What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Finished a 4 yard concrete pour with my dad on my day off...also filling feed buckets for my chickens. Lil dusty!
8iNMFws.jpg

Now time to relax before coaching out in this smokey air.

That's clearly a well-used hard working knife Taylor :) :thumbsup:

Mike mentioned in one of his overview videos on his website that the 44s represent one of GEC's finest efforts when releasing a new pattern (or something along those lines). I would have to agree with him, both the Cocobolo and Ebony examples I have are absolutely top notch. I look forward to seeing yours when you get it in.

Thank you, Jack. These 44s are GEC's latest production and the first run on this specific pattern. I am rather pleased with them, especially considering I was not familiar with the pattern at all.

I am looking forward to seeing your 44, Paul. I hope you are as pleased with it as I am with mine. More on my mysterious afternoon carry below. ;)

Thank you, Ron. And thank you for your efforts towards supporting the Wounded Warrior project. I am a bit bummed that I didn't reserve a Stag 44 as I am starting to take a liking to Stag more and more these days. I am really looking forward to seeing yours when you get it in. Best of luck on the raffle! That one-of-kind knife is very striking.

Earlier I mentioned that I was eagerly awaiting a package in the mail today with a knife that I was certain would scoot the #44 out of my pocket for the remainder of the day, if not the weekend. This is a knife that I was greatly anticipating before its release and was subsequently crestfallen when I missed out on securing one. Regardless, I kept my chin up as best I could and began quietly searching for one that might be available for a price I was willing to pay. Despite my reservations when it comes to inflated pricing, I try not to dictate to others what they can or cannot ask for their knives when it comes to its monetary value, it is simply never my place.

Perry (@singin50) reached out to me recently with an offer I couldn't refuse and I am now the very proud new owner of Charlie's most recent TC SFO, the Ancient in Muscadine Sawcut Bone. This is a knife that I got to discuss the specifics, in person, with Charlie and I can quite honestly say that it was his enthusiasm and knowledge behind the features of this knife that I found so engaging. There is an immense amount of soul in this knife and I cannot tell you all how happy I am to finally have one.

Thank you so very much, Perry, for making this available to me. And thank you, Charlie (@waynorth), for arranging an incredible SFO. This knife is a treasure, one I'd be very loathe to part with.

VyoGZyw.jpg

Congratulations on the Ancient Dylan, Perry is a class act :) :thumbsup:

Nice carries everyone. I enjoy perusing once I get home:thumbsup: worked up by the Lake today staining a deck. A wee bit humid and overcast, not like I need help breaking a bead:eek::D stopped by the dam/spill way on my way home to hit the overlook:thumbsup: Had my Bushboot and a favorite TC with me today. The 2013 Spear/pen in ebony served a role as a loaner to my good friend Duncan in NZ due to the loss of his Single spear 2013 TC in ebony. That lost TC has now turned up to Duncans surprise and joy;)

7P42TX.jpg

pFPr5H.jpg

The Dam and spill way...
8r9UbZ.jpg

rxRKSH.jpg

Pelicans enjoying a casual Friday:cool::p
aOZbt1.jpg

Enjoy the weekend everyone:thumbsup:

Great pics Paul :) I completely missed that Duncan had found his well-travelled knife! :eek: That was a very kind act loaning him yours, you're a true friend :) I'm glad you have it back with you though, and that Duncan has his single spear again :) :thumbsup:

Hope everyone has a great weekend :) I'm having a Double Lambsfoot Day! :D :thumbsup:

2018 Ebony Guardians Lambsfoot 14-3.JPG

AW Small Sambar LF (2) 5-4.JPG

Old Engineer Old Engineer Harry, thanks so much for the helpful follow-up on my "mystery Russell" barlow. I'm chasing down the tips you've provided in this and the other threads.
joeradza joeradza , jwb01 jwb01 , SteveC SteveC , Travman Travman That's a passel of pretty knife pictures posted by y'all this morning. I'm totin' a 1981 NKCA "Big Cigar" by Queen today. Not much cuttin' on my horizon, except for clipping a cigar or two later today/tonight. This should do the job.

sc307Fq.jpg

zZbfV5r.jpg

v7KDnjO.jpg

- Stuart

Old Engineer Old Engineer Harry, thanks so much for the helpful follow-up on my "mystery Russell" barlow. I'm chasing down the tips you've provided in this and the other threads.
joeradza joeradza , jwb01 jwb01 , SteveC SteveC , Travman Travman That's a passel of pretty knife pictures posted by y'all this morning. I'm totin' a 1981 NKCA "Big Cigar" by Queen today. Not much cuttin' on my horizon, except for clipping a cigar or two later today/tonight. This should do the job.

sc307Fq.jpg

zZbfV5r.jpg

v7KDnjO.jpg

- Stuart
Thanks Stuart. Awful nice stag on that Queen. Blades look pretty much like a canoe.

Lambsfoot today :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black care to venture a guess on the age of this one ?

KW9vI6uh.jpg

qgLjrCGh.jpg

Nice Lambsfoot Steve. Wright's still use that exact same blade blank, do the same pattern, use the same stamp. Even the Sambar scales do not mean that it was made before the Indian Government ban on stag exports, it took a while for that ban to bite in Sheffield, and even now, Wright's occasionally turn out one of those 'Candle-end' models with Sambar. I got one last year. The stag has mellowed, but the Sambar they're using was often cut decades ago for cutlery handles, and the construction (number of pins) is exactly the same as today. So, your knife could be 5 years old, 10 years old, or 20 years old. You could perhaps hazard a guess from the amount of wear it has had, but that might merely indicate that it was used a lot, rather than that it was used over a longer period. In terms of the construction, I think that Wright's have pulled their socks up a lot in terms of QC, but that is only over the past couple of years, so again, the quality of construction tells us little. I'm assuming it has brass liners, if not, that would indicate an older knife. My guess would be that it was made within the past 20 years, but it's hard to say more than that, particularly without examining it. It could be older, but it isn't an old knife. It might help if you said where you acquired the knife :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Got the Jeep packed and ready to head out and do a little four wheeling. We are going to go patrol one of the local 4x4 trails that my club sponsors. Should be a fun day in the Sierras with a nice picnic at the top overlooking a small lake. Slid the #43 into my back pocket next to my wallet. It should be able to handle whatever pops up today.

Back