1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    @Markesharp Very nice to see you around again my friend . I hope that you are doing well !!!!

Harry

Markesharp likes this.
  2. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    That's clearly a well-used hard working knife Taylor :) :thumbsup:

Congratulations on the Ancient Dylan, Perry is a class act :) :thumbsup:

Great pics Paul :) I completely missed that Duncan had found his well-travelled knife! :eek: That was a very kind act loaning him yours, you're a true friend :) I'm glad you have it back with you though, and that Duncan has his single spear again :) :thumbsup:

Hope everyone has a great weekend :) I'm having a Double Lambsfoot Day! :D :thumbsup:

2018 Ebony Guardians Lambsfoot 14-3.JPG

AW Small Sambar LF (2) 5-4.JPG

Spaten, VashHash, Jolipapa and 23 others like this.
  3. DelOro

DelOro Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2016
    In honor of "Tropical Fruit Salad Saturday" might I present a rotten "Rotten Banana" for your consideration! :rolleyes: :p :D

[​IMG]

budman5, Spaten, Jolipapa and 22 others like this.
  4. Jolipapa

Jolipapa Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Today will be lazy day. Too much ozone in the air to do any chore, even in the garden. So a tiny and capable 303 will do the (no) job! :)
    Buck_303_2016.jpg

Spaten, HWF, Amir Fleschwund and 21 others like this.
  5. Aryan29

Aryan29

May 20, 2018
    Joker Wood&Stag+Thrower.
    Weekend combo...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  6. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Think I'm going to have that sort of day too JP ;) Your PM box was full yesterday, so I sent you an email :thumbsup:

7. Jolipapa

Jolipapa Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Jack my box is empty now, and I did not receive your mail.:(

8. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Going small today.
    IMG_4813.JPG

JJ Cahill, Laurelbb, Spaten and 28 others like this.
  9. jwb01

jwb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 6, 2016
    86CDF31A-BB7D-40A0-9CE6-4ED67DA85678.jpeg

Pennacnp, budman5, Spaten and 24 others like this.
  10. Travman

Travman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2016
    77E82DC3-8A5A-4D03-8D16-736B135BB004.jpeg

JJ Cahill, Spaten, Ratbert and 27 others like this.
  11. dc50

dc50 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2006
    A couple older GEC models 72 and 73 Beaver Tails
    GEC Beaver Tail.JPG

Spaten, Ratbert, Old Hunter and 22 others like this.
  12. SteveC

SteveC Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Lambsfoot today :thumbsup:

@Jack Black care to venture a guess on the age of this one ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spaten, VashHash, Ratbert and 23 others like this.
  13. Duckdog

Duckdog Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2012
    @Old Engineer Harry, thanks so much for the helpful follow-up on my "mystery Russell" barlow. I'm chasing down the tips you've provided in this and the other threads.
    @joeradza , @jwb01 , @SteveC , @Travman That's a passel of pretty knife pictures posted by y'all this morning. I'm totin' a 1981 NKCA "Big Cigar" by Queen today. Not much cuttin' on my horizon, except for clipping a cigar or two later today/tonight. This should do the job.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Stuart

JJ Cahill, Spaten, Ratbert and 26 others like this.
  14. joeradza

Feb 6, 2014
    Thanks Stuart. Awful nice stag on that Queen. Blades look pretty much like a canoe.

Prester John likes this.
  15. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Nice Lambsfoot Steve. Wright's still use that exact same blade blank, do the same pattern, use the same stamp. Even the Sambar scales do not mean that it was made before the Indian Government ban on stag exports, it took a while for that ban to bite in Sheffield, and even now, Wright's occasionally turn out one of those 'Candle-end' models with Sambar. I got one last year. The stag has mellowed, but the Sambar they're using was often cut decades ago for cutlery handles, and the construction (number of pins) is exactly the same as today. So, your knife could be 5 years old, 10 years old, or 20 years old. You could perhaps hazard a guess from the amount of wear it has had, but that might merely indicate that it was used a lot, rather than that it was used over a longer period. In terms of the construction, I think that Wright's have pulled their socks up a lot in terms of QC, but that is only over the past couple of years, so again, the quality of construction tells us little. I'm assuming it has brass liners, if not, that would indicate an older knife. My guess would be that it was made within the past 20 years, but it's hard to say more than that, particularly without examining it. It could be older, but it isn't an old knife. It might help if you said where you acquired the knife :thumbsup:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  16. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    @joeradza
    Alan's "what have you got on order " post prompted me to bring this one along today.
    Have a great weekend, folks!
    [​IMG]

budman5, Spaten, VashHash and 22 others like this.
  17. joeradza

Feb 6, 2014
    Identical twin. Now I'm getting excited.

Peregrin and Duckdog like this.
  18. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Got the Jeep packed and ready to head out and do a little four wheeling. We are going to go patrol one of the local 4x4 trails that my club sponsors. Should be a fun day in the Sierras with a nice picnic at the top overlooking a small lake. Slid the #43 into my back pocket next to my wallet. It should be able to handle whatever pops up today.

[​IMG]

Spaten, Ratbert, Old Hunter and 21 others like this.
  19. Markesharp

Markesharp

Mar 8, 2014
    Thanks Harry! Since I bought my company I have been so busy. I am now making some knives again and will post some pic's when I get a chance.
    Take care.

20. willard0341

willard0341 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2013
    I’ve been carrying the snake wood, the other two are just along for the ride. Top one is cocobolo image.jpg

MBeckett, Laurelbb, Spaten and 26 others like this.