What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

5lKUjW8.jpg

I'm starting to learn what type of lighting really makes M390 look good, and I think I'm getting it right!

Beautiful. Perfect lighting there. Now I'm not a big fan of sheepsfoot blades, actually it is my least favorite blade shape, but that swedge is do die for!

Thanks for sharing!

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. I spent a few hours combing through the flea market today and really didn't find much of anything other than a few Sabre's and busted up Ulster boy scout knife. Flea markets suck out here for good vintage stuff like that. Anyway, otherwise been a nutty day for me...so carrying this around.
CV_Peanut.jpg

Last edited:
Mike mentioned in one of his overview videos on his website that the 44s represent one of GEC's finest efforts when releasing a new pattern (or something along those lines). I would have to agree with him, both the Cocobolo and Ebony examples I have are absolutely top notch. I look forward to seeing yours when you get it in.

Thank you, Jack. These 44s are GEC's latest production and the first run on this specific pattern. I am rather pleased with them, especially considering I was not familiar with the pattern at all.

I am looking forward to seeing your 44, Paul. I hope you are as pleased with it as I am with mine. More on my mysterious afternoon carry below. ;)

Thank you, Ron. And thank you for your efforts towards supporting the Wounded Warrior project. I am a bit bummed that I didn't reserve a Stag 44 as I am starting to take a liking to Stag more and more these days. I am really looking forward to seeing yours when you get it in. Best of luck on the raffle! That one-of-kind knife is very striking.

Earlier I mentioned that I was eagerly awaiting a package in the mail today with a knife that I was certain would scoot the #44 out of my pocket for the remainder of the day, if not the weekend. This is a knife that I was greatly anticipating before its release and was subsequently crestfallen when I missed out on securing one. Regardless, I kept my chin up as best I could and began quietly searching for one that might be available for a price I was willing to pay. Despite my reservations when it comes to inflated pricing, I try not to dictate to others what they can or cannot ask for their knives when it comes to its monetary value, it is simply never my place.

Perry (@singin50) reached out to me recently with an offer I couldn't refuse and I am now the very proud new owner of Charlie's most recent TC SFO, the Ancient in Muscadine Sawcut Bone. This is a knife that I got to discuss the specifics, in person, with Charlie and I can quite honestly say that it was his enthusiasm and knowledge behind the features of this knife that I found so engaging. There is an immense amount of soul in this knife and I cannot tell you all how happy I am to finally have one.

Thank you so very much, Perry, for making this available to me. And thank you, Charlie (@waynorth), for arranging an incredible SFO. This knife is a treasure, one I'd be very loathe to part with.

That's the best knife news I've heard all week! Congratulations, Dylan! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Carry it and you'll love it more each day.

A Gerber Silver Knight built by Sakai. Hitachi Gin-1 blade steel at 58-60 HRC blade hardness. Immaculate machining. One of my favorites.

G0HAcL7.jpg
Many of those Japanese knives from around 1970 or so are underappreciated. They are commonly available for reasonable prices.

1st Sat. of the month, so cooking for the men’s breakfast this morning.
This church we do it in has a nice kitchen with a big commercial range, but last month I discovered that the drawer that has all of the cooking tools had been completely stripped of all knives.
Maybe the state made them do it because they run a daycare down there.
The thing is, those knives are hopelessly dull.
Of course, I always have my own cutlery!
Today I chose this Case grand daddy, and it did the job.View attachment 959638Last night my dog got the business end of a skunk!:mad:
So today he got a good scrubbing with tomato juice, then a double shampooing.
I sure hope he learned from this.:rolleyes:

Beautiful. Perfect lighting there. Now I'm not a big fan of sheepsfoot blades, actually it is my least favorite blade shape, but that swedge is do die for!

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the praise! I thought the same thing about Sheepsfoot blades for the longest time too, a knife with no point? Psshhh.. Haha.

That knife was my first (semi)traditional with that blade style, and I have to say I really love it. That "point" is finer than a lot of my Clip Points and Drop Points, if I even gently touch it to my finger I feel it. The straight edge makes for one heck of slicer too. As for the swedge.. I agree completely. That's something I've come to appreciate with my slippies, adds some class and puncture power.

Back