What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Say hello to my new all time favorite! :D
RQc45VV.jpg

Made some modifications to the Opinel nr 10 I bought few days ago.

I gotta do this.

But I get the most enjoyment from carrying and using a knife.

Boy, do I agree with that approach with most things in life - old knives, old guns, old whisky, old dogs, and old friends. Get as much as you can out them while you have them.
- Stuart

Shorts weather in San Diego. Out watering with a Buck 303 in my pocket because it's built like a brick telephone booth. It's bomb proof and water proof. It ain't fancy but it gets the job done. I like these modern ones better than the old Camillus design. I'm extremely familiar with the Camillus Buck 303. I carried one daily for about a decade. The new ones are a better design.

This pic has three generations of 303's.
Top is my old Camillus-Buck I bought somewhere in the late 70's.
Middle is a 1997 made in-house with the flat grind.
Third is a current production. It's the one in my pocket
HomVkgd.jpg

Good looking bail Paul!! You didn’t care for the bent up coat hanger? Haha
Thanks Willard, the original bail certainly works best for the knife but curiosity got the best of me and I swapped the original bail with one off my Beer Scout. I had to thin it out a little bit at the tips and I really like it as another option:thumbsup:

Shorts weather in San Diego. Out watering with a Buck 303 in my pocket because it's built like a brick telephone booth. It's bomb proof and water proof. It ain't fancy but it gets the job done. I like these modern ones better than the old Camillus design. I'm extremely familiar with the Camillus Buck 303. I carried one daily for about a decade. The new ones are a better design.

This pic has three generations of 303's.
Top is my old Camillus-Buck I bought somewhere in the late 70's.
Middle is a 1997 made in-house with the flat grind.
Third is a current production. It's the one in my pocket
HomVkgd.jpg

May I ask why you like the Camillus less?
I personally love the Cam blade with the swedge. It is also ffg, no?

May I ask why you like the Camillus less?
I personally love the Cam blade with the swedge. It is also ffg, no?

I like the modern Buck because it functions better.
When Buck took over making the 300 series, they redesigned the knives.
♦ The sheepsfoot got moved to the side away from the main blade That makes it easier for me to open the sheepsfoot. Makes the spey a bit more awkward to get to, but I use a sheepsfoot a LOT more than I use a spey.

♦ The three spring design means they didn't have to crink the sheepsfoot. So when you open it, it comes straight out instead of coming out at an angle. That makes it more controllable and easier to cut a straight line, which is what I mostly want to do with a sheepsfoot blade.

♦ The 420HC is hardened to a higher hardness than the Camillus, so the modern Buck actually holds an edge better.

♦ The "edge 2000" extreme hollow grind profile works better for what I do with a knife. It doesn't work well for peeling apples, but works great for pretty much everything else.

For a working knife, the modern Buck is just a better design, even if the Camillus Buck is a bit more elegant.

My wife and i are going to an outdoor concert tonight where we'll eat dinner on the lawn. I'm totin' this Puma (Solingen) Nr. 945 lock back multitool. There won't be a bottle I can't open or cheese/sausage that I can't cut (or an unruly lawn patron that I can't dispatch and field dress on the spot, though I'll settle for the cheese/sausage).

ZOQ3s8d.jpg

o0f9eCO.jpg

aCQN7py.jpg

- Stuart

That's some killer stag Stuart :) Hope you had a great evening out :) :thumbsup:

Glasgow just like I pictured it.
zCCaS7T.jpg

Nice to see that Lambsfoot getting around :) It's certainly an unpretentious town! :D Hope that wasn't taken with the Beverages & Blades thread in mind my friend! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

FI019851.JPG

I know I should really carry something fancy for Sunday, but the force is strong in these two ;) Have a good one folks :) :thumbsup:

2018 Ebony Guardians Lambsfoot 21-2.JPG

2018 Ancient 5-4.JPG

That's some killer stag Stuart :) Hope you had a great evening out :) :thumbsup:

Nice to see that Lambsfoot getting around :) It's certainly an unpretentious town! :D Hope that wasn't taken with the Beverages & Blades thread in mind my friend! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

View attachment 964137

I know I should really carry something fancy for Sunday, but the force is strong in these two ;) Have a good one folks :) :thumbsup:

View attachment 964138

View attachment 964139
Did GEC produce the barlow like that or is it actually worn pretty heavily? :D Anyway, two beautiful pieces

Those weren’t my beverages Jack! Just a bit of atmosphere in the lanes around here. Thanks again my friend!

Back