What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Brewerfest continues with a 3.5" swayback jack in preban bark and razorblade stainless. If not my sharpest knife, certainly in the top few.

brewerivoryswaybackjack-1.jpg

brewerivoryswaybackjack-2.jpg

Last edited:
Brewerfest continues with a 3.5" swayback jack in preban bark and razorblade stainless. If not my sharpest knife, certainly in the top few.

brewerivoryswaybackjack-1.jpg

brewerivoryswaybackjack-2.jpg
That's such a beautiful knife, I could never bring myself to using it. :D I would buy a second one for my user. :p

Thanks, Jack, and we had a great time. I was able to open my wife's wine, my beers, and was able to use the gut hook to help the young couple next to us get some olives out of a jar for their Bloody Marys. I was a hero (and too polite to tell them what that hooked tool was designed to do).

A veritable forest of fine woods. Which did you choose to carry? I'd have grabbed several and walked around with pooching pockets.

- Stuart
The Paul Mason Gents No8 Today.

Last edited:
Very nice ebony on your lambsfoot, Gary! My knife tree has a diverse crop, its true! ;)
Thanks, Dean. :)

Still carrying that little peanut, and here's a shot with a candid of me and my youngest grandson at my daughter's wedding last year ;)

Peanut by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2
Cool photo and peanut, G3 (third G for Grandfather ;))! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Ha ha yeah, I noticed I'm starting to sound more and more like my dearly departed Dad. I guess these ole colloquial sayings imprint on a fellow whether we like them or not. :p The closed knife is a Rosewood Lambsfoot I believe the #53 wormwood is a sheepsfoot .
Sunlight on that rosewood really brings out its character! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Thanks, GT, and that's a fine companion for the trip.
- Stuart
Thanks, Stuart. :)

I'm lagging behind :D
9aPoPTB.jpg
Lovely Lag, Will! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

After physical therapy in my garage shop clinic, she is now looking better and there is once again a snap in her step.:)
View attachment 963501
That old gal is looking fantastic, Jeff! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

... There won't be a bottle I can't open or cheese/sausage that I can't cut (or an unruly lawn patron that I can't dispatch and field dress on the spot, though I'll settle for the cheese/sausage).
aCQN7py.jpg

- Stuart
What a stunning stag specimen, Stuart! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup: (And I've never even considered the possibility of field dressing an unruly lawn patron until now! :eek::D)

... I was able to open my wife's wine, my beers, and was able to use the gut hook to help the young couple next to us get some olives out of a jar for their Bloody Marys. I was a hero (and too polite to tell them what that hooked tool was designed to do).
- Stuart
:D:thumbsup::thumbsup::D

Great to see your Lambsfootsss guys :) :thumbsup:
Thanks, Jack. :)

A Case couplet today.

That pair is pure poetry, Dean! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Doubling down on the Carhartt temptations, eh, John?? ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Wow, those really match nicely, Tom! :cool::cool::thumbsup: One bone, one ram's horn?

Impressive ironwood, Lance! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

View attachment 963750

These two again, for another former student’s wedding. Sorry for the recycled picture.
Perfect pair for formal wear, Joshua! ;):cool::thumbsup:

I can read "stainless" in several places on the knife, but my eyes aren't good enough to pick out who made it. o_O Love that crinkly bone, Nick! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

az8kf9.jpg

... But I get the most enjoyment from carrying and using a knife. ...
I agree with that approach, MH! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Beautiful gunstock, @TheFactor ! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Outstanding tortoise, and that laced slip is awesome; congrats, Perry! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Lloyd and Lambsfoot are a laudable pairing, Taylor! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bar shield 15 for me today:thumbsup:
urB9NV.jpg

You've been posting some magnificent 15s lately, Paul! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

... I like these modern ones better than the old Camillus design. I'm extremely familiar with the Camillus Buck 303. I carried one daily for about a decade. The new ones are a better design.

This pic has three generations of 303's.
Top is my old Camillus-Buck I bought somewhere in the late 70's.
Middle is a 1997 made in-house with the flat grind.
Third is a current production. It's the one in my pocket
HomVkgd.jpg
I like the modern Buck because it functions better.
When Buck took over making the 300 series, they redesigned the knives.
♦ The sheepsfoot got moved to the side away from the main blade That makes it easier for me to open the sheepsfoot. Makes the spey a bit more awkward to get to, but I use a sheepsfoot a LOT more than I use a spey.

♦ The three spring design means they didn't have to crink the sheepsfoot. So when you open it, it comes straight out instead of coming out at an angle. That makes it more controllable and easier to cut a straight line, which is what I mostly want to do with a sheepsfoot blade.

♦ The 420HC is hardened to a higher hardness than the Camillus, so the modern Buck actually holds an edge better.

♦ The "edge 2000" extreme hollow grind profile works better for what I do with a knife. It doesn't work well for peeling apples, but works great for pretty much everything else.

For a working knife, the modern Buck is just a better design, even if the Camillus Buck is a bit more elegant.
Great multigenerational photo, and convincing exposition of your preference, Frank! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Yeah, but other than that...:D

Very detailed answer, and it makes sense. Thx
:D:D

Strong start to the new week, Jack! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Overwhelmed!! :eek::eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Black Box Centre Swell

dm4S7za.jpg
Phenomenal pen, Will! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Work carry

38991976_10160726955120613_9006640616934735872_n.jpg
That works! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Two splendid knives, Alan! :thumbsup::cool::cool: (But if you're requesting input, I don't think they pair well, visually. :rolleyes:)

View attachment 964189 A couple of frankenmods for today.
Did you do the mods yourself, Jeff? Nice work! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I spent four times what I like to on this Western, but as soon as I put it back in the case to think about it, I started worrying about missing out on it.
yMhUEPj.jpg

I guess it was because I just bought 17 knives last week, and felt I shouldn't need another. Glad I came to my senses in time.
Budgets?? We don't need no steenking budgets! :p

Today, I'm packing a Parker pearl pillbuster (3 7/8").
7MtmsIV.jpg

- Stuart
Heavenly!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: I really need to hunt down a pearl (or more likely, faux pearl) knife to replace my old "church knife" that was an 8th grade graduation gift from my parents, but it disappeared after I went off to college. :(

This Recruit and Minichamp have been seeing some periodic use over the past week:
recruit.open.jpg

minichamp.closed.cedarville.jpg

- GT

Sunlight on that rosewood really brings out its character! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

What a stunning stag specimen, Stuart! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup: (And I've never even considered the possibility of field dressing an unruly lawn patron until now! :eek::D)

Wow, those really match nicely, Tom! :cool::cool::thumbsup: One bone, one ram's horn?

I can read "stainless" in several places on the knife, but my eyes aren't good enough to pick out who made it. o_O Love that crinkly bone, Nick! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Outstanding tortoise, and that laced slip is awesome; congrats, Perry! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

You've been posting some magnificent 15s lately, Paul! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Great multigenerational photo, and convincing exposition of your preference, Frank! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Two splendid knives, Alan! :thumbsup::cool::cool: (But if you're requesting input, I don't think they pair well, visually. :rolleyes:)

Heavenly!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: I really need to hunt down a pearl (or more likely, faux pearl) knife to replace my old "church knife" that was an 8th grade graduation gift from my parents, but it disappeared after I went off to college. :(

This Recruit and Minichamp have been seeing some periodic use over the past week:
View attachment 964333

View attachment 964334

- GT
Thank you Gary, you have infinite options with the Recruit and Minichamp:thumbsup:

5K Qs 5K Qs
Not only don't they look good together they don't work together. I was pairing different knives with the whittler to see how they might work. I think it should be a single blade.

- GT

Glad you like that ol gal! I love an old knife with soul.

Yes, the mods are all mine, every mistake, do-over, etc. No one else to blame.:oops:

Thanks, GT.

A lost knife leaves a longing memory. I know. Do you remember what it was? Regardless, keep a firm grip on that Recruit, as it is a winner.
- Stuart

Last edited:
Good looking bail Paul!! You didn’t care for the bent up coat hanger? Haha
I made the bail for my Camillus from a piece of coat hanger! :D:thumbsup:

Work carry

38991976_10160726955120613_9006640616934735872_n.jpg
I have one of these that I found, but the previous owner was hard on it, after cleaning it up and tightening the bolsters its now part of my "ancients" collection;). Yours is a very fine example, hopefully I'll find one equally as nice one day.:thumbsup:

View attachment 964333

View attachment 964334

- GT

Thanks GT!

What’s the square hook for on the bottom knife?

Back