What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Today, I'm totin' a Throwback Thursday toothpick - a Queen City (Titusville, PA) in old Rogers bone from 1925-1932. Even at 5", it snuggles right into the front pocket bottom of my jeans.

wh3NBAa.jpg

ILSCUbM.jpg

J13asqp.jpg

I hope that all of y'all who are in Hurricane Florence's path, e.g., @Misplaced Hillbilly , are prepared and stay safe. My family members from my hometown of Morehead City, NC, are now up with us in Northern Virginia, at least away from the storm surge (though the Potomac River is pulsing pretty good right now).
- Stuart

I'm reading through several translations of the Iliad for fun this school year. I finished the Fitzgerald this summer, and I've got this one by Rouse, and one by Lattimore and one by Rieu on the way.
All good translations which I have read. Would like to tackle Chapman next, if I can get a nice edition.
On First Looking into Chapman's Homer
BY JOHN KEATS
Much have I travell'd in the realms of gold,
And many goodly states and kingdoms seen;
Round many western islands have I been
Which bards in fealty to Apollo hold.
Oft of one wide expanse had I been told
That deep-brow'd Homer ruled as his demesne;
Yet did I never breathe its pure serene
Till I heard Chapman speak out loud and bold:
Then felt I like some watcher of the skies
When a new planet swims into his ken;
Or like stout Cortez when with eagle eyes
He star'd at the Pacific—and all his men
Look'd at each other with a wild surmise—
Silent, upon a peak in Darien.

Today, I'm totin' a Throwback Thursday toothpick - a Queen City (Titusville, PA) in old Rogers bone from 1925-1932. Even at 5", it snuggles right into the front pocket bottom of my jeans.
The alliteration would be better if you put "Texas" right before "toothpick"! Maybe fit in a "terrific" too.

View attachment 984447

This is my small Case knife collection. Half old and half new. I have to say that the current Case knives are far better than most seem to give them credit for.

@5K Qs , I included the GEC 43, because you asked about it GT. This knife was a special run for the Oregon Collector’s Club. I was fortunate to snag one. GEC usually does the Beavertail Shield with jigged wood, not bone. I really like this version and believe it was probably the best of the 43’s.

Last edited:
Whetstone39 Whetstone39 Who is the maker for that sheath and what is the overall length for that fixed blade? Looks perfect for my M1...

Claude Scott made the pocket sheath, overall length is 6.1 inches on the city knife. Can’t recommend Claude’s work enough; he made this with a pocket clip for right-front-pocket carry.

Quick Release oil while working the action has smoothed it up a bit. Not quite pinchable yet with my arthritis, but fairly easy to open with the long pull. Tie, tie clip, and watch were my Dad's. His dad, my grandfather, was accidentally blinded in one eye at birth, making life even tougher if you were born in the 1890s. Grandpa F was a Baptist preacher, which paid zero, so if they didn't grow it, they didn't eat it. My dad, the youngest of three boys, got his first pair of shoes, hand-me-down shoes, when he went to first grade. Got an eighth grade education, then with his parents help he lied about his age and went in the Navy in WWII. After the war ended he came home and got lucky to land a job with the Rock Island railroad. The job required an accurate watch, he had to have one, and had to make payments on it. In the 70s Bulova came out with a railroad approved Accutron wristwatch. My dad's friends who could manage their money all had one. My dad wanted one real bad, but he spent every penny he made on bills or other items, so Dad had to continue to carry his pocketwatch. Towards the end of my junior year of highschool, 1973, landed a full time job at Hensley's Mobil Truck Stop, $1.60 per hour. Pumping gas, diesel, propane, fixing car and truck flats, hot in the summer, cold in the winter, honest work for a 16 year old young man. Better than my previous part time work in restaurants, busing tables, washing dishes, mopping floors, cutting up salad, chickens or whatever needed done. Spent the money on my Camaro, motorcycles, girls, a couple underage beers if possible on the weekend. However, for Dad's 45th birthday, August 25, 1973, bought him this watch. $125 new at Stephens Jewelers, took an entire two-week check to pay for it. He was so proud … he loved it and wore it everyday till his passing, then I wore it until buying my first mechanical watch. Tis a little beat up with a few nicks here and there, but priceless to me.

GEC14rustredsawcutbone-4.jpg

For Wooden Wednesday.
:thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
Lol Ron, WITHOUT A DOUBT my friend, Nanc is the key here:thumbsup::D Now I have to admit that Harry and I are a couple of good lookin, rugged manly men (yes I suffered a sever head injury early in life) but Nanc certainly classes us up immensely:eek::p
Y’all must be rugged manly men to look good in short pants!:eek:

Very nice that you all got a little visit.

@Old Engineer ~ as my old boss at the LP gas company I worked for in the ‘80s said every time I pulled out with my bulk tank truck, “Keep ‘er rubber side down!”

Quick Release oil while working the action has smoothed it up a bit. Not quite pinchable yet with my arthritis, but fairly easy to open with the long pull. Tie, tie clip, and watch were my Dad's. His dad, my grandfather, was accidentally blinded in one eye at birth, making life even tougher if you were born in the 1890s. Grandpa F was a Baptist preacher, which paid zero, so if they didn't grow it, they didn't eat it. My dad, the youngest of three boys, got his first pair of shoes, hand-me-down shoes, when he went to first grade. Got an eighth grade education, then with his parents help he lied about his age and went in the Navy in WWII. After the war ended he came home and got lucky to land a job with the Rock Island railroad. The job required an accurate watch, he had to have one, and had to make payments on it. In the 70s Bulova came out with a railroad approved Accutron wristwatch. My dad's friends who could manage their money all had one. My dad wanted one real bad, but he spent every penny he made on bills or other items, so Dad had to continue to carry his pocketwatch. Towards the end of my junior year of highschool, 1973, landed a full time job at Hensley's Mobil Truck Stop, $1.60 per hour. Pumping gas, diesel, propane, fixing car and truck flats, hot in the summer, cold in the winter, honest work for a 16 year old young man. Better than my previous part time work in restaurants, busing tables, washing dishes, mopping floors, cutting up salad, chickens or whatever needed done. Spent the money on my Camaro, motorcycles, girls, a couple underage beers if possible on the weekend. However, for Dad's 45th birthday, August 25, 1973, bought him this watch. $125 new at Stephens Jewelers, took an entire two-week check to pay for it. He was so proud … he loved it and wore it everyday till his passing, then I wore it until buying my first mechanical watch. Tis a little beat up with a few nicks here and there, but priceless to me.

Nice read, John.
Stuff with family history is best stuff.

Thank you for sharing!

Great memories John.

11vtcw3.jpg

These 3 with me as we're getting ready for the hurricane, dang didn't know when I picked Rough Riders for this week what a rough ride this week was going to be:eek:,

Glad to hear you are prepping for this!
Heard from friends in South Carolina. Found out that during their last weather scare, they ran out and bought a generator. But like so many in today's grasshopper mentality society, they promptly returned in a few days later after dodging the bullet.
Now, it's too late.

Good luck, buddy!

Wonderful post John about your family. It brought back memories of my own. The wristwatch was a real back-in-time moment. I worked for Missouri Pacific as a brakeman/conductor from 1976 to 1980 and wore the same time piece. Very much enjoy you sharing it.

Back