What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

I think some Ebony is appropriate for today. Have a great Wednesday! :)

45023858022_457e36bb85_b_d.jpg

Ron, there's ebony and then there's ebony. What you have there is gem-quality EBONY! :thumbsup::thumbsup::eek::)

Me too, but in miniature. ;)

Is that white clad knife the re-hafted swell center serpentine? If so, that's a fine job.

I decided to spend the night at the beach after surfing yesterday evening so I could surf again at dawn this morning. Didn’t go home to change knives so it’s still the Fight’n rooster lockback and this Camillus pen. Sorry to bore you guys.

Good backstory and a fine picture aren't boring, Nick. Thanks for sharing. I hope the break was as good the second time around.

That's a beauty !

Thanks, Steve, and you did a good job reviving and showing your Sword cigar.
- Stuart

Good backstory and a fine picture aren't boring, Nick. Thanks for sharing. I hope the break was as good the second time around.

Thanks Stuart. Waves actually got smaller since it’s the tail end leftovers of hurricane Rosa. It was solid down in Orange County a couple days ago but I had to work. Fall is my favorite time of year because it’s less crowded with the kids back in school and the weather and water temps are still warm. It’s also hurricane season(the good kind that sends good waves), good time to be in SoCal. The Schatt jack you toting today is the epitome of a classic jack knife.:thumbsup: And I see you might be getting ready for your afternoon happy hour?:)

I’ve been a little absent the last week due to a busy schedule and being a little under the weather. I need to shake it because I’m leaving for elk hunting on Friday. The last week I didn’t put much thought into what I packed, I just grabbed a knife and went. The Small Tinker got the jobs done over the weekend and the Boker the last couple of days. The Boker is starting to get a little patina showing on the blade now which is kinda neat.

31_D57_AAE-5_F05-4_B3_B-84_AD-336_D416613_E6.jpg

Another beauty, Steve, I'm going to send you some folding money to post an ugly knife.

The source and the occasion seal the deal - my favorite knife shown today!

Thanks, Gev. Old stuff, but instructive, maybe.

That knife is intoxicating, Dean.

Thanks, Willard. That "line/pipe" ... Thanks for sharing your adventures (daily events to you) with us.

Great theme for a country song, right there, See below.

Thanks, Nick, they and their kin are available on the auction site.

It could be, but ... I digress no more.

Per post by @Dschal[/USER

[MEDIA=youtube]43vfvIwK9iE[/MEDIA]

- Stuart
Stuart, I really enjoy reading your extensive commentary on knives posted in this thread! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Piano keys for me today ;) :thumbsup:
Notable Eb&Iv pair, Jack; you're a virtuoso! ;):thumbsup::cool:

Terrific triple, indeed, Joshua; all single blades, but still LOTS of variety in that trio! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: The size differences reminded me of the 3 bears whose home was invaded by Goldilocks! ;)

This morning I’m pairing a Schrade USA 34OT, a recent pickup from the exchange, with my Ashley’s Choice Sambar Lambsfoot. :)

43218093350_240b74e521_b_d.jpg
Something old and something new ... :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Two Schrade Tuesday View attachment 996513881Y & 293Y
Magnificent mellow yellow, Jeff! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

We are having a large deceased hickory cut down today. It's too close to the house for my meager skills, so I'm just supervising (and paying). These are my supervising knives for this Twofer Twosday. Sawdust, here I come!

aEhBrnP.jpg

And, yes, I'm keeping the wood for the fireplaces and the smoker.
- Stuart
Match made in heaven! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Tooth and Bone Tuesday.
dFDrPaV.jpg
I didn't even know that was a thing, but it's hard to deny the desirability of that pair! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Red and Ralf for me today.

5A0LWd5.jpg
Study in contrasts, Jeff: black/red, ebony/Alox, lambsfoot/spear, single-blade/multi-"blade" :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks GT! And OUCH! I wonder if the steak-on-the-eye trick of old actually helped or not :). At least you could eat the steak I guess. ;)

I have some cardboard to break down that is fairly uniform, I am going to do a side-by-side, completely unscientific comparison with a 30 degree inclusive and the 40 degree SBj's this week as a "test" of sorts.

Mine today, Mike did a great job with the original Plow, very much looking forward to the upgraded version.

What's a more fitting pair than a Farmer and a Plow? Dynamite duo, Tom! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Looking forward to hearing about the results of your edge-retention test. :thumbsup::cool::cool: I haven't been in enough fights to try the steak-on-shiner treatment. :rolleyes:

Today's carry. This knife sharpened up real well - kinda scary sharp. Case CV Slimline Trapper.

The scarlet slender slicer must be satisfying, Dean! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: I like the slimline trapper so much better than a normal full-size trapper, even though the length is comparable.

Carrying a buck 301 and 501 today . Waiting on a case medium stockman and caliber to add into the rotation. I'm getti.g able to carry traditional knives again as my hands don't shake and tremble as bad, so thankful for that and to be able to carry the type of k ice I've carried since I was 5 years old. Maybe doesn't matter alot of people but to me it is part of my heritage that gives me such joy
Glad you're getting the chance to enjoy your favorite knives again, @Earl1 !:thumbsup::cool::)

The Alox sizzles ...hot hot !! And RR keeps getting better and better. That sow is something else and I'm still thinking about that locking tobacco acorn canoe...momma mia
Nice jigging on the RR!
Thanks for your enthusiasm, Gev & Joshua. That sowbelly stockman was among a set of 12 amber jigged bone Rough Riders of different patterns I ordered early in my rediscovery of the allure of pocket knives. It was the first sowbelly I ever handled, and I was amazed how its shape and blade combo resonated with me. (The same thing happened with a RR canoe in the set.)

I've lived in Kent County for 35 years, and your knife makes me feel like I've come home, Gev! ;):thumbsup::cool:

I wore them when I was younger, but none of my trousers have buttons now, and I'm not sure there's room to add them inside the waist band! :eek: :D ;) :thumbsup:
Jack, you're so much more debonair, elegant, and fashion-forward than I am! ;):thumbsup: My suspenders are the inexpensive, elastic, adjustable kind with alligator clips that fasten onto the waist band of any pants, buttons or not. :rolleyes: (I think you can also get them with fasteners to hook onto belt loops.)

Thanks, Gary and Jack! Gary, I love that blue pruner, a great pattern!
Thank you for your comments, Gary! I always have to comment on your blue Bic Pruner - very nice color, can't help staring at it. What a nice present! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks, Jeff & Dean. :)

66 today.
Excellent peach connections, Ken! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

I just love gunstock checkering! Great color on that as well, Superb knife!
I'm with David on this one; I have a "thang" for checkered bone! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

Fight’n Rooster lockback.
The hits just keep on coming, Nick! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Continuing with Queen barlow.

B9TQkeP.jpg

That's a splendid Barlow, HFinn! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Laudable lambsfoot and sheath, FBC! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bailed non-SAK of the Week is an Imperial BSA scout that's trying its best to be a SAK (thanks, Paul):
imp.bsa.pile.open.jpg

Canoe of the Week is a Rough Rider smooth tobacco bone model:
tobacco.mark.closed.shoe.jpg

International Knife of the Week is an Okapi Biltong:
biltong.mark.closed.jpg

- GT

Stuart, I really enjoy reading your extensive commentary on knives posted in this thread! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Notable Eb&Iv pair, Jack; you're a virtuoso! ;):thumbsup::cool:

Terrific triple, indeed, Joshua; all single blades, but still LOTS of variety in that trio! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: The size differences reminded me of the 3 bears whose home was invaded by Goldilocks! ;)

Something old and something new ... :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Magnificent mellow yellow, Jeff! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Match made in heaven! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I didn't even know that was a thing, but it's hard to deny the desirability of that pair! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Study in contrasts, Jeff: black/red, ebony/Alox, lambsfoot/spear, single-blade/multi-"blade" :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

What's a more fitting pair than a Farmer and a Plow? Dynamite duo, Tom! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Looking forward to hearing about the results of your edge-retention test. :thumbsup::cool::cool: I haven't been in enough fights to try the steak-on-shiner treatment. :rolleyes:

The scarlet slender slicer must be satisfying, Dean! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: I like the slimline trapper so much better than a normal full-size trapper, even though the length is comparable.

Glad you're getting the chance to enjoy your favorite knives again, @Earl1 !:thumbsup::cool::)

Thanks for your enthusiasm, Gev & Joshua. That sowbelly stockman was among a set of 12 amber jigged bone Rough Riders of different patterns I ordered early in my rediscovery of the allure of pocket knives. It was the first sowbelly I ever handled, and I was amazed how its shape and blade combo resonated with me. (The same thing happened with a RR canoe in the set.)

I've lived in Kent County for 35 years, and your knife makes me feel like I've come home, Gev! ;):thumbsup::cool:

Jack, you're so much more debonair, elegant, and fashion-forward than I am! ;):thumbsup: My suspenders are the inexpensive, elastic, adjustable kind with alligator clips that fasten onto the waist band of any pants, buttons or not. :rolleyes: (I think you can also get them with fasteners to hook onto belt loops.)

Thanks, Jeff & Dean. :)

Excellent peach connections, Ken! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm with David on this one; I have a "thang" for checkered bone! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

The hits just keep on coming, Nick! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

That's a splendid Barlow, HFinn! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Laudable lambsfoot and sheath, FBC! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bailed non-SAK of the Week is an Imperial BSA scout that's trying its best to be a SAK (thanks, Paul):
View attachment 997258

Canoe of the Week is a Rough Rider smooth tobacco bone model:
View attachment 997265

International Knife of the Week is an Okapi Biltong:
View attachment 997266

- GT

Thanks GT! I admire your canoes. It is a pattern I've not tried yet, but I hope to one day.

It's a wonderful Wednesday here for totin' this old wood-clad Schatt & Morgan jack (1903-1932).

6RfgI1A.jpg

EQeFwCx.jpg

- Stuart
That’s what this thread is all about!

Ok. I’m officially cheerful.:thumbsup:

The covers on this Sword brand were very dried out and bleached looking so I gave it a good thick coat of mineral oil and let it soak in overnight.

Much better now :thumbsup:

z3Gkgxlh.jpg
Didn’t see the before, but the after is great!
A little ebony on ebony.
You should share more pics of your guitar! What is it?
Wooden Wednesday Theme...
MRAZjrf.jpg
It looks like the big one has a liner lock- so no side button lock?

Last edited:
Back