What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Yesterday's carry- making the most of my autumnal pockets.
5gVmNSj.jpg

Thanks. I like the brightly grinning edge effect you get with grey carbon.
I forgot I also had this poor old Japanese Saber for a while. Since it was wrapped in the Kleenex, it could ride with the loom-fixer.
qIOy9M6.jpg

Me too :) Which reminds me, I am due a sharpening session ;) That looks like a worthwhile project my friend :) :thumbsup:

Oh, that is so gross! :eek:

Same here Will, hate it when the clocks go back o_O Interesting old coin with your #56 :thumbsup:

Nice worry-stone Paul, and glad it worked for you my friend :) I have a 2014 HJ in ebony, but unfortunately GEC messed the shield up o_O

I love this old Joseph Haywood, but it's been a while since I carried it...

i8VoOdT.jpg

Remedying that today, and pairing it with my ebony 2018 Guardians Lambsfoot :) Have a good week folks (and don't eat any gas station chilli! :eek: ;)) :thumbsup:

4UAVmTU.jpg
I hope I did not ruin your appetite!
In the States, the beans/no beans in chili is a never ending source of internet pontificating. I wonder if your Scot brethren do the same over traditional vs vegetarian haggis?

To help with the confusion over the time change, remember this:
When you trip while walking, you fall forward - when a snake is in your path, you spring back.:D

Is your Haywood a LF? Would love to see her open!

Last edited:
Prometheus is not your name
but I know what your up to just the same
you hypnotize me with your fire and deeper meaning
If I linger I know where this is leading
sometimes we cannot escape
the twists and turns of fate
you still ebb and flow around me
I still hear your words of tuition
your devilish monition has come to its fruition
I can see my servant
is now my master
and you still have me wrapped around your finger

45622314761_9733d9d221_b.jpg

Last edited:
I broke out an old favorite today. This knife was the first Barlow I ever really connected with, and I fell hard. It’s seen a lot of use and pocket time over the years.
RhfbCfuh.jpg
Very appealing spear/sheep Barlow, Buzz! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'll certainly cast an absentee ballot for that BF Stag Jack, Ron! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Went up in the mountains today looking for a black tail buck for my buddies son. Never saw a single deer but still had a great day.
Captivating photos for a flatlander like me, @315 ! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

GT I like the looks of your teardrop more than mine. :thumbsup::thumbsup::D
I almost always prefer 2 blades to 1, but the covers on both knives are very distinctive! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Someday, I'll catch some courage and try to put an EO notch on mine. :)

That 72 with the satin finished bolster is all business, Gary! Sweet knife!
Thanks, Lance. :)

Thanks GT, great to see more of your carries :) :thumbsup:
Wow! You guys have really been pulling out all the stops! :eek: Beautiful knives folks :) :thumbsup:
Thanks for the support, Jack. :) Your AC Lambsfoot and ebony Boys' Knife are an enjoyable duo! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Pulled this one out of the tube today for pictures. This is one of the few I own that I don’t use.
zK0BBto.jpg
Picture perfect!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
Churchill claimed that, "Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm."

I ruined it. The C 75 in Otter is softer than the Case stainless. I took off too much material. I know expletives are forbidden on this forum, but try to imagine my feelings.
Very sorry to hear about the far less than ideal result of your repair attempt. :(:thumbsdown: Were you removing steel from the tang or from the spring? If the tang, might it be possible to find a different blade to put into that excellent stag handle?

Thank you. I've just been bisecting croissants with the black one.
I love that Utica. And the blades have matching high carbon steel!
IsDOsOS.jpg

The AGR is in my pocket. The loom-fixer will be seen more often now that jacket-pocket weather is here.
That's a hearty pair of knives! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I haven't bisected any croissants recently, but I bisected an angle not long ago; my experience was less tasty than yours, I'd wager. :rolleyes:

Love this knife Gary.
...View attachment 1010955
Thanks, Dwight. :) Your Kabar Barlow and stag 110 are both most impressive! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks GT, the other knife I'll never part with is my GEC #76. ...

And might I say it's fun when you show us one of your own GEC knives, and that #72 is a wonderful example. Also one of my favorite models that GEC produces.
Thanks for the info, John; amazing the joy that knives with some sentimental connection can bring! :):thumbsup::thumbsup: And thanks for the GEC 72 remark; that's a third of my GEC holdings! :rolleyes:

t97EbAg.jpg

I have something a bit more utilitarian today. Delrin and mystery stainless are meant to take some abuse.
Keen Colonial Barlow, @Spaten! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: I like the bolster stamp for the same reason I like scouts with a can opener that has "can opener" stamped on it: as I get older appreciate the reminders of what I'm looking at! ;):p

I'm carrying Grandpa's knife today.
qaoD5ag.jpg
Glad to see that glittering heirloom, Rachel :cool::thumbsup::cool:, but sad (and angry) about the situation that motivated your choice! :(:mad:

I carried my new GEC 14 all last week ...
This one’s a winner!

View attachment 1011018
Congrats on the lovely new #14, @Ratbert ! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

This old Catt today!
73Yp6Nf.jpg
Maybe I'm amazed by the bone that knife is wearing!! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Just me and my cup o joe

another halloween nipping at my heels
as I sit in the dim morning light sipping my joe
imagining the end of the world and the sound of squeals
a ghost of the reaper whorls past
pumpkins and candles
dance in the cast
i pray for the sun and the holy father
am i sure in my deeds
did I sow fruitful seeds
will the angels protect me
if I fall to my knees
Intriguing introspection, Gev! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Today GEC #99 Farm & Field
View attachment 1011099
That flaming-hot 99 could warm a cold winter night, Dave! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

It’s Funny that you mentioned that! We’re going to make a large pot, and then split it up and add beans to half. The other half will be Texas style.
Excellent plan, Lance! ;):thumbsup: Please put me down for a bowl of each! :)

Thanks GT! Nice pairing :thumbsup:, did you make the leather lanyard for the 72? Very cool :cool:

Carrying these two on a windy, lazy Sunday.

MZDb50O.jpg
That's a high-class pair, Tom! :cool::thumbsup::cool: Thanks for the props for my knives. :) I revived my old 3-strand braiding skills developed in the Calvinist Cadet Corp to make that lanyard from a leather boot lace. ;) I often attach a carabiner or a Nite-Eze S-clip to the "free end" and clip it to a belt loop.

What IS that creature trying to ingest your classy Calf Roper, Ken?? :D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

My carries this week happen to include quite a few gift knives. :):thumbsup::cool:
Alox of the Week is a Vic Classic (thanks, Ken):
VoP00eg.jpg

non-Alox SAK of the Week is a modified Vic Recruit (thanks, Greg):
uoGrsB0.jpg

Bailed non-SAK this week is my Colonial Forest-Master, my first ever knife that either my parents gave me or a classmate gave me at a birthday party about 1960:
0mRTlY3.jpg

Stockman of the Week is a Case CV chestnut jigged bone sowbelly (thanks, Ron), pictured with a Case chestnut bone Sodbuster Jr that I carry every day:
1g3pjtM.jpg

- GT

I’m starting the week with a clip blade, a pen blade and a Lambsfoot blade. ;) Y’all have a great week! :D

45616222971_ccc2318a21_b_d.jpg

Very nice Ron :) :thumbsup:

I hope I did not ruin your appetite!
In the States, the beans/no beans in chili is a never ending source of internet pontificating. I wonder if your Scot brethren do the same over traditional vs vegetarian haggis?

To help with the confusion over the time change, remember this:
When you trip while walking, you fall forward - when a snake is in your path, you spring back.:D

Is your Haywood a LF? Would love to see her open!

Oh, it'd take more than that to ruin my appetite my friend ;) :D :thumbsup: In the past I have heard Scots arguing about salt or sugar in their porridge, but these days any debate about haggis would probably be whether it should be traditionally served with neeps and tatties, or battered and deep-fried, and served with chips (fries)! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

Thanks for your interest in my Haywood :) Not a Lambsfoot unfortunately, but still a very useful, and extremely pocketable, knife :thumbsup:

b0W2ZDS.jpg

ED1WmxX.jpg

eRI8Tlm.jpg

Thanks for the support, Jack. :) Your AC Lambsfoot and ebony Boys' Knife are an enjoyable duo! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Churchill claimed that, "Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm."

Very sorry to hear about the far less than ideal result of your repair attempt. :(:thumbsdown: Were you removing steel from the tang or from the spring? If the tang, might it be possible to find a different blade to put into that excellent stag handle?

That's a hearty pair of knives! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I haven't bisected any croissants recently, but I bisected an angle not long ago; my experience was less tasty than yours, I'd wager. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Dwight. :) Your Kabar Barlow and stag 110 are both most impressive! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks for the info, John; amazing the joy that knives with some sentimental connection can bring! :):thumbsup::thumbsup: And thanks for the GEC 72 remark; that's a third of my GEC holdings! :rolleyes:

Keen Colonial Barlow, @Spaten! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: I like the bolster stamp for the same reason I like scouts with a can opener that has "can opener" stamped on it: as I get older appreciate the reminders of what I'm looking at! ;):p

Glad to see that glittering heirloom, Rachel :cool::thumbsup::cool:, but sad (and angry) about the situation that motivated your choice! :(:mad:

Maybe I'm amazed by the bone that knife is wearing!! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

That flaming-hot 99 could warm a cold winter night, Dave! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

That's a high-class pair, Tom! :cool::thumbsup::cool: Thanks for the props for my knives. :) I revived my old 3-strand braiding skills developed in the Calvinist Cadet Corp to make that lanyard from a leather boot lace. ;) I often attach a carabiner or a Nite-Eze S-clip to the "free end" and clip it to a belt loop.

What IS that creature trying to ingest your classy Calf Roper, Ken?? :D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

My carries this week happen to include quite a few gift knives. :):thumbsup::cool:
VoP00eg.jpg

uoGrsB0.jpg

Bailed non-SAK this week is my Colonial Forest-Master, my first ever knife that either my parents gave me or a classmate gave me at a birthday party about 1960:
0mRTlY3.jpg

Stockman of the Week is a Case CV chestnut jigged bone sowbelly (thanks, Ron), pictured with a Case chestnut bone Sodbuster Jr that I carry every day:
1g3pjtM.jpg

- GT

Thanks GT, nice knives to start the week with :) :thumbsup:

Very appealing spear/sheep Barlow, Buzz! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'll certainly cast an absentee ballot for that BF Stag Jack, Ron! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Captivating photos for a flatlander like me, @315 ! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

I almost always prefer 2 blades to 1, but the covers on both knives are very distinctive! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Someday, I'll catch some courage and try to put an EO notch on mine. :)

Thanks, Lance. :)

VoP00eg.jpg

uoGrsB0.jpg

0mRTlY3.jpg

1g3pjtM.jpg

- GT
Thanks for the comments GT :thumbsup::thumbsup::D

Back