What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

In the spirit of the holiday, I want to thank @Half/Stop for the handsome hunter and thank Jack Black Jack Black for the lovely lambsfoot. Thanks, Ron and Jack, for these wonderful wooden workers.

AVMLNUo.jpg

And I thank those who linger, long or just a little, on The Porch for your patience, understanding, and for the generous sharing of your knowledge and experience. My time with you has been a blessing to me. A happy and safe Thanksgiving to all y'all.
- Stuart

Fiddleback Neckmuk and my Peanut today. I forgot how thirsty this sheath is; it really drinks in the oils from the wooden handles.

20181121-053126-2.jpg

View attachment 1024133 You might say I have the Opie Taylor pair today.
(With apologies to our friends not familiar with 1960’s American television)

Smashing pairings gents :thumbsup:

Great pairing of lovelies !!

Thank you my friend :)

I'd say you were pretty well prepared, Jack! Hope you had a good hike. :thumbsup:

Glad you decided to make that one a user, Paul. It's perfect for brightening up a winter day! :thumbsup: :cool:

Love the fish shield! :thumbsup:

Back to carrying this one after a few days with just an Opinel No. 6 in my pocket. I think Duncan's (@Campbellclanman) lost-then-found TC that I recently won in his GAW has been giving my knives ideas. I had been carrying this #77 for a few days when it up and disappeared on me. I grabbed the Opinel on my way out the door and carried it for a few days while looking for my missing Barlow, which eventually turned up in the pocket of a light jacket I'd swapped out for a warmer one when the temps started to drop. :confused: :D :cool:

7GE7HRl.jpg

I did thanks Barrett :) Couple of pics in the Guardians thread :thumbsup:

In the spirit of the holiday, I want to thank @Half/Stop for the handsome hunter and thank Jack Black Jack Black for the lovely lambsfoot. Thanks, Ron and Jack, for these wonderful wooden workers.

AVMLNUo.jpg

And I thank those who linger, long or just a little, on The Porch for your patience, understanding, and for the generous sharing of your knowledge and experience. My time with you has been a blessing to me. A happy and safe Thanksgiving to all y'all.
- Stuart

Thank you for everything you bring to this place Stuart :) :thumbsup:

If that is a Camillus , I am not sure that anyone has EVER made a better knife than that one my friend . Very nice picture too .:):thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Harry

It is indeed a Camillus 72. I agree that they are fantastic knives. This one doesn’t see as much carry and use as it should, but its carbon steel cousin is always at hand when it comes whittlin’ time.

Maybe I’ll keep this one in my pocket for the rest of the week to give it some exercise. :D

Don't worry, we haven't introduced fines yet ;) :D :thumbsup:

Oh man would I be in trouble if we did. ;)

Whirling Whittlerishes

45044433365_2dc1a71fe4_b.jpg

Klaas on cutting duty

45334824062_99a43b4a9b_b.jpg
Gev, you are on a roll lately!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Alan, you obviously don't need any warm-ups to start off the week at full intensity!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

... A Queen tiny toothpick (3"), a Schrade 108OT (2 3/4"), and a Parker Frost "Fox" stockman by Schrade (3 1/4").
G8JI9P3.jpg

- Stuart
Almost many minis, Stuart, but they're magnificent! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

I’ve been a test preparation professional for 30 years, so I still take them myself, timed, at home. Yes, maybe, probably not, depending on the whims of the proctors...

As for the bread baking, it's just a hobby, but it helps to be good at math!
Thanks for the info, @Dschal. :)

It was originally purchased to be Rit Dyed, but was far to pretty for such treatment once received. :oops::)
Best laid plans ... ;)

Camillus
Y7K9B9Gh.jpg

Your Camillus cattle knife is captivating, Steve! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I've got my Avatar knife with me today. This is my favorite TC, probably because I don't worry about carrying or using it!
Satisfying sawcut striations on that Ancient, Dean! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Nice selection of blades, Gary. So you carry at least five knives each day? How many pockets?
View attachment 1023848 View attachment 1023847

Trapper on my belt, lambsfoot in my pocket. Three blades will suffice today.
Excellent selection for you, too, Vince! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: I have my selection in each of these categories that I carry for a week at a time: Alox, non-Alox SAK, Stockman, Canoe Plain, Canoe Fancy, Bailed non-SAK, International, Watch Pocket, Big, Miscellaneous, Peanut-ish, Stag/Horn, Lambsfoot. And then I often grab one or two "free choice" knives for the week.
So I guess that adds up to 19 knives for the week (but that's a lot like the 2 or 3 per day that many members carry, at least in terms of total knives for the week :rolleyes:). Of that group of knives, 2 are suspended in LFP and 1 is in bottom of LFP, 1 is on key ring in RFP, and 3 are in watch pocket, 1 is in a nylon pouch with my bus pass in a small pocket on outside right leg of carpenter pants and another is in the "tool pocket" on pantleg. The other 8 are in a fanny pack that hangs on the oven door at home, or on the arm of my desk chair at work, and I only wear it while commuting.

Thanks GT, love the Remington!

Finally caught up on this thread after helping a friend move this weekend. I carried these two:
He commented on the AG Russell premium scout, “that is pretty cool, where can I get one of those?” :)

After I tried to explain the supply and demand of the knife world, he commented “you’re weird” :)
Poor guy. Drops a hint about a gift idea, and gets an economics lecture.:D:p
HA, thanks Jeff :). I gave him an ALOX pioneer that rides as a spare in my vehicle to use for the weekend. I "forgot" to ask for it back, think I might have planted a seed there (he is not a knife guy. Yet.)
I keep forgetting how well the Opinels perform, and rarely carry one, not sure why.
Thanks for noticing my burl peanut, Tom. :) You have a couple of handsome pairs posted! :thumbsup::cool::cool: I react to Opinels like you, and wonder why I mess around with any other knives if cutting is the goal. :rolleyes: I admire your recruitment efforts, but I have to agree with your friend that marketing strategies in the knife world are unusual, and many of them just don't fit with my strategies for buying products. ;)

More fruit to cut & a new knife to cut it with! :p:D

-Del
This little baby showed up today and it happens to fit in my #15 slip with out too much trouble....
Congrats on the rotten banana bone 85, Del and on the Beavertail 85, @Hkjay!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Have this old Kronenkrebs in my pocket . ...
Harry
Amazing piece, Harry! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Impressive Rodgers Barlow, Wayne! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Always good to see your Eternals GT :) :thumbsup:
Struggling with my internet connection today (again), but carrying these two, both generous gifts from our man in New Zealand Duncan @Campbellclanman :) :thumbsup:

View attachment 1023652

View attachment 1023653
Thanks, Jack. :) Dashing Duncan duo you're sporting! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

I was pretty shocked by it at the time GT. I actually picked up a stainless Brown Mule on a market stall for a few pounds a year or so ago, but it really is a piece of junk. A real shame :( Thank you my friend :thumbsup:

That's a shame :( Still a nice vintage piece though :)

Thanks again sir, and it's great to see Zorro :) :thumbsup:

And your Union Jack Lambsfoot of course :) :thumbsup:
I'm grateful for your attention to my random musings, Jack! :):thumbsup:

Two Twapper Twosday...

Notable pair of mini trappers, John! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I'm into Two Trapper Twosday totin', too. A pair of Parker Frost "Mink" trappers by Schrade in 1978.
QRrV0Rd.jpg

... - Stuart
Showpieces, Stuart! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

View attachment 1023711...
Really looking forward to our little family being together over Thanksgiving! And I wish the same blessing on all of my BF friends.:)
Thanks, Jeff, and I'll echo your good wishes! :):cool::thumbsup:

GT, yes the Schrade 858 is 4.56" closed, and a workhorse. The only problem with it is the nail nick on the spey is so shallow that it's very hard to open- my nail keeps slipping out of it. Thanks for the Case compliment.
Thanks for the confirmation and additional info, Jeff. :)

Newest addition to my Sir Winston family - thanks Jeff @JB in LV !
Congrats, Ken; another superb pic! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: Obligatory Churchill quote: "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."

Thank you, Gary! You've presented another stellar constellation of cutlery today. :thumbsup::thumbsup: I'm so glad I followed your example and got a blue Case mini copperhead! :)...
Thanks, Dean. :) The blue bone is definitely striking! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Been a bit absent as I was up near the Canadian border with my daughter on a Whitetail hunt. Here are the knives that I had on me everyday.

0-ECD3165-D1-B8-4-AB9-9-C2-D-A7-BBEB86864-E.jpg
I’m just sitting here watching my dishwasher purge all of the dawn dish soap out that my daughter used in it. Grabbed the Tinker to help pull the front off to dry out and maybe later cut my wrists....:confused::confused::confused:

33-E0-F9-A4-7056-4-FE4-88-F7-220-F69-FD70-DD.jpg
Did your daughter's gratitude for getting to hunt with you inspire her to volunteer to run the dishwasher (for perhaps the VERY FIRST time)?? :thumbsup::thumbsup::D Her heart's in the right place!

Miscellaneous knife this week is a Marbles Handyman's Helper:
rhzd1GI.jpg

Big knife is a Rough Rider improved muskrat:
rFYZHlw.jpg

Watchpocket knife is an LF&C penknife (thanks, Mark):
DOy0j1A.jpg

International knife is a Taramundi purchased in Sevilla, Spain:
76yhz0A.jpg

- GT

Excellent selection for you, too, Vince! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: I have my selection in each of these categories that I carry for a week at a time: Alox, non-Alox SAK, Stockman, Canoe Plain, Canoe Fancy, Bailed non-SAK, International, Watch Pocket, Big, Miscellaneous, Peanut-ish, Stag/Horn, Lambsfoot. And then I often grab one or two "free choice" knives for the week.
So I guess that adds up to 19 knives for the week (but that's a lot like the 2 or 3 per day that many members carry, at least in terms of total knives for the week :rolleyes:). Of that group of knives, 2 are suspended in LFP and 1 is in bottom of LFP, 1 is on key ring in RFP, and 3 are in watch pocket, 1 is in a nylon pouch with my bus pass in a small pocket on outside right leg of carpenter pants and another is in the "tool pocket" on pantleg. The other 8 are in a fanny pack that hangs on the oven door at home, or on the arm of my desk chair at work, and I only wear it while commuting.
You really take the Scout Motto seriously!
:thumbsup:
Hope you have a great Thanksgiving Day.

Thanks 5K Qs !!

I just finished cutting up a couple of fresh pineapples, several honey crisp apples and about 3 pounds of grapes/strawberries with it. That wide spear blade is the "bees knees" on fresh fruit and the #85 frame is very comfortable in hand. :D

I always do the fruit salad(s) for our church pot luck & fruit animals for the kiddies. :)

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

-Del

Back