What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

@Duckdog

Stuart in all my years of bird hunting (50) I've never seen anyone draw a bird whether it be a dove, grouse, quail, duck or pheasant. I read about it in all the old bird hunting books though. Must have been a throwback to the times when game was sold in markets with feathers on in the UK and Europe.

I had a nice Puma with bird hook, looked cool but I never quite figured out how to use it..

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

This should do it:
q6cuBUx.jpg

Dad is carrying the little Old Timer Peanut I gave him for Father's Day. :) I'll try to get a picture later.

Happy Thanksgiving!

I've had a very Not Good 2018. My professional life has been up in the air, and my personal life has been shattered to pieces. Today, I am carrying knives that represent hope, determination, and friendship.

My daughter's Peanut represents hope for the future. My father's Klein represents determination. The BFTC and Lakota Teal represent the words of wisdom, encouragement, and support from my good friends here that have helped me immensely. The BFTC is from Randy, @r redden, and the Teal is from Alan, @joeradza. These two incredible people will never understand their impact on my life these past 6-12 months. I'm thankful for y'all.

20181122-114408-2.jpg

I've had a very Not Good 2018. My professional life has been up in the air, and my personal life has been shattered to pieces. Today, I am carrying knives that represent hope, determination, and friendship.

My daughter's Peanut represents hope for the future. My father's Klein represents determination. The BFTC and Lakota Teal represent the words of wisdom, encouragement, and support from my good friends here that have helped me immensely. The BFTC is from Randy, @r redden, and the Teal is from Alan, @joeradza. These two incredible people will never understand their impact on my life these past 6-12 months. I'm thankful for y'all.

20181122-114408-2.jpg

I’m just a few miles north of you, if you need a friend, man.

Impressive pair, Dee! :cool::cool::thumbsup: (Or is that some trick photography?? ;))

Splendid simplicity! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Your Böker Barlow is a beauty! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

View attachment 1024133 You might say I have the Opie Taylor pair today.
(With apologies to our friends not familiar with 1960’s American television)
:D:thumbsup::D When I was a kid, my Dad would tell me about the latest episode of Andy Griffith while we were milking cows the next day, since I wasn't old enough to stay up that late. I watched reruns daily on some "superstation" when I was in my early 20s.

It was a funny show. Best character is Barney Fife.
I always admired Barney's self-confidence and savoir faire! ;)

These two today.

BCDnfPg.jpg
Fantastic pair, Tom! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Is that spear/pen jigged bone Barlow a new acquisition?? Superb! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Today it is a Robeson that I picked up a year ago .
Harry
Your Robeson whittler is wonderful, Harry! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Today, and probably through Thanksgiving and the weekend, I have my Ancient TC 2.0 with me.
As always, the Ancient is arresting, Dean! :cool::cool::thumbsup: That pile of dimes reminds takes me way back to when I used to put a dime like those in the Sunday School offering each week, but I don't think I've handled one in decades.

In the spirit of the holiday, I want to thank @Half/Stop for the handsome hunter and thank @Jack Black for the lovely lambsfoot. Thanks, Ron and Jack, for these wonderful wooden workers.

AVMLNUo.jpg

And I thank those who linger, long or just a little, on The Porch for your patience, understanding, and for the generous sharing of your knowledge and experience. My time with you has been a blessing to me. A happy and safe Thanksgiving to all y'all.
- Stuart
Well-said, Stuart! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: I'd say you give at least as good as you get here on The Porch! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Balance has been restored. The Camillus C4 is back in my pocket.

Qz6yEBNh.jpg
Hip! Hip! Hooray! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup: Good to see that one again, Buzz! :)

Congrats on the new 85, Leslie; it looks really rotten! :D:thumbsup::thumbsup: Reminds me of one of my favorite sayings: "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."

Bourbon cowboy style - out of a tin cup. :D
Fine pic of your ebony Churchill, Ken! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

You really take the Scout Motto seriously!
:thumbsup:
Hope you have a great Thanksgiving Day.
Grateful wishes to you and everyone else here, Vince. :thumbsup::) My knife rotation is not so much being prepared as it was a way of avoiding spending too much time deciding what knife to carry each day! :rolleyes:

Thanks 5K Qs !!

I always do the fruit salad(s) for our church pot luck & fruit animals for the kiddies. :)

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

-Del
Great that you're willing to help out at church, Del, and right back at ya with the Happy Tday! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

View attachment 1024371
These two the last two days.
The Lion(steel) laying down with the lamb(foot) is a hopeful pic, Joshua! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

That Hay'n Helper looks like a very useful knife! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Taylor, your gunstock just keeps looking better! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

This Taramundi is spectacular...:eek::thumbsup:
Great batch of unique knives Gary! Agreed that the Taramundi is very cool!:cool::thumbsup:
Thanks, Senhor Pinto & @mitch4ging; I like the knife very much! :)

Thanks pal, excellent selection there :thumbsup:
Thanks, Jack. :) Your HAZ trio (Horn lambsfoot, Abbeydale Jack, and Zorro Barlow) is a treat! :thumbsup::cool:;)

... I enjoyed reading your paragraph on how your knife carry system works. I can visualize your day better now. It is a lot of steel to carry!

Your Marbles Handyman's Helper is a meter long knife! Wow, that's even more steel to carry. :) Seriously, it is a neat knife.
Thanks, Dean; there's kind of a method to my madness. :) If you check the units on the ruler scales, the 40 is actually centimeters, so it's not quite the burden you might think. :rolleyes:

Gotta agree with you on the tin cups, use them most days! ...and a nice knife you're showing with it!
7up3Kf8.jpg
Very nice old Imperial sir !!!
Harry
Harry knows whereof he speaks!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

Immaculate knives, Dee; that snakewood Minichamp is a memorable mod! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

...Thanks, GT, but they pale in view of that magical Marbles. What a wonderful piece of work!
I'll toast you and all of The Porch today as I brave freezing temps to deep fry a few turkeys for my family and friends. Bourbon and cigars are my refuge.
- Stuart
I appreciate your opinions, Stuart. :) Best wishes for the frying, and enjoy your refuge. :thumbsup::cool:

I like this Pheasant Feathers and Spear blades are a favourite (well, Sheepfoot, Wharncliffe, certain Clips, Lambfoot are all hot too:D)

aNrN0oz.jpg
Admirable acrylic, Will! :cool::cool::thumbsup: (Do you not like drop point blades?? :rolleyes:)

Carrying way too many today, just because. Plus a couple of others. Again, just because. Don't forget a few Case and Opinels for the inevitable GAWs.View attachment 1024643
Welcome to MY world, Alan, at least in terms of numbers! ;):thumbsup::D

View attachment 1024667 Now, to get out the old cookbook and figure out this turkey thing...View attachment 1024679 View attachment 1024680 That sounds easy.
That's just great, I've been overcooking my birds.
:p:p:thumbsup:

Stockman of the Week is a Rough Rider smooth tobacco bone sowbelly:
ijnlrTF.jpg

Plain Canoe of the Week is a Rough Rider tortoise shell:
2G8TxFA.jpg

Fancy Canoe of the Week is a Case amber jigged bone model:
canoe.amber.mark.closed.jpg

- GT

Impressive pair, Dee! :cool::cool::thumbsup: (Or is that some trick photography?? ;))

Splendid simplicity! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Your Böker Barlow is a beauty! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

:D:thumbsup::D When I was a kid, my Dad would tell me about the latest episode of Andy Griffith while we were milking cows the next day, since I wasn't old enough to stay up that late. I watched reruns daily on some "superstation" when I was in my early 20s.

I always admired Barney's self-confidence and savoir faire! ;)

Fantastic pair, Tom! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Is that spear/pen jigged bone Barlow a new acquisition?? Superb! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Your Robeson whittler is wonderful, Harry! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

As always, the Ancient is arresting, Dean! :cool::cool::thumbsup: That pile of dimes reminds takes me way back to when I used to put a dime like those in the Sunday School offering each week, but I don't think I've handled one in decades.

Well-said, Stuart! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: I'd say you give at least as good as you get here on The Porch! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hip! Hip! Hooray! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup: Good to see that one again, Buzz! :)

Congrats on the new 85, Leslie; it looks really rotten! :D:thumbsup::thumbsup: Reminds me of one of my favorite sayings: "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."

Fine pic of your ebony Churchill, Ken! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Grateful wishes to you and everyone else here, Vince. :thumbsup::) My knife rotation is not so much being prepared as it was a way of avoiding spending too much time deciding what knife to carry each day! :rolleyes:

Great that you're willing to help out at church, Del, and right back at ya with the Happy Tday! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The Lion(steel) laying down with the lamb(foot) is a hopeful pic, Joshua! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

That Hay'n Helper looks like a very useful knife! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Taylor, your gunstock just keeps looking better! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks, Senhor Pinto & @mitch4ging; I like the knife very much! :)

Thanks, Jack. :) Your HAZ trio (Horn lambsfoot, Abbeydale Jack, and Zorro Barlow) is a treat! :thumbsup::cool:;)

Thanks, Dean; there's kind of a method to my madness. :) If you check the units on the ruler scales, the 40 is actually centimeters, so it's not quite the burden you might think. :rolleyes:

Harry knows whereof he speaks!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

Immaculate knives, Dee; that snakewood Minichamp is a memorable mod! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I appreciate your opinions, Stuart. :) Best wishes for the frying, and enjoy your refuge. :thumbsup::cool:

Admirable acrylic, Will! :cool::cool::thumbsup: (Do you not like drop point blades?? :rolleyes:)

Welcome to MY world, Alan, at least in terms of numbers! ;):thumbsup::D

:p:p:thumbsup:

Stockman of the Week is a Rough Rider smooth tobacco bone sowbelly:
ijnlrTF.jpg

Plain Canoe of the Week is a Rough Rider tortoise shell:
2G8TxFA.jpg

Fancy Canoe of the Week is a Case amber jigged bone model:
View attachment 1024773

- GT

Nice catch on the Lion/Lamb allusion Gary! I hadn't even thought about that. Your tortoise shell doesn't reflect the rabbit-like reflexes of your wit.

Hey Joshua - Are the handles on the Shuffler custom? It almost appears like a burled wood in the picture to my less-than-perfect vision, nice shot either way :thumbsup:
Thanks! It is ironwood made by Birdvis before he started making knives.

I’ve got these two with me, as well as a Sharpmaker as I will invariably be asked to sharpen some kitchen knives today.

lzUDeuy.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving everyone, or as my godson refers to this holiday: “Chicken Halloween” :)

Very nice contrastive pairing, I'm fortunate enough to have one of that particular Winchester BB and it's impressive:cool:

Regards, Will

Back