What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Used the henckels to cut some potatoes after some electrical work on my gagabe doors. I want to know if it's carbon. It's very magnetic. The backspring looks to have some gray spots. But the potatoes didn't touch the polished blade. So I'm still not sure why the backspring has some spots. Either way, it cuts like a laser!
7ADCBD03-91E7-4885-B0FF-4A431C4E3261.jpeg

Used the henckels to cut some potatoes after some electrical work on my gagabe doors. I want to know if it's carbon. It's very magnetic. The backspring looks to have some gray spots. But the potatoes didn't touch the polished blade. So I'm still not sure why the backspring has some spots. Either way, it cuts like a laser!
View attachment 1043749

Seems to me, and I could be mistaken, that some of those store branded knives had a mix of stainless blades and carbon springs. Also, some stainless does corrode. I've seen GEC 440C spot a little bit. Try coffee or Sriracha sauce or something more acidic.

Seems to me, and I could be mistaken, that some of those store branded knives had a mix of stainless blades and carbon springs. Also, some stainless does corrode. I've seen GEC 440C spot a little bit. Try coffee or Sriracha sauce or something more acidic.

Thanks! I will eventually. I just needed some taters cut at the moment lol. While I've never heard of stainless blades and carbon springs, that means nothing. I know very very little about vintage knives. And I can't find any info on this one other than its supposed to be solingen.

Well Christmas is now past us and all of our Kids , and their Kids , and their Kids have gone home and it is just my wife and I . Today I carried a C. Lutters /// LOEWEN MESSER or Lions Knife

and of course the Taylors Eye Witness Lambsfoot

There is just something about a Maker stamping there Logo on a Bolster or the Blade . Makes me think that they are proud of their product.

Harry

Last edited:
What is it? (not the knife lol) Bonus points if you can describe how it's used.

starrett-1.jpg

02tQFwS.jpg

As per usual, Wonderful photos all around!
Just playing with some new toys...
Hope everyone had an awesome Christmas!

Indeed it is beautiful, the awl was made by Czech Edge and the layout tool is a "Mason's and Engraver's Square" by Lee Valley-Veritas.
While we have you identifying the objects, what is the thing in the top right corner of the picture?

JohnDF JohnDF that's what I thought but we are both incorrect. Old Engineer Old Engineer I figured you might guess. Belongs to my 90 year old father-in-law who described watching his uncle use it to set the RPM of a thresher. The point is triangular, press it into the center of the crankshaft or other 1:1 pulley. Zero it before starting and one minute later it shows the RPM mechanically. Still works, can feel the precision despite it's age.

starrett-2.jpg

JohnDF JohnDF that's what I thought but we are both incorrect. Old Engineer Old Engineer I figured you might guess. Belongs to my 90 year old father-in-law who described watching his uncle use it to set the RPM of a thresher. The point is triangular, press it into the center of the crankshaft or other 1:1 pulley. Zero it before starting and one minute later it shows the RPM mechanically. Still works, can feel the precision despite it's age.

starrett-2.jpg
That's pretty cool. I like old tools.

starrett-2.jpg
I always thought Starrett made very good Stuff . I had no idea that they went back as far as Thrashing Machines .

Harry

View attachment 1043749

Cut some apples with it. In my experience apples work better than oranges, and are great for seeing an immediate patina developing if it is carbon steel.

While we have you identifying the objects, what is the thing in the top right corner of the picture?

Yes, that thing is called an "Odd Job", originally manufactured by Stanley Rule & Level Co from 1888 to 1935. The one in the picture is a newer one made by Garrett-Wade. It is a multipurpose layout tool with many uses such as a try square, miter square, marking and mortise gauge, depth gauge, circle & arc scribe, plumb bob, and a level. Quite an interesting and odd tool.

Wandered around downtown Los Angeles today with my wife and scored this pre 1940’s MOP EC Simmons Keen Kutter. Never thought I’d find a vintage knife in pretty much mint condition, in DTLA of all places. It was from a cutlery store that sold mainly modern tactical knives, scissors, shavers and kitchen cutlery etc. with a very small selection of traditionals and an even smaller selection of vintage knives. Snapped a pic real quick of this classy little pen knife in a not so classy setting.

Yes, that thing is called an "Odd Job", originally manufactured by Stanley Rule & Level Co from 1888 to 1935. The one in the picture is a newer one made by Garrett-Wade. It is a multipurpose layout tool with many uses such as a try square, miter square, marking and mortise gauge, depth gauge, circle & arc scribe, plumb bob, and a level. Quite an interesting and odd tool.
Thank you. It's amazing how quickly I can go from never having heard of something to wanting one. :D
Wandered around downtown Los Angeles today with my wife and scored this pre 1940’s MOP EC Simmons Keen Kutter. Never thought I’d find a vintage knife in pretty much mint condition, in DTLA of all places. It was from a cutlery store that sold mainly modern tactical knives, scissors, shavers and kitchen cutlery etc. with a very small selection of traditionals and an even smaller selection of vintage knives. Snapped a pic real quick of this classy little pen knife in a not so classy setting.
Congratulations on the find! :cool::thumbsup:

Thanks! I will eventually. I just needed some taters cut at the moment lol. While I've never heard of stainless blades and carbon springs, that means nothing. I know very very little about vintage knives. And I can't find any info on this one other than its supposed to be solingen.

traumkommode traumkommode is indeed right, a lot of brands, and in my experience very common to the solingen/German knives, mixed stainless blades and carbon springs.

I think(just guessing!) that some/early stainless steels were hard to spring temper, or maybe too expensive to "waste" on springs, so carbon got used.

Back