What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Great articles guys:thumbsup: The Piggly Wiggly ( a grocery store chain for non southerners:D) in the little town where we shopped actually set up kind of a shed for the old men to sit and whittle under at one end of the parking lot. My Dad used to take them blocks of eastern red cedar cut from our farm, and give to them. I'd tag along, when I was 10 I got my first real knife, a Vic Camper. I felt mighty big when I sat on a block of wood and pulled that knife out to whittle. Of course the old men asked to see my knife, and gave me praise on it and how I cut away from myself.Felt so proud to meet these men's approval, and that of my Dad for it was him that taught me how to handle that Vic safely. So it was I sat and whittled with the old men, swapped stories while we waited on the women while they was "a trade'n"in the Pig. Nowadays milinials go Koo Koo for coco puffs when they win some make believe knife in some online video game, I wouldn't trade that feeling of acceptance of real MEN for all the video games in the world.
Great post of old memories David! :thumbsup: Man, I wish they had a whitling corner up here when we take the wife shopping.:D

Woke up and thought "hey man, why don't you pick a knife to carry all year. Not alone, but always". So without much thought, I grabbed my stag 81. Used it to cook some steak, taters and asparagus at the wifes request. And already thought "but id rather that knife be stainless, or my 48, or my Moore maker. Or the Ryu would make a great every day. Or my carbon fiber Davison. Or what about the new henckels". So, suffice it to say, I don't think I'll have a single knife I carry every day this year along with others. But the 81 did a heck of a job today!
View attachment 1046526
The shortest new year's resolution in history! :D :thumbsup:

Carried this old TEW Lambfoot this morning

and then changed it out for this Lick Creek # 14 to go out for dinner with some friends

Harry
I confess that when I'm behind reading this thread, I some times just scroll through the pictures, but there are certain knives that always make me stop for a longer look. That TEW is one of them. :thumbsup:

The shortest new year's resolution in history! :D :thumbsup:

I confess that when I'm behind reading this thread, I some times just scroll through the pictures, but there are certain knives that always make me stop for a longer look. That TEW is one of them. :thumbsup:
Thank you r8shell r8shell . I appreciate that very much my friend . It may not be very photogenic , but it is a heck of a knife to have .

Harry

It is a good one for sure Dwight, unfortunately, it wasn't my lucky day to catch the Bow Valley Pack on the road. Its a problem with the railway and highways that the Grizzlies and Wolves are being knocked off one by one
I spent a few years riding "head brakeman" for Missouri Pacific. Had a front row seat to a lot of collateral tragedy. A sad by - product of transportation.

Carried this old TEW Lambfoot this morning
I love that piece of history Harry.

Happy new year boys and girls.
Big Queen single blade Barlow, and a Buck nano bantom these days. Gotta find a big enough two blader.:confused: the hunt for my 'perfect' knife continues.;)

Michael
P.S. posting from my phone, so no pics.

Great articles guys:thumbsup: The Piggly Wiggly ( a grocery store chain for non southerners:D) in the little town where we shopped actually set up kind of a shed for the old men to sit and whittle under at one end of the parking lot. My Dad used to take them blocks of eastern red cedar cut from our farm, and give to them. I'd tag along, when I was 10 I got my first real knife, a Vic Camper. I felt mighty big when I sat on a block of wood and pulled that knife out to whittle. Of course the old men asked to see my knife, and gave me praise on it and how I cut away from myself.Felt so proud to meet these men's approval, and that of my Dad for it was him that taught me how to handle that Vic safely. So it was I sat and whittled with the old men, swapped stories while we waited on the women while they was "a trade'n"in the Pig. Nowadays milinials go Koo Koo for coco puffs when they win some make believe knife in some online video game, I wouldn't trade that feeling of acceptance of real MEN for all the video games in the world.

That's a great memory, David. I cut a fair bit of red cedar in Carteret County while growing up, though we used it and white cedar to make model boats (often in shop class). And I shopped with the Pig and Red & White a good bit, too.

zluEUZ4.jpg

- Stuart
(with champagne in hand)

I spent a few years riding "head brakeman" for Missouri Pacific. Had a front row seat to a lot of collateral tragedy. A sad by - product of transportation.
Dwight, I'm sure you did see a lot of rail kill so to speak :( I drove Bus for 15 years around 700 km per day on the Trans Canada Highway just about every morning there was road kill.

Back