What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Something modern today ;)

q2oR3Bfh.jpg

Who wouldn't be, Nick.

I was giving you credit for past carries, Nick, though the new (including the one you posted today) are fine. Steve does have pile of old beauties, though.

Thanks Stuart! I love the blade on that chef knife, simple but mean looking and looks like it cuts!! I need to up on my oldie collection to keep up with you and Steve, you both sure have real nice ones. And yeah, I’m still honeymooning.

@Duckdog
That's a great connection to a valuable piece of history. Really good people finally got on board with saving her. Most decorated battleship of WW2, she deserves the honor. Even more so the men who earned those decorations for her. I once read that during one mission while providing protection for USS Enterprise she was pouring out so much anti-aircraft fire, the Enterprise radioed the Carolina to ask if they was on fire:eek:0826181236.jpgSome fitting knife content, Camillus navy utility knife( with new whitetail deer antler covers)

My, how times have changed.
My maternal grandfather was a carpenter (before they started specializing in certain aspects of construction. He passed in 1966)
If someone came to him looking to hire on to his crew, if they did not have a pocket knife (in good condition; no bent/broken blades, and it was sharp) they were run off the jobsite.

He believed (as many in the trades did back then) that the condition of a man's pocket knife told you a lot about the character of the person applying for a job.
Broken tip or blade? Careless and uses the wrong tool for the job.
Dull blade(s)? Lazy, and does not take care of his tools.
No knife? Irresponsible. Also untrustworthy if the person claimed he was experienced.

Words of wisdom.
I've carried a serious pocket knife since I was 10. I had a cheapie little single blade pen knife before that. My Dad still has it in his knife box. A little brass handled thing with red enamel, had gym equipment embossed on it. That was the "trial knife" to see if I'd loose it, break it or such. Then I graduated to a Vic camper. To this day I simply cannot fathom how anyone makes through a day without at least a pen knife.

Carrying my 2013 TC today and then this Case XX 11031SH with Walnut covers arrived in today's mail:thumbsup:
27Nvu3.jpg

tcKuQL.jpg

That Case is a stunner. I love the 11031SH. I have one from the same era.
View attachment 1054371 View attachment 1054372 View attachment 1054373

I also have one from 1977. The later versions did not have the nice swedge. I think they stopped including the swedge in 1970.
View attachment 1054374

My very first Case knife was a 11031SH. I acquired it after I joined the forums here, now I have a couple of them, one from 69 and the other from 71 (I believe). Both just fantastic knives and ones I am very pleased to own. You both certainly have a couple of beauties there.

Now you're talkin'.

sSfvL7m.jpg

APLhQ0d.jpg

eFmN7Nv.jpg

- Stuart

Now those are some real beauties, Stuart! Stunning!

Thanks for the color info, Dylan. :) I don't think I consciously take color into consideration when planning knife purchases.

I'm afraid I am a bit vain in that regard, GT. Having somewhat of an "artist's eye", color is rather meaningful to me and I certainly have my favorites. On the other hand, I still remain in somewhat of an experimental phase in my knife collecting so I am not adverse to trying out colors that ordinarily wouldn't appeal to me.

I applaud your good taste in knives AND guitars, my friend. Though I am more of a Martin guy myself, Taylor certainly does make a fine guitar.

I paid for a new knife yesterday and got it in the mail today. I've never had such speedy shipping! Probably helps that the seller lives in the next town over (unbeknownst to me).

I got an intriguing new Sowbelly (many thanks to @flatblackcapo for the heads up), a Moore Maker with 3 blades. Curiously, it has two clips (different styles) and a spey. Now, I am not a big spey blade fan but it largely comes down to its aesthetics versus its functionality. What I find rather remarkable is that regardless of which blade you are using, they all sit low enough to not be uncomfortable in hand.

A very comfortable knife with beautifully ground blades and nice thin edges and yes, clad in red bone... This knife has me smitten for sure.

JL2d9Dy.jpg

yopiS69.jpg

Gsxn451.jpg

Back