What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

I remember your exact background as a cardboard sign in Staples, back around 2000. My mother bought me that Cybertool on display, for getting my first full time job in IT. I still use it at work, almost 20 years later.
Good one :thumbsup::D Up until maybe 15 years ago, I really didn't know of any other knife brands other than Victorinox and Old Timer which was about all the local hardware stores carried. I think once I was introduced to the internet that was an awakening :eek:

I never won but I got third the last year I did it. I still have all my cars around somewhere.
I couldn't find the car. It's around here somewhere, I think. That was the only year I entered. We were living in Zanesville, Ohio at the time.
John Lloyd wasn't building trappers yet, I'd bet. I'd bet he was fishing though!

Sleeveboard

6H3ZqEq.jpg

Didn’t they used to call that French Ivory? I remember it was a very specific style of celluloid. I remember arguing with someone many moons back who said because it had the lines in it that proved it was ivory and not celluloid.

I remember when they were finally convinced to do a hot pin test to prove it one way or another, they were never heard from again.

I always knew it was artificial, I just thought it was micarta and not celluloid. Any other thoughts?

My Camillus model 23 has the same scales.

FFeTpWu.jpg

I need a little bit of color during the winter months.

The blue Pemberton did provide a little help on the latest Pinewood derby car.
A5YMIZG.jpg

My Pinewood Derby car from 1959 didn't look anything like that. But it won! :D
yppri2L.jpg

My older brother and I won a few trophies when we were kids. Our cars never looked anything like that though:thumbsup:

I always wanted one of those. I have the Swiss Champ and a few of the other bigger ones but the Cybertool always seemed like a good knife for a knife owner. The driver with the proper sized torxbits would come in handy.
I always had a single blade Vic or Old Timer of some sort as my carry since I was a pup. I mentioned the knife world didn't open up to me until I had discovered the internet and Blade Forums. :thumbsup::D The Cybertool is one of those tools that everyone should have as a backup, for those times you need that thing a ma jig.:p

Didn’t they used to call that French Ivory? I remember it was a very specific style of celluloid. I remember arguing with someone many moons back who said because it had the lines in it that proved it was ivory and not celluloid.

I remember when they were finally convinced to do a hot pin test to prove it one way or another, they were never heard from again.

I always knew it was artificial, I just thought it was micarta and not celluloid. Any other thoughts?

My Camillus model 23 has the same scales.

FFeTpWu.jpg
I'm pretty sure "French Ivory" is celluloid. Cream colored with faint lines. Sometimes the lines are very straight and regular, but I've seen some with more of a subtle wave that could trick the casual observer.
My Keen Kutter Jack had French ivory, now it has the real thing. ;)
qa5GqtT.jpg

I always wanted one of those. I have the Swiss Champ and a few of the other bigger ones but the Cybertool always seemed like a good knife for a knife owner. The driver with the proper sized torxbits would come in handy.
I remember when I got myself a Cybertool 34. I was so proud and impressed I showed it off to a friend, "Yeah those are okay..." and he pulled out his Cybertool 41, or 70something. :rolleyes:
Instant Cybertool envy! :D

They did indeed Ted, I think there's at least one thread devoted to it here somewhere :thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure "French Ivory" is celluloid. Cream colored with faint lines. Sometimes the lines are very straight and regular, but I've seen some with more of a subtle wave that could trick the casual observer.

Yes Rachel, usually the lines are parallel, but I've also seen knives where there are waves which imitate ivory striations a little bit more :thumbsup:

I agree with Paul, there's just something about a well used knife. I'll add that there's still life in it as long as it'll still cut. :):thumbsup:

What wonderful stag, and that blade stamp! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Today I went to see They Shall Not Grow Old, a documentary about British soldiers in WWI. I recommend it highly. I know it's silly, but I brought along a couple 100 year old knives with me to the theater. One German made, and one English.
A6WRYNE.jpg

Two fantastic and different knives, yet entwined in a way.

The First World War may be now beyond living memory but its effects were incalculable: the greatest continent engulfed in a civil-war for nothing. A war that guaranteed an even bloodier conflagration and holocausts a generation later, yet it remains so pitiful, so senseless. As Siegfried Sassoon bitterly wrote, "The hell where youth and laughter go" Or from Ezra Pound " Died some pro patria, non dulce, non et decorum est, Walked eye-deep in hell, Believing in old men's lies, Then unbelieving came home, home to a lie"

Regards, Will

T. Erdelyi T. Erdelyi I don't really know Ted. I was given this by a more than generous Forum member when I bought another knife from him, I suppose the knife is 50/60s. One side has fairy regular lines but the other has wavy irregular ones, I assume it is French Ivory a type of Cell but it could be genuine tusk as well- I rather hope not though as I don't care for that. Very hard to say, but, I'm not getting any red hot pins out that's for sure......

Wait till it outgasses and pollutes my desk knives, then we'll know for sure :eek::D:D

Back