What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Sun before the snow tomorrow.
AECbwRf.jpg

fS31Vn9.jpg
Cramer LCJ along for the ride today.
Our grandsons, ages 1 and 2, will be here tomorrow. While doing some cleanup downstairs I decided to resurrect the old gumball machine my kids loved. Since gumballs might be a hazard to a one and two year old, we substituted Goldfish crackers. Works great!
No! The Cramer will not be a gumball prize!:D
Great gumball machine. Those things earned a bunch of my money as a kid. Mostly they were filled with peanuts. We learned to turn the knob slowly to get more out of 'em. :D

A Bark River fixed blade.
Went snowshoeing and my friend found an antler shed (6 points).
Of course I wanted it for a knife project, but he wasn't parting with it.

full

Don't despair @Pinemoon - shed hunting is one of my favorite winter/early spring walkabouts objectives. The good news is - that invariably where you find one - the matching antler is within only a few hours of walking around in the vicinity. A nice one like that would be "reasonably easy" to find once you know the approx. area - maybe within a 50 yard circle. Pretty exciting to gather up matched pairs. I suspect that when one falls off the remaining one becomes cumbersome enough that the buck become pretty intent on shaking or scraping it off, within short order.

Last edited:
Great quartet of knives this week, especially the two black ones.
Thanks, Vince. :)

I took several days off from posting to play with my new dog and to spend a few fleeting moments with @Half/Stop who was visiting in my vicinity. Like 5K Qs 5K Qs , I got woefully behind and was lucky just to click LIKE as I flipped through the rolling pages....
They all look swell, but that Opinel looks mighty handy, GT. Good work.
- Stuart
Thanks, Stuart; due to inadequate planning, that Opinel mod required more than just the handle mod I'd envisioned. :rolleyes:
Have you taught that new dog some old tricks? ;)
Because of my apparently chronic woeful behindness, I'm basically just picking one post per page on which to comment. :(

Rambunctious, ravishing ram's horn, Dee! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Carried this one today. Got to use it to open up the bi-weekly cat food shipment box, open the individual cases inside, and cut down the box for the recycle bin:
Wj6NQk3.jpg

Interestingly - I leave a sturdy modern folder in the kitchen that I regularly use for such duties, but the thin and sharp blades on the Case did a MUCH better job of it. The thicker blades on the modern folder tend to bind up a bit in the cardboard.
High-class knife, John!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Imperial US Navy Utility

AzAotJo.jpg
Fine example of a very desirable pattern, Steve! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

I'm totin' two today as I go out to the wood pile to feed two fireplaces. Neither they nor I are going very far today. I was born in Kentucky (Ft. Campbell) just before my father shipped off to fight in Korea and I inherited these knives from my stepfather (who also served in Korea), so I have a special attachment to them....
GrOq8wH.jpg

- Stuart
Many years ago, I used to attend the Derby at Churchill Downs quite regularly. Looks like that pair of thoroughbreds raced to a photo finish, Stuart! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

... One of them is this Forged USA Camillus 69 made for Sears stock knife. I’m glad that Schrade pen went to a good home. Beautiful stag on those Case soddies Stuart, always wanted one but too many knives to buy, not enough money!
Splendid old stockman, Nick! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Weekend carry:
33166433068_e68871af94_h.jpg

Desert Ironwood lambsfoot, from A. Wright & Son, Sheffield.
That handle reminds me of Texas Hill Country, Vince! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;) I don't suppose that includes the Gulf Coast?

Poor picture but it’s what I found time for.

View attachment 1070364
3 fine knives, Joshua, and you've arranged to grow them to about 3.14159! ;):cool::thumbsup: (Thanks for the heads up a while back on the Queen canoe; it was gone by the time I noticed it, but someone gave me a similar S&M canoe just before that!)

46126846655_94b6e5f917_h.jpg

Don't tell my wife that I fed most of those slices to the dog. :D
That's a sublime knife, FBC :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:, but how can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat? :eek::p

Although I don't post it every day, know that this #14 is ALWAYS in my pocket along with whatever else I might be carrying that day.
It has become my constant companion...

It's a good feeling to have a literal EDC, isn't it, John? :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

I gave RALF the day off today, and put this little old Schrade slenderino with a rare tang stamp (an 897UH) in pocket.

8Dy8ijx.jpg

21C8UGo.jpg

That Staglon 897UH is just about the perfect stockman IMHO, Jeff! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

These two for me today.

BmSxDUD.jpg
Those two go together real well, Tom! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

I think you're right. Maybe I'll lacquer the inside of the springs to keep them bright. Or just use it like I would have if I'd bought it new.
Nice, thin blades.
That sounds like a grand plan to me, Jer! :thumbsup::thumbsup::) I don't have an old Imperial stockman, but I have several old Imperial jacks, and I eagerly anticipate their turns in my rotation schedule!

Today in my pocket...

11l22s8.jpg
Elegance and excellence, Senhor José! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Today I'm carrying my Saddlehorn and ubiquitous Mini Copperhead.

Shapely and colorful pair, Dean! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

For Monday:
32114261907_62e3b4b81c_b.jpg

Ironwood lambsfoot, A. Wright & Son, Sheffield, England.

And:
46140898404_1d76ca1d04_b.jpg

Classic navaja from Albacete, Spain, with polished deer stag, by @ArtesaniaHerreros.

How can I go wrong with these two?
IMHO, you could go wrong with that pair by NOT carrying them, Vince! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Beautiful knives this morning already posted. Have a great day all.View attachment 1071267
Sublime sowbelly stockman, Dwight.

Usually, I make my weekly knife switch on Monday mornings, but didn't have time this morning. So I'll post some of my knives from last week that did not get pictured in this thread then.
Miscellaneous knife was a Rough Rider whittler with spear main:
ZVvJkw1.jpg

Peanutish Knife of last week was a Case mini copperhead:
s4piot2.jpg

Stag/Horn Knife last week was a Marbles Ram's Horn Barlow:
sGUcni1.jpg

Lambsfoot of the week was 2018 ebony Guardians lambsfoot I call Black Jack:
BJ.mark.open.sunset.jpg

- GT

fS31Vn9.jpg
Cramer LCJ along for the ride today.
Our grandsons, ages 1 and 2, will be here tomorrow. While doing some cleanup downstairs I decided to resurrect the old gumball machine my kids loved. Since gumballs might be a hazard to a one and two year old, we substituted Goldfish crackers. Works great!
No! The Cramer will not be a gumball prize!:D
Sold this exact gumball machine in a my yard sale a couple years ago.
It was just collecting dust or being used as an impromptu hat rack , the neighbors loved it and we're happy with the $5 price.
Beautiful knife by the way.

This one in my watch pocket, mid 1800s Josef Sziráky pearl Sleeveboard Lobster/Lobster/Sleeveboard? :confused: Some new pics taken with my iPhone this morning.
YDf8Njkh.jpg

ftChCKih.jpg

wVUq7rhh.jpg

yPZ3jLGh.jpg

LC8zRGlh.jpg

1oajivbh.jpg
That lobster is super cool and classy!

Really yummy looking bone!! Just gorgeous.

Thanks, Nick. I hope that I am a favorable influence and not the doorstep to penury. I think that I have a few in the pearl pile that I haven't posted and will try to right that. Very sweet old Catt that you have. Thanks for sharing it.

Beautiful :thumbsup:

Thanks Steve, Jack and Stuart. @Duckdog Congrats on your new pup, he’s a good looking dog! I just got a new cat myself a couple weeks ago. Your SAK still looks new and the I love the grind on the little clip blade on the winterbottom.:thumbsup: Even if you’re a bad influence, at least I’ll be broke in style with awesome knives:confused: Yes I’m looking forward to pearl Sundays to see more from your pearl pile Stuart.

A Schrade 234k Butter and Molasses today. Has an earlier tang stamp with NY so even though I can't narrow it down to the year, the NY puts it earlier then later than the tang stamps without the NY. It has solid blades with no play that are centered nicely in the well:thumbsup:

HTVcA2.jpg

lKBcUU.jpg

Last edited:
Nice example Paul. One of the few I’ve never had. I hem and haw when it comes to celluloid anymore.

I love the look and will keep the ones I have separate from the rest. I’ve lost a few to the silent outgassing of the Celluloid as it breaks down.

I had the prettiest 50s-60s Kutmaster Brownie knife that for whatever reason after 20 years in the box with my other vintage slipjoints started to break down, within a week of having it out and seeing no problems, it destroyed the satin finish on 3 different blades without any warning or obvious effects on the original polished blades or celluloid scales.

It’s so knice when it’s stable but so evil when it breaks down.

Thanks, Vince. :)

Thanks, Stuart; due to inadequate planning, that Opinel mod required more than just the handle mod I'd envisioned. :rolleyes:
Have you taught that new dog some old tricks? ;)
Because of my apparently chronic woeful behindness, I'm basically just picking one post per page on which to comment. :(

Rambunctious, ravishing ram's horn, Dee! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

High-class knife, John!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Fine example of a very desirable pattern, Steve! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Many years ago, I used to attend the Derby at Churchill Downs quite regularly. Looks like that pair of thoroughbreds raced to a photo finish, Stuart! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Splendid old stockman, Nick! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

That handle reminds me of Texas Hill Country, Vince! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;) I don't suppose that includes the Gulf Coast?

3 fine knives, Joshua, and you've arranged to grow them to about 3.14159! ;):cool::thumbsup: (Thanks for the heads up a while back on the Queen canoe; it was gone by the time I noticed it, but someone gave me a similar S&M canoe just before that!)

That's a sublime knife, FBC :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:, but how can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat? :eek::p

It's a good feeling to have a literal EDC, isn't it, John? :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

That Staglon 897UH is just about the perfect stockman IMHO, Jeff! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Those two go together real well, Tom! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

That sounds like a grand plan to me, Jer! :thumbsup::thumbsup::) I don't have an old Imperial stockman, but I have several old Imperial jacks, and I eagerly anticipate their turns in my rotation schedule!

Elegance and excellence, Senhor José! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Shapely and colorful pair, Dean! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

IMHO, you could go wrong with that pair by NOT carrying them, Vince! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Sublime sowbelly stockman, Dwight.

Usually, I make my weekly knife switch on Monday mornings, but didn't have time this morning. So I'll post some of my knives from last week that did not get pictured in this thread then.
Miscellaneous knife was a Rough Rider whittler with spear main:
ZVvJkw1.jpg

Peanutish Knife of last week was a Case mini copperhead:
s4piot2.jpg

Stag/Horn Knife last week was a Marbles Ram's Horn Barlow:
sGUcni1.jpg

Lambsfoot of the week was 2018 ebony Guardians lambsfoot I call Black Jack:
View attachment 1071505

- GT

That way I can have my pie and cut it too.

Back