What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

This is a very cool pair. Big straight edge and a nice drop point with some belly. Maybe my favorite.
View attachment 1074356

Those two look like they work well together Taylor :thumbsup:

eDUVNvn.jpg

Excellent pic :thumbsup:

Carrying this old Utica Cattle Punch today

V5yn7sO.jpg

What a lovely old knife :) :thumbsup:

A working knife to go to the transfer station.
bDd86AJ.jpg

Nicely photographed my friend :) :thumbsup:

And so today on my hip -

Navaja on Junipers in the snow

View attachment 1074501

My very fine View attachment 1074512 navaja - His - "straight point folder".

Ray

Great pics :thumbsup:

Beautiful :thumbsup:

Got my work all completed for today! I’ve cleaned up and slipped into something Stag for the rest of the day! ;) Pam’s making homemade nachos for dinner and we’re getting ready for an evening of #1 ranked basketball! :D

31996934717_79c94113f6_b_d.jpg

Sounds like a great weekend Ron, nice stag :) :thumbsup:

This one - from French sheath maker Max Capdebarthes - his Randonneur Series

View attachment 1074634

Makes this a ready carry. Like it was made for this Navaja.

Ray

I have a couple of those in black, very nice quality :thumbsup:

Lovely old Penknife :thumbsup:

First let me state that I am truely in awe of the collections that you all have accumulated... Over the past 6 months I have been quietly lurking and appreciateing the almost limitless number of well loved, studied and appreciated "tools" ( if I can really bring myself to stretch the word "tool" far enough to describe these working pieces of art) but in all of this gawking, a few question have arisen: First being are there any books currently in print that you guys would recommend that would allow me to learn more about tradition folders (without constantly having to ask an endless amount of questions) and further my knowledge? And 2: I come from a firearm background, and I have collected, sold, refinished and built a fairly substancial number of them, in so I have established what some would call a strange feeling about collectables. The biggest of which being that I feel when you look at a fine rifle or over-under shotgun, you are really only getting a small portion of the whole picture. The use of a fine tool is where its value truly lies. So my question is, do collectors have multiple collections? Do you have one drawer of "users" and a climate controlled, sanitary room used only to house special knives that you only touch with white silk gloves? Or is part of the beauty of each knife its function? Sorry for the long post, I'm finding my way to sanity , and developing an appreciation for art all in one swoop here. Thanks for letting me lurk ladies and gents.

Welcome to The Porch :thumbsup: There are lots of great books on traditional pocket knives (a few stinkers too), but I think Bernard Levine's Guide to Knives and Their Values is still the best place to start. The Fourth edition is the most sought after, and consequently most expensive, but you can find earlier editions at reasonable prices, and even read some of the later Blade's Guide to Knives and Their Values online for free :thumbsup:

Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend :) I'm carrying these two today :) :thumbsup:

xGgxVEt.jpg

1Lo64kS.jpg

Does it count that I take it out of tube hibernation and carry it around indoors?;) Not cutting stuff but giving it an airing.

Outside is bright but the glass like surfaces are taking their toll of broken bones, I fell on my back trying to get the car off a polished ice hill:eek: No damage but I went off to buy some Ice Bug boots (with spikes, costly but the only answer:D)

66 Slim in Grey Pearl Acrylic, it's very complex stuff but the devil to film :D I'd like another run of the Slim 66s in some new materials, it's a fine Penknife construction and excellently made.

MYLxuCP.jpg

Very interesting photos . I am a fan of the Seahorse Whittler and that is a beautiful Arno Bernard . I once bought an Arno Bernard for a gift for a future Grandson-in-law and thought that it may very well have been the most perfectly made knife that I had ever held . I really admire yours my friend . Thank you for the pictures .

Harry
Thanks,
I am impressed with the Arno Bernard and agree it's one of the most perfectly made knives I've ever held. The proportions and lines are beautiful, the grind and polish completely flawless.
This one's an A.G. Russell exclusive, the "Small Hunter." It's small, a three-finger grip, 2.5" blade. Just right for totin' around town.
I've got my eye on another of his, a bigger one in rams horn...someday...
I decided to give it the dignity of some better pictures in this morning's light.

full
full

Back