What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Is it time? The Spring Equinox The worm moon

46512539135_bb9c9a008c_b.jpg

Into the center of the Sun ;)

Last edited:
Never realized the Eureka Jack had a coping secondary. That would make a great user!
Help me out with the Case, though. What is offensive?

I share your passion for coffee! Dark, strong, and black, please.
Lovely wood on the Jack!

Good morning Jeff :)

I'm like a wet salty old bear until I have some coffee.

Mrs. Oro while still charming, is even worse!

So for us, strong coffee is the key to a long happy marriage. :D

WV3FoHy.jpg

I officially have a problem. I'm attempting to carry the Camillus scout for all of 2019. I've also been trying to add in a cool second knife from my collection, to carry and show off each day. This has been working really well for me lately........ until today. I have my trusty Camillus with me, and I've selected a Case Carhartt medium stockman to show off, but I also can't seem to remove yesterday's Case Mini-Trapper from my pocket. This Mini-Trapper is really, really sweet. It's a total "I'm in love" kind of fine. It fits my hand like it was made just for me. It looks flat out gorgeous. Fit and finish is spot on. Both blades cut like there's no tomorrow. It's actually stainless. This trapper is really working for me. I need to carry it for a while, I guess as my second knife, to see if it has the staying power that I believe it might.

0s7ECOrh.jpg

umrOvpGh.jpg
Buzz, you’re killing me with pictures of this knife. The mini trapper is a great edc size for me, and I really like the idea of the wharncliffe secondary. I’ve taken the first step and found one at the big online river store, and it’s in my wishlist. Next step will be the shopping cart, and then push the purchase button.
I’m fighting a losing battle....

John

I officially have a problem. I'm attempting to carry the Camillus scout for all of 2019. I've also been trying to add in a cool second knife from my collection, to carry and show off each day. This has been working really well for me lately........ until today. I have my trusty Camillus with me, and I've selected a Case Carhartt medium stockman to show off, but I also can't seem to remove yesterday's Case Mini-Trapper from my pocket. This Mini-Trapper is really, really sweet. It's a total "I'm in love" kind of fine. It fits my hand like it was made just for me. It looks flat out gorgeous. Fit and finish is spot on. Both blades cut like there's no tomorrow. It's actually stainless. This trapper is really working for me. I need to carry it for a while, I guess as my second knife, to see if it has the staying power that I believe it might.

So number 3 of my new loaded pocket scenario today is the Case Carhartt medium stockman. This is yet another Case medium stockman that floats about my house (Why is is always the Case medium stockmans that get relegated to continual chore duty in my home?) in search of something to cut. It doesn't live with my knife collection. It moves from room to room, drawer to drawer, table to table, whenever I have a long term project. It's the knife that my daughter knows to grab whenever I tell her to grab a knife for me. I originally purchased it, maybe five years ago from a genuine Carhartt brick and mortar store, which is pretty much a toy store for any Upstate New York outdoorsman.

I bought the Carharrt as sort of a beater knife. Kind of a do everything knife. The Rugged Duck G-10 covers provide an exceptionally good grip, even for G-10, and are effectively indestructible. The tangs and bolsters have some interesting shaping, that add to the uniqueness of the design. I love the As Ground finish on the blades, and wish more Case knives featured this finish. The shield is brass, just like the Carhartt's signature zippers. This is the knife that convinced me to give Case's Tru-Sharp stainless a real try. As much as I love higher end stainless steels, I have to admit that on a knife with this thin of a hollow grind, the Tru-Sharp works remarkably well. The grind seems to offer so little cutting resistance, that edge deformation is greatly reduced. And when a blade starts to dull a bit, it still cuts reasonably well because of that thin grind. It's even a relatively easy stainless to sharpen, requiring no more than an Arkansas stone and a strop.

Other than it not having a cover material with greater collector pedigree, it's pretty much the perfect slipjoint. Fit and finish is excellent. Better than most Case knives, IMHO, because of the As Ground finish. I don't have to take care of it in the least, except for the occasionally sharpening. The crazy thin grinds cut better than most traditionals in my collection, and it didn't even cost me that much money. It's hardly Case's prettiest knife ever, but it must come very close to being the most functional knife they've ever made. I think it very fitting that it bears the Carhartt name, as it embodies so many of Carhartt's historic qualities.

0s7ECOrh.jpg

umrOvpGh.jpg

YiMg6O0h.jpg

I feel your pain, Buzz. The Wharncliffe Mini Trapper is one of Case's best knives. I got the Army shield version a while ago and was amazed at the fit, finish, bone, etc. I call it perfect. Your Carhartt is one I've looked at often.

I usually try to draw the line at three to carry, and that only in the winter. Normally, I only carry two. When summer comes, I am in shorts all the time and only carry one. In your case that would be easy as your Camillus appears to be your grail knife. :)

Buzz, you’re killing me with pictures of this knife. The mini trapper is a great edc size for me, and I really like the idea of the wharncliffe secondary. I’ve taken the first step and found one at the big online river store, and it’s in my wishlist. Next step will be the shopping cart, and then push the purchase button.
I’m fighting a losing battle....

John

John, here is another example of the Wharncliffe mini trapper. Maybe this will help you. :D

Something about the Loewen Messer that just sings ...love it !! Hope your wearing some cool lumberjack suspenders with that Western in your pocket :eek::D:thumbsup: It looks big
Thank you very much Gevo . I guess I have a lot of Favorite Knives , and I have to admit that these 2 are On The List . The Loewen Messer is just nice and light in the pocket and even though it has been somewhat abused , it will usually do what I need it to do . All steel construction with probably Cocobolo handles , sharpens to a good edge except for the huge NICK , and a Rats Tail Bolster and great stamping on the blade . @Fodderwing Dwight has what appears to be a brand new and unused Old One . Boy does it look nice . The Western is just a very well made Huge Knife will surely take care of what the Loewen Messer can't handle and the price was great . Take care my friend . I hope that you are still doing well .

Harry

Bought some new work pants with a rather unusual pocket layout. So, what better way to test out the new pockets than a pocket load out? Fiddleback Forge Esquire (Thanks, Phillip!), SAK Rancher, BF301 (Thanks, Alan!), TC14, and my trusty Peanut. Incredibly comfortable to wear all this gear, surprisingly.

20190320-121928-2.jpg

I feel your pain, Buzz. The Wharncliffe Mini Trapper is one of Case's best knives. I got the Army shield version a while ago and was amazed at the fit, finish, bone, etc. I call it perfect. Your Carhartt is one I've looked at often.

I usually try to draw the line at three to carry, and that only in the winter. Normally, I only carry two. When summer comes, I am in shorts all the time and only carry one. In your case that would be easy as your Camillus appears to be your grail knife. :)

We're very similar in our carry. I'm often a two knife guy in the colder months, when I'm wearing denim or canvas every day. But once the shorts weather arrives, I instantly move down to one knife. When the weather gets hot, it seems that knives at least triple in their original weight, instantly turning to lead in my pocket.

Back