What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Carrying these two today :thumbsup:

a8u1nt1.jpg

c5iihWN.jpg

Yes, the diagram goes back several hundred years and was made popular again in the 18th and 19th centuries for military saber all over Europe and the New World. The numbered cuts and parries are also the foundation of Filipino blade systems (which take the name, eskrima, from the Spanish for swordplay, esgrima, indicating the European origins of their systems).
Zieg
It also looks like Peter Coyote's training device in that movie with multiple names about South American knife fighting.
5a9JHnd.jpg

This one is Portuguese from the Spanish-American War era, according to the guys who had a couple of small barrels of them in the early '70s. The full and half fort are almost square, with an edge only on the full and half feeble.

Last edited:
I'm challenging myself to a "Centenarian Week" of carrying knives that are over 100 years old. Today, it's a gift from Charlie (thank you, and get well soon!) This Bunting & Son, Sheffield qualifies as a Sesquicentarian!

i7st5Df.jpg

Gorgeous knife and photo, Mark. :thumbsup:
Thanks, Dean. Much appreciated, my friend! Beautiful swayback and mini copperhead you've shown. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Carrying these two today :thumbsup:

a8u1nt1.jpg

c5iihWN.jpg
Love the Ebony, Jack.:thumbsup:

Lambfoot again for me. As well as my TC forum knife- sending good vibes to our friend Charlie C. @waynorth
I hope he feels the love from hundreds of people, all across the country, and in fact the world, carrying his treasures and pulling for him.
b0vVzXX.jpg

27t6TEC.jpg

Carried these two Case Knives yesterday, a pen size 63033 Small Stockman and a 6332 Medium Stockman. The small Sheepsfoot on the 63033 got to do a little work opening up some Bomber fishing lure packages last evening. Thinking about carrying a Schrade Carpenters Whittler today; I'll see when I walk out the door! OH
Case-63033-Stockman-Pen-1981.jpg

Case-6332-Medium-Stockman-1978-2.jpg

It feels good to have a Camillus saw scout back in my pocket today. It's been about a year since I stopped carrying one, but the shape and weight still feel familiar to my hand. This particular knife, a Remington R-4, was my very first saw scout, the one that ignited my craze to collect them all. This was actually the knife that brought me back to the porch years back, after a bit of an absence. I'd been switching back and forth between a Vic Pioneer and Farmer for years on end, and needed a change to something more traditional looking. This was my answer.

Assessing this knife with freshened eyes today, it's still a great scout. Smooth and easy pulls, with a nice snap to open. Killer selection of tools for the outdoorsman. Great construction quality for a such a complicated 3-layer pattern. Five blades with absolutely no wobble. The wood saw has some odd grind marks, but it happens with mass produced knives. If I had to change a few things, which I'll consider:

• I'd like to change the covers to something nicer than jigged Delrin, but I'm not quite sure what. The outdoorsman in me wants natural canvas micarta or yellow Delrin. The traditionalist in me wants real Remington jigged bone. I'd probably also scare up an old broken Remington scout from a century past, and use the shield from that one.
  • Both the spear and coping blade could using some thinning on the grind. After using an older Camilus lately, and a ton of Case knives, I've truly come to appreciate thinner grinds. These saw scout blades are not overly thick or anything, but I'd love to get the spear and coping thicknesses, behind the edges, down to around .019" and .017" respectively for more efficient cutting and easier field sharpening.
  • The flat head screwdriver needs to be filed down a tad, to give it a bit more bite.
  • The can opener could use a ground bevel to make it work better, and would probably allow it to serve double duty as a package opener.

YPlFyJuh.jpg

Back