What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

CU1i2Pa.jpg

Thanks Paul. Just in case you don't know, that's the knife Glenn modded and gave away in his 2018 Bladeforums GAW. And coincidentally, I'm dropping one in the mail to him today to have his magic performed on. :D

Great post as always Buzz. Beautiful knives, the copper lock scales are incredible.

Wonderful image Steve.

Thanks !

Two knives today. The saw cut bone Mini Copperlock is so pretty, I even included a shot of her backside. Case really does make some extremely nice covers, if you shop around.

The beat up red cross Vic Pioneer is an old friend. It's a nice knife too. Brass center liner and all. I got this one used back in.......... I'm not sure. Maybe 2004 or 2005? After my daughter was born in 2006, I pretty much had zero time for knife collecting. I got realistic, and grabbed for a knife that would give me no hassles and no surprises from day to day. Something with a keen edge and a few tools to get me by. A knife that was slim, well constructed, and not too heavy. This old Pioneer answered the call, and it was pretty much the only knife I carried for many years afterward. It was my gateway back from tacticals to traditional knives, not wanting my daughter to grow up, her friends all thinking she had the weird dad with the collection of giant man-killing serrated black death blades. I was time for a gentler more patient persona.

This is my first time even picking up a Pioneer in a few years. What a treat. I'd forgotten how perfectly crafted these knives are. All of the tools have so much snap. Perfect walk and talk. Not even a remote hint of wobble. Truly well designed tools. And this particular Vic has not only been through hell and back with me, but a previous owner as well. Even though the blade isn't totally full anymore, it still measures to .020" behind the cutting edge, so the grind is nice and thin, the way I like it. I personally love the look of the old red cross Vics, after they've had some pocket time. I normally prefer my traditionals to be scratch free, but Vic alox is the exception to the rule. The patina of worn red alox says so much about the long Victorinox history of excellence and durability. The simplicity of the red cross logo also call to me. I think this may be my answer to carrying a scout pattern this summer, without having to worry about carbon steel.

hA4sXhKh.jpg

Cz1PqH6h.jpg

gFYKmmsh.jpg

Very cool Buzz :thumbsup:. If I ever had to pick a single knife it would be an ALOX SAK of some variety.

John, Steve, Jack, Tom, Ron, Dean, & Stuart,
Thanks for the warm welcome back after my lengthy self-imposed exile. :)

The "too sharp" girlfriend is the same one that took your orange Farmer hostage?? :eek: You are a patient and forgiving man, Tom! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: Glad you finally got the Farmer back, even if you had to pay a ransom. :thumbsup::cool::D

Here are the 4 I always carry:
View attachment 1125315

- GT

Thanks GT! Yes same one (she is definitely the better half). It was a relatively small price to pay for the release of my beloved orange farmer :). I love seeing the math knife again :thumbsup:, even if the actual math completely eludes me (Euler's identity?)

These two for me today.

Rc9bnKS.jpg

Thank you, Ron. :)
and that is a very sexy Barlow you are totin' today. :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:
Thanks John! It’s hard to beat a Case XX from the 1940-1964 period! :)

Two knives today. The saw cut bone Mini Copperlock is so pretty, I even included a shot of her backside. Case really does make some extremely nice covers, if you shop around.

The beat up red cross Vic Pioneer is an old friend. It's a nice knife too. Brass center liner and all. I got this one used back in.......... I'm not sure. Maybe 2004 or 2005? After my daughter was born in 2006, I pretty much had zero time for knife collecting. I got realistic, and grabbed for a knife that would give me no hassles and no surprises from day to day. Something with a keen edge and a few tools to get me by. A knife that was slim, well constructed, and not too heavy. This old Pioneer answered the call, and it was pretty much the only knife I carried for many years afterward. It was my gateway back from tacticals to traditional knives, not wanting my daughter to grow up, her friends all thinking she had the weird dad with the collection of giant man-killing serrated black death blades. I was time for a gentler more patient persona.

This is my first time even picking up a Pioneer in a few years. What a treat. I'd forgotten how perfectly crafted these knives are. All of the tools have so much snap. Perfect walk and talk. Not even a remote hint of wobble. Truly well designed tools. And this particular Vic has not only been through hell and back with me, but a previous owner as well. Even though the blade isn't totally full anymore, it still measures to .020" behind the cutting edge, so the grind is nice and thin, the way I like it. I personally love the look of the old red cross Vics, after they've had some pocket time. I normally prefer my traditionals to be scratch free, but Vic alox is the exception to the rule. The patina of worn red alox says so much about the long Victorinox history of excellence and durability. The simplicity of the red cross logo also call to me. I think this may be my answer to carrying a scout pattern this summer, without having to worry about carbon steel.

hA4sXhKh.jpg

Cz1PqH6h.jpg

gFYKmmsh.jpg
A great post Buzz and a classy pair of knives! :thumbsup: :cool:

Here are the 4 I always carry:
2018-11-edc-flash-jpg.1125315
That’s a great quartet Gary! :thumbsup: :D

Enzo Elver.

Og4Yk2P.jpg

efqT4MW.jpg
A very inviting photo and a great FB! :thumbsup: :)

uqMZXEf.jpg

These today, its a shame Jim Parker could be such a con artist. When he had knives made with his name only on them they were quite often very nice. My Dad has a smooth bone Lil'Bandit he has had since the 80's. Its still a great knife. The two barlows and the sowbelly I picked up are really well made. Shame a man has to soil his reputation to make a dishonest dollar.

Glad you like it Harvey, and it's great to see that Sheldon Knife :) :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot Ron :) :thumbsup:

Very nice Nick :thumbsup:

Lovely stuff Jose :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot Ron :) :thumbsup:

Thanks pal :D :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words Harvey :) :thumbsup:

I forgot to check my pockets when I slipped in my Lambsfoot de jour, so I've ended up carrying these three :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

DemBEpM.jpg

2eBlEfE.jpg

iOgAMOM.jpg
That’s a beautiful trio, Jack. So when you slip them in your pocket, are they in slips? Curious.

Back