What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

These two today

HWq2Sqn.jpg

Spectacular combo. That just screams for hard work. Eminently practical.

Last edited:
Spectacular combo. That just screams for hard work.

Something old and something new today. My old Vic Pioneer once again, along with a brand spanking new Case bone stag Tribal Lock. The Tribal Lock is a bit of a conundrum for me. I love the knife. It’s spectacular. Crazy wonderful bone. But the blade shape and size is close enough to a standard scout pattern that they don’t pair particularly well.

But no matter how you look at it, the Tribal is an amazing knife. Perfect fit and finish on mine. I was lucky enough to be able to sort of hand pick the bone in this one.

vQ3WJy5h.jpg

mKD1DPLh.jpg

Something old and something new today. My old Vic Pioneer once again, along with a brand spanking new Case bone stag Tribal Lock. The Tribal Lock is a bit of a conundrum for me. I love the knife. It’s spectacular. Crazy wonderful bone. But the blade shape and size is close enough to a standard scout pattern that they don’t pair particularly well.

But no matter how you look at it, the Tribal is an amazing knife. Perfect fit and finish on mine. I was lucky enough to be able to sort of hand pick the bone in this one.

vQ3WJy5h.jpg

mKD1DPLh.jpg
That's some exceptional looking bone stag on that Tribal, Buzz! I'm glad you got a nice one!

I just found out from the power company that they are shutting off electricity on our street in 30 minutes for a 2-4 hour period, so I gotta post fast. I'm totin' two oddities today for the fun of it: a Maxam Classic hunter and a George Schrade wire handle jack. The Maxam is about 30 years old and was made in Japan. F&F is iffy and the design execution spotty, but it stays sharp and it works (have broken down 2 deer with it). I like the grip options. Stamp on left side of blade says "DESIGN PATENT PENDING" and stamp on right side says "MFG.IN JAPAN NAT'L HEADQUARTERS ***USA***". I guess they were covering all bases. The Schrade is stamped "PAT.1-27-42 PAT. PENDING" in addition to the Geo. Schrade Knife Co, info. These should spark a conversation with my buddies this afternoon.

xkbIV8D.jpg

Ef146QE.jpg

XlO3I8f.jpg

F1kdcUk.jpg

- Stuart

I just found out from the power company that they are shutting off electricity on our street in 30 minutes for a 2-4 hour period, so I gotta post fast. I'm totin' two oddities today for the fun of it: a Maxam Classic hunter and a George Schrade wire handle jack. The Maxam is about 30 years old and was made in Japan. F&F is iffy and the design execution spotty, but it stays sharp and it works (have broken down 2 deer with it). I like the grip options. Stamp on left side of blade says "DESIGN PATENT PENDING" and stamp on right side says "MFG.IN JAPAN NAT'L HEADQUARTERS ***USA***". I guess they were covering all bases. The Schrade is stamped "PAT.1-27-42 PAT. PENDING" in addition to the Geo. Schrade Knife Co, info. These should spark a conversation with my buddies this afternoon.

xkbIV8D.jpg

Ef146QE.jpg

XlO3I8f.jpg

F1kdcUk.jpg

- Stuart

Putting a Schrade wire jack on my list now, hopefully I can find a decent one at an affordable price.

I've had my Ashley's Choice Lambsfoot with me today :) Hope everyone's week is off to a good start :thumbsup:

THzrAOI.jpg

That is a very nice lambsfoot, Jack. :thumbsup: As for the advertisement, was it pipes or tobacco or both that were in short supply or nonexistent during the war?

vQ3WJy5h.jpg

mKD1DPLh.jpg

You have an eye for excellent bone stag, Buzz! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Now I have a voice in my head talking about tribal spears. :)

That is a very nice lambsfoot, Jack. :thumbsup: As for the advertisement, was it pipes or tobacco or both that were in short supply or nonexistent during the war?

While tobacco was frequently rationed during the war, the combat in north Africa made briar (the root of the tree heath) for pipe bowls extremely difficult to come by. Several substitutes were tried, none of which proved entirely satisfactory.

xkbIV8D.jpg

Ef146QE.jpg

XlO3I8f.jpg

F1kdcUk.jpg

- Stuart
Hi Stuart, I've never seen a Schrade wire jack in new condition or that pattern. Yours looks like mine after it was caught in a vise.IMG_2991.JPG

While tobacco was frequently rationed during the war, the combat in north Africa made briar (the root of the tree heath) for pipe bowls extremely difficult to come by. Several substitutes were tried, none of which proved entirely satisfactory.

Thank you for the information, Frailer. :thumbsup:

Back