1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Spectacular combo. That just screams for hard work. Eminently practical.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  2. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Huckleberry Boys Knife:
    [​IMG]
    Courtesy of @r redden.

3. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Something old and something new today. My old Vic Pioneer once again, along with a brand spanking new Case bone stag Tribal Lock. The Tribal Lock is a bit of a conundrum for me. I love the knife. It’s spectacular. Crazy wonderful bone. But the blade shape and size is close enough to a standard scout pattern that they don’t pair particularly well.

But no matter how you look at it, the Tribal is an amazing knife. Perfect fit and finish on mine. I was lucky enough to be able to sort of hand pick the bone in this one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

peanutsxx, viking313, dc50 and 26 others like this.
  4. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    That's some exceptional looking bone stag on that Tribal, Buzz! I'm glad you got a nice one!

dc50, Buzzbait and cigarrodog like this.
  5. Duckdog

Duckdog Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Thanks, OH. Safe travels and tight lines. (Go back to post #140756 for some inspiration for your trip.)
    - Stuart

6. Duckdog

Duckdog Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2012
    I just found out from the power company that they are shutting off electricity on our street in 30 minutes for a 2-4 hour period, so I gotta post fast. I'm totin' two oddities today for the fun of it: a Maxam Classic hunter and a George Schrade wire handle jack. The Maxam is about 30 years old and was made in Japan. F&F is iffy and the design execution spotty, but it stays sharp and it works (have broken down 2 deer with it). I like the grip options. Stamp on left side of blade says "DESIGN PATENT PENDING" and stamp on right side says "MFG.IN JAPAN NAT'L HEADQUARTERS ***USA***". I guess they were covering all bases. The Schrade is stamped "PAT.1-27-42 PAT. PENDING" in addition to the Geo. Schrade Knife Co, info. These should spark a conversation with my buddies this afternoon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Stuart

viking313, dc50, Travman and 23 others like this.
  7. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks Harvey, I love old ads :) :thumbsup:

Looking good Taylor :) :thumbsup:

I'm carrying these two today, my SamDamLamb, and a Stag Bone Case Barlow Randy @r redden sent me recently :) Hope everyone is having a good day :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

viking313, dc50, Travman and 27 others like this.
  8. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    li'l jack and li'l hunter. doc1.jpg a1.jpg

peanutsxx, viking313, dc50 and 28 others like this.
  9. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 15, 2013
    IMG_4378.JPG

10. Whetstone39

Whetstone39 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2013
    These two today.

[​IMG]

peanutsxx, viking313, dc50 and 23 others like this.
  11. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    Two fine images. I also love seeing your other than Lambsfoot knives. The Case images is smashing.

Jack Black and Prester John like this.
  12. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    William Rogers Lambsfoot.
    05E7C08D-A771-4E62-ACC5-124864D17A31.jpeg

CC7AA67F-70BB-4575-A2F5-0AAE30A2F45C.jpeg

viking313, dc50, Travman and 23 others like this.
  13. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Putting a Schrade wire jack on my list now, hopefully I can find a decent one at an affordable price.

Duckdog and cigarrodog like this.
  14. RDaneel

RDaneel Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 23, 2000
    That is a very nice lambsfoot, Jack. :thumbsup: As for the advertisement, was it pipes or tobacco or both that were in short supply or nonexistent during the war?

You have an eye for excellent bone stag, Buzz! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Now I have a voice in my head talking about tribal spears. :)

15. kai76

kai76 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Miller Bros and Cattaraugus
    [​IMG]

16. Frailer

Frailer Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    While tobacco was frequently rationed during the war, the combat in north Africa made briar (the root of the tree heath) for pipe bowls extremely difficult to come by. Several substitutes were tried, none of which proved entirely satisfactory.

Pinemoon, Jack Black and RDaneel like this.
  17. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Hi Stuart, I've never seen a Schrade wire jack in new condition or that pattern. Yours looks like mine after it was caught in a vise. IMG_2991.JPG

18. RDaneel

Apr 23, 2000
    My wife and I were on a mini vacation over a long weekend. This one was with me every day and again today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. RDaneel

Apr 23, 2000
    Thank you for the information, Frailer. :thumbsup:

Jack Black likes this.
  20. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Many thanks Stuart...:thumbsup:

Duckdog likes this.