What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Wow Dwight! :D What a beautiful old pruner my friend! :cool: It has such wonderful Jigged Bone! :thumbsup:

I’m carrying these two today. :)

47706409601_34540d5282_b_d.jpg

46533369425_812af07535_b_d.jpg

Vic OC Pioneer and Case Tribal Lock again. Have I mentioned yet, how much I love this Tribal Lock? :p Such a great knife. I'm starting to get used to the size, and finding that it really fits my style. The blade isn't as alarming in size as the GEC #43, so it's a bit more people friendly, but still has a nice sized handle for tougher chores.

LCIkdjJh.jpg

ixcn5TWh.jpg

Vic OC Pioneer and Case Tribal Lock again. Have I mentioned yet, how much I love this Tribal Lock? :p Such a great knife. I'm starting to get used to the size, and finding that it really fits my style. The blade isn't as alarming in size as the GEC #43, so it's a bit more people friendly, but still has a nice sized handle for tougher chores.

LCIkdjJh.jpg

ixcn5TWh.jpg

Did you find the need to sharpen or reprofile the edge on your tribal lock? I've had a couple of Case knives and they've had somewhat blunt tips and more of a toothy edge to them. The profile of the tribal lock is really cool, in any case and that's some great bone stag (or whatever it is called).

Did you find the need to sharpen or reprofile the edge on your tribal lock? I've had a couple of Case knives and they've had somewhat blunt tips and more of a toothy edge to them. The profile of the tribal lock is really cool, in any case and that's some great bone stag (or whatever it is called).

I seldom need to reprofile my new Case knives. They usually run at or less than a 30 degree inclusive edge angle, which I'm totally cool with. But the edges the blades come with are usually quite coarse, and often have a noticeable burr. I'm generally cool with coarse edges, but the burrs are definitely an issue. If I can, I'll simply strop off the burr, using my old leather bench strop, treated with BRKT green compound. But if the burr is stubbornly persistent, I'll take the blade to an India stone for a few swipes, alternating sides until the burr falls off.

The blunt tip of an overly polished blade is another issue. If it's bad enough. I'll run the spine of the blade, right at the tip, along an India stone. It only takes a few swipes to bring the point back. Then I'll strop the spine, point trailing, to smooth it out. It's important to fix the tip by removing metal from the spine instead of the cutting edge. It's a lot less work, looks much better, and doesn't mess up the cutting edge.

I seldom need to reprofile my new Case knives. They usually run at or less than a 30 degree inclusive edge angle, which I'm totally cool with. But the edges the blades come with are usually quite coarse, and often have a noticeable burr. I'm generally cool with coarse edges, but the burrs are definitely an issue. If I can, I'll simply strop off the burr, using my old leather bench strop, treated with BRKT green compound. But if the burr is stubbornly persistent, I'll take the blade to an India stone for a few swipes, alternating sides until the burr falls off.

The blunt tip of an overly polished blade is another issue. If it's bad enough. I'll run the spine of the blade, right at the tip, along an India stone. It only takes a few swipes to bring the point back. Then I'll strop the spine, point trailing, to smooth it out. It's important to fix the tip by removing metal from the spine instead of the cutting edge. It's a lot less work, looks much better, and doesn't mess up the cutting edge.

Thanks for sharing your method! I hadn't considered taking off from the spine, but that makes perfect sense. I don't mind toothy or coarse edges either, as they can be useful, but most of my cutting tasks don't really require a coarse edge, so I usually do a little work on a waterstone and then use the smooth side of my honing rod to get a fine microbevel.

Holy smokes, miss a few days with barely any cell service and it takes forever to catch up. So just pretend I posted these on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday....
90-EC324-C-3-E67-43-F5-A6-EE-742-A7-E48-E971.jpg

4-D1474-CE-254-D-4315-AD1-E-649-C3845100-A.jpg

Wherever that's at is where I want to be. Beautiful country with no cell phones or other stuff to take away from the experience.

I have opted for stainless on this hot and humid day.

IMG_4429.JPG

But the edges the blades come with are usually quite coarse, and often have a noticeable burr. I'm generally cool with coarse edges, but the burrs are definitely an issue. If I can, I'll simply strop off the burr, using my old leather bench strop, treated with BRKT green compound. But if the burr is stubbornly persistent, I'll take the blade to an India stone for a few swipes, alternating sides until the burr falls off.

I was removing burrs from a couple of blades on a recent Case knife just last night. I started to do it on a strop, but was fearful of damaging the surface, so gave each blade a few swipes on a flat ultra-fine ceramic stone :thumbsup:

Beautiful photo Harvey :thumbsup:

Yeah ditto, what he said, I concur. Not only that, I agree.
Great bone on that Remmie!
Thanks Jeff. :)

Holy smokes, miss a few days with barely any cell service and it takes forever to catch up. So just pretend I posted these on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday....
90-EC324-C-3-E67-43-F5-A6-EE-742-A7-E48-E971.jpg

4-D1474-CE-254-D-4315-AD1-E-649-C3845100-A.jpg
Gorgeous country Jim. Looks like the upper Green in Wy above Bondurant.

Great-looking Pruner Dwight
Thanks Jack.

Whoa !! Sweet
Thanks Gev. A fine Pal as well.

Sweet knife, Dwight. These scales are off the chart cool
Thanks Harvey. That's a fine lamb setting in the mouth of a wood cave. :)

Back