What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Could you even imagine what today's parents would say if their kids came back from a field trip with a knife. :eek:
Most would be in shock, but I'd ask why they didn't get me one. :D
You're right. Can't believe I fell for Rachel's April Fool story about Whataburger giving away knives. Thought it was a great idea, but I should have realized that's not likely in today's environment. Maybe in the '50s or '60s.

Oh, I would'a been so mad! :mad:
Gender specific stereotyping cuts both ways, Rachel! Way back when, I was content with dark blue scales on my Cub/Boy Scout knives, and didn’t give a hoot about the color of Girl Scout knives.
Now, I’m thinkin (my wife says that could be trouble) that I should pick one up to match my latest guitar rehab that I painted Seafoam Green.
Could you even imagine what today's parents would say if their kids came back from a field trip with a knife. :eek:

Some of us probably need to remind our kids not to take their knives to school!

At first, the farmer’s jack/ Orchard Gem looks funny. One end is skinny, one is fat, the blade curves the wrong way, and it sticks out a lot when it’s closed.
Then some enabler hands you one, and says “check this out”.
Then you get a hollow feeling in the pit of yer belly whenever somebody shows a photo of one.
Yeah. Please let me know if and when they make some more!
Sorry to hear you’re one handed!
What happened, one of your knives bit you?
No bite my friend , carpal tunnel op.

Harry

Smooth Ivory Bone #06 Pemberton
vfREyeT.jpg

Big Knife this week is an Imperial USA clip/pen toothpick (thanks, Dave):
View attachment 1136422

Watchpocket Knife this weeks a Rough Rider tobacco bone cannitler:
sXLcNKq.jpg

International Knife this week is a Mercator Black Cat:
550M62V.jpg

Bailed non-SAK this week is a Colonial Forest-Master, my first knife ever:
pXfUE8S.jpg

- GT

It is really cool that you still have your first knife GT :thumbsup: :cool:

My first was a 2 blade Coca Cola knife that I have tried to find for years but fear it is lost for good.

Hoping these three are lucky for my team tonight.

AzXruAn.jpg

An embarrassment of riches:
nCXu59R.jpg

And dragging this one behind me in my Radio Flyer little red wagon.
jHyWG5P.jpg

What was that movie where W.C. Fields transformed milksop Bing Crosby into "Colonel Steele, the singing killer"? And had some tales to tell:
"'I unsheathed my Bowie knife, and hewed a path through a wall of human flesh, dragging my canoe behind me'.
'Where was the goat?'
'Under my arm.'".

Last edited:
Great choices for today Jack! :thumbsup: :)

My daily double for today consists of an Ebony ‘18 Guardians Lambsfoot and a Stag Winchester from ‘91.

47957911976_e8aeab75d7_b_d.jpg

Thanks Ron, back at you my friend :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack. Did you manage to hang on to any of those knives the cutlery firm handed out when you were a child? Imagine a coin knife made by Mr Shaw! :eek: :cool: Wouldn't that be something! Great pair you have today! Lucy and AC.

I actually missed that trip, must have been ill or something. Sheffield was awash with pocket knives in those days though, and my dad worked in a cutlery factory. The coin knives were very common, but I don't think I ever actually had one. I have collected old coins with matching dates for Stan a few times. Thank you very much :) :thumbsup:

Oh, I would'a been so mad! :mad:

You would! :thumbsup: There was also a trip to a coal-mine, but only boys were allowed down the mine as the miners supposedly believed it was bad luck for a woman to go down a mine (it was certainly bad luck for the women and girls who had to work down them a generation or two earlier)! By the time that came round for my class though, the trip was cancelled, as the discrimination would have been unlawful by then. I wish they had cancelled our trip to the local sewage treatment plant too! :eek:

Shown today in Wooden Wednesday thread but the blade was closed. :eek:
Drop point 73 w/ lock :cool:
EIKWnQT.jpg

That's better! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Ya'll have a great day.

I always think that is a very nice pattern James, nice photo of it too :) :thumbsup:

The first knife I purchased with my own money was bought on a school trip in front of my teachers. It was a slip joint with a blade about 3 1/2 inches long :cool: :D :thumbsup:

My daughter too! Who wants scissors when you can get a knife?

They did the same thing during the 1952 Coronation, every school boy in Sheffield received a Richards penknife, the girls got scissors o_O From what I've heard, the scissors probably lasted longer! o_O :rolleyes:

No bite my friend , carpal tunnel op.

Harry

Best wishes for a speedy recovery Harry :thumbsup:

I remember

“Ruby...don’t take your love to town”

Great song! :D :thumbsup:

Be Prepared - Seems appropriate with all this continuous record Weather o_O:eek: Please close that can of worms

40075287173_25d5083f3d_k.jpg

Cool knife and pic Gev :) :thumbsup:

Hoping these three are lucky for my team tonight.

AzXruAn.jpg

Good luck Tom, those are three Bobby Dazzlers :) :thumbsup:

Back