What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

YUSDXTn.jpg

I know Patton wasn't involved with D-Day, but it's a good reminder. The other is a WW2 era Camillus post exchange resale knife. A few of which I'm sure was carried stowed away in a pocket or ruck, and carried across that hell of beach. Carried in honor of my neighbor growing up. A First infrantry soldier who I know fought at least from Sicily onward to the close of the war. A man who'd tell me stories of his experience, and things he'd seen. A man who after the war went on to occupation duty in Japan, and married a Japanese woman. I only know of her from pictures in his home,he wouldn't talk of her. I could go on and on of the things he told me, but I won't. Its enough that he got to tell someone. So today's carry is in honor of Woodrow, a nice old man who always had a reese's cup and a story for a annoying little kid. Thank you Woodrow, and all of your brothers from every country that stormed the nightmare hell of that beach.
When you do hear the stories, or read about them, I can understand why so many who fought, like my Father at the Battle of the Bulge (3rd Armor), didn’t say much. Making the Assault on D-Day, and surviving, well it takes your breath away just thinking about it.

From Robert Capa. Images of U.S. Forces making the Assault on Omaha Beach.
8C878BC4-024E-472D-B347-DF99192F92C4_zpsbfiy3bml.jpeg

A999A1FD-B3E1-43A5-A176-3374AF3FA624_zpsa90mwuuy.jpeg

The Lexington is in my home town of Corpus Christi. It is permanently moored here, and is a museum now. Saw service in WWII. It's the second Lexington: "the Blue Ghost", thought to have been sunk several times by the Japanese.
MWqzNYO.jpg

The Battleship Texas is in Houston, near the San Jacinto monument (15 feet taller than the Washington Monument), where Sam Houston defeated a larger force of Mexicans under General Santa Ana, and won independence for Texas on April 21, 1836. The battleship saw service in both world wars. Smaller than the Lexington, of course, and you can tour it. Was under partial renovation last year when I last saw it.

Thanks!

Heading out in the morning to Atlanta for Blade. These two are coming along only for show and tell. I hope to meet Mr Dunlap and discuss another similar stockman with my favored wharncliff and pen blades. Unfortunately (fortunately for my wallet probably), Mr Ryu won't be there. If I can find me a nice custom improved trapper for a decent price, I'll be happy.

7C8E6A2E-36A5-4992-839B-39335183DC7D.jpeg

The bone on that knife is so very nice. I have not seen one like that. :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:
Thanks, John. :) That's the 2014 (?) stag Forum knife, but @Markesharp replaced the stag covers with the bone; don't know why. He told me he had a couple of knives he wanted to send me, and that beauty was among the dozen knives in his "couple"! :eek::thumbsup::cool:

Love your Sun-Kissed images, GT.
Thanks, Harvey. :)

Fabulous foursome GT :) :thumbsup:
Thanks, Jack. :)

Hope my buttercups brighten your day;)
Impressive set of users, Jeff! :thumbsup::cool::cool: (Surgery??)
Why do you build me up, Buttercup, baby
Just to let me down and mess me around? :D:D

Great choices! If someone asks me today "What's black and white and red all over?", I'll say "Jeff's knives"!
Good one, Vince! ;):thumbsup::cool: I've been waiting 5 years to use that line, and I missed it! :mad:

Good Morning All.
It may get boring to look at the same 'ol knife every day, but it never gets boring to use this one.
Doesn't bore me, John! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: What's the background? Do you have some kind of sandstone outcropping on your property?

Dwight, that pretty pruner must also be pretty potent to take down a tree the size of that stump!! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

What a grand group, Gary! I am particularly enamored with the Alpha and Omega knives. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks, Dean. :) You have an eye for quality! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Wooden Wednesday carry - 2015 Bladeforums knife.

That's an appealing knife! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Long, Lean, and Lovely, Dave! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Venerable and Virile, Harvey! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Commendable Buck canoe! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

I'll be heading out early tomorrow, but I'll have these two with me :thumbsup:
QPL7PEV.jpg

sIFo1Yy.jpg
Carrying these today to commemorate the brave warriors of the United States, Great Britain, Canada and other allies who assaulted the beaches of Normandy on D-Day.

YUSDXTn.jpg

I know Patton wasn't involved with D-Day, but it's a good reminder. The other is a WW2 era Camillus post exchange resale knife. A few of which I'm sure was carried stowed away in a pocket or ruck, and carried across that hell of beach. Carried in honor of my neighbor growing up. A First infrantry soldier who I know fought at least from Sicily onward to the close of the war. A man who'd tell me stories of his experience, and things he'd seen. A man who after the war went on to occupation duty in Japan, and married a Japanese woman. I only know of her from pictures in his home,he wouldn't talk of her. I could go on and on of the things he told me, but I won't. Its enough that he got to tell someone. So today's carry is in honor of Woodrow, a nice old man who always had a reese's cup and a story for a annoying little kid. Thank you Woodrow, and all of your brothers from every country that stormed the nightmare hell of that beach.
On June 6, 1944, my father (who passed in August 2017 at 96) graduated from the U.S. Military Academy at West point, NY. The Normandy invasion was announced at the ceremony. By December, he was in the 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment at the Battle of the Bulge in Belgium. The knives below were not his; I received them from my stepfather who collected them in 1980 to around 2006 (he passed in 2012 at 89). They are in my pockets today.

A Camillus USMC engineer's knife (1942) and and George Schrade "Presto" M-2 paratrooper knife (1940-1956):

EAGvX70.jpg

- Stuart
View attachment 1140514 View attachment 1140513 Mid day switch to honor D Day with two WWII vets.
TL-29 and Utility Jack, both four line, steel liner Camillus.
Jack, Dean, David, Stuart, Jeff: thanks for the fine and touching commemorations of D-Day! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Lovely picture of that lovely Lambsfoot, GT.
- Stuart
Thanks for your daily kind words to so many of us, Stuart; always appreciated. :)

I've been working all day on a sports awards banquet taking place tonight, and toted this Smith & Wesson lockback hunter as a backup for breaking down boxes in case my folding boxcutter went awry. ...
Sunk joint.

ZynvSdm.jpg

- Stuart
I'm sold on that one, Stuart; what a beauty! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I had this Lambsfoot with me today and when I retrieved the Toothpick from my mailbox, it promptly joined the other in my pockets. I guess it is a Stag kind of day.

UG9Nmqb.jpg

GH3FbyI.jpg
Two stunners, Dylan! :cool::thumbsup::cool: Congrats on the stripes-and-squiggles lambsfoot and the stag toothpick!

Congrats on finding that rare treasure, Greg! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Heading to San Antonio for three days to visit my octagenarian uncle....
Have a fabulous visit, Vince; your trapper and lambsfoot seem like a great travel combo! :cool::cool::thumbsup: Thanks for the D-Day reminder, too!

That Case and the Rough Rider, Rules.
That's a fine one, GT. Clean lines give it elegance beyond the mundane.
- Stuart
Nice group of knives, Gary! :)
Thanks, Harry & Stuart & Dean. :) The blue jigged bone Case mini copperhead with the red shield is IMHO the best looking knife I own. (And it convinced Dean to get one just like it. ;):cool::thumbsup:)

A little smaller than I usually carry, at 3.25" closed, but really enjoying this one in yeller delrin and CV!!

Case 32087 half stockman/pen knife (single spring)
View attachment 1140421
Splendid pen knife, Shawn! :thumbsup::cool::cool: I'm carrying mine just like it this week. ;)

The 1st knife you mentioned is a 1970 Case 6208 pattern. Case calls this a half whittler, but I think it is more properly a pen knife. (The 6308, however is a whittler). Thank you for kind comments on both of my knives!
Thanks for the clarifying info, Dean. :)

Man, Dwight, you have a plethora of superb cast metal pocket knives! :eek::cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks for explaining all that, GT. That sounds like a most excellent reason to carry the SBJr. :cool: :thumbsup:
Thanks, John. :)

Dwight, that pretty pruner must also be pretty potent to take down a tree the size of that stump!!
:D a little over two feet in diameter :D

Man, Dwight, you have a plethora of superb cast metal pocket knives
Thank you GT I have quite a few of em for sure. :) Very nice tortoise shell and company but the fancy Case canoe is my pic!

Back