What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

48016284371_817959bb62_h.jpg

Hello, I just saw, that you purchased an old Lütters folder! This is my favorite traditional knife brand, if you're intersted in, some details...
Löwenmesser (lions knife) are very famous under north sea fishermen, the model you have are used to kill and gut the fish.
The writer Kristin Kube wrote a book about the life of the fishermen of the northsea and there is a chapter about their knives, obviusly all made by Lütters, the interviewed fishermen and captains often saw them as some kind of talisman.
Here a link, it's in german..
https://books.google.es/books?id=0X...Bs8Q6AEIMzAB#v=onepage&q=loewenmesser&f=false
The company exists since 1840 and is still produceing, allthough each year less models.
I had the luck to get a few of their sheepfoot folders still with steel bolders, as today they produce these without bolsters.
They are not interested in the colectors market as they sell in big amouts to fishery companies, agricultural , etc.
When you walk trough the harbours of northern germany and denmark (Hamburg (where I'm from), Esbjerg, Tönning, Büsum, Helgoland, Hanstholm, etc) from time to time some old guy pulling out a Löwenmesser :)
Due to the lion on your knife, I think it's from the 50ies or earlier.
Here the link to their page, on the bottom you can download an article from the german knife magazin "MesserMagazin" about Lütters.
https://www.loewenmesser.de/index.php/de/

Regards
Nicolas
Thank you very much for the knife being made in the 50's or earlier period of time . I did suspect that it was at least that old based on the Steel Liners but no better information than that . Mine really is a fine old knife and sharpens up very well except for the chip out of the blade . I suspect that the chip was caused by someone used it to pry two boards apart by pounding on the back of the blade and hitting a nail with the blade . Thank you very much for your posting @surfer .

Harry

Rain on me
I wanna smile
I want to dance
Do yoga in a perfect ray of sunshine
Sit upon a hill
I am just another angel with a voice that wants to sing

46614308535_afdbe4b84a_k.jpg
That very nice Farmer's Jack has it all Gevo . What a beauty it is my friend .

Harry

D Duckdog Great bone on the Camillus and Presto’s are coooool!! Awesome pair of knives Stuart.

Thanks, Nick,

Schrade today.

Look at that jigging and the bevels on those blades. Perfection in a single piece!

That's very nice. What is it?

Mid day switch to honor D Day with two WWII vets.
TL-29 and Utility Jack, both four line, steel liner Camillus.

Subtly superb pairing, Jeff. Thanks for sharing them today.

Today with A. Wright & Son and Case Barlow both in stag!;):thumbsup:

Elegance and utility in your hands, José. Well done, my friend.

Heading out in the morning to Atlanta for Blade.

Travel safely and good hunting.

Thanks for your daily kind words to so many of us, Stuart; always appreciated. :)

I use you, @Jack Black , Half/Stop Half/Stop , and several others as my lodestars, GT.

I'm sold on that one, Stuart; what a beauty! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks, GT. I'm liking it even more after a couple days' carry leading up to the banquet.

Plain Canoe of the Week - Rough Rider tortoise shell:

Case mini copperlock (thanks, Greg):

I agree with @Fodderwing that the RR is a beaut, but the blue Case is excellent everyday elegance.

Rain on me
I wanna smile
I want to dance
Do yoga in a perfect ray of sunshine
Sit upon a hill
I am just another angel with a voice that wants to sing

46614308535_afdbe4b84a_k.jpg

Gev. that gorgeous knife is greater that the sum of its parts. Kudos, pal.

Somehow, these were missed in my prior multi-quote.

This one today :thumbsup:

That's a comely cattle knife, Steve. Humble, honest, and ready to work. It makes me smile. Thanks.

Thanks, Dwight, and that's a bodacious and brassy bunch that you re totin' today. I have only a few and none like those, so thanks for sharing them here.

- Stuart

Back