What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

I love that simple glimpse into your young life Jack and your Mother's practicality. Sadly - there will be few current day young sons sharing similar tales :(

Ray

Thank you Ray, that is very kind :) It's very sad isn't it, was just considered the norm then? :( :thumbsup:

Thank you, Jack! That's great knife (and great photo)!

Thank you very much Dean :) :thumbsup:

Rain on me
I wanna smile
I want to dance
Do yoga in a perfect ray of sunshine
Sit upon a hill
I am just another angel with a voice that wants to sing

46614308535_afdbe4b84a_k.jpg
Gev, this one is truly special my friend! Such a beautiful old gem! :thumbsup: :)

I wanted some color to brighten an already beautiful (if humid) day, so I grabbed this Shapleigh "Diamond Edge" model B472 senator pen in abalone celluloid (1917- mid 1940s).

pzGGwEl.jpg

udZS0m3.jpg

And I decided to spice things up for Fiery Friday with this E.C. Simmons Keen Kutter, also in celluloid (1870-1940).

GjPURAP.jpg

ZuUObPi.jpg

These should get the tongues wagging when i join my friends for libations this afternoon.

- Stuart
Very colorful pair of oldies Stuart! :thumbsup: :)

Gorgeous ebony Ron :thumbsup:

Evening folks (well it's evening here)! Hope everyone is having a good Friday :thumbsup: I've had a busy day in Sheffield with my AC Lambsfoot :thumbsup:

qj6NNnU.jpg
Thanks for the compliment Jack! Your AC is looking great in the natural setting! :thumbsup:

I love that simple glimpse into your young life Jack and your Mother's practicality. Sadly - there will be few current day young sons sharing similar tales :(

Ray
Sadly, I can relate to this. When I was in 4th grade in the late-1960’s, I remember Mrs. Hodges asking us boys on the first day of school if we had a pocket knife with us. Not knowing where she was headed, I sheepishly raised my hand. Her exact reply - after ~50 years - ‘Good, every young man should always carry a pocket knife!’ Still my favorite teacher and I’ve carried a knife almost every day since. Nowadays, a kid gets suspended.

A kid was in the news a few years ago for getting suspended for bringing aspirin to school. Zero Tolerance! An example like that might be expected to make people realize how close zero tolerance is to zero intelligence. But no. And there was the kid who got in trouble for "inappropriate behavior at home" because the camera on his school-issued laptop saw him taking a pill in his bedroom.

Keep on rockin' in the free world.

VL0zR0q.jpg

That's really cool. Did it come with the Kydex sheath?

I've said many times that from a pure functionality point of view, most folks would be well served by a pairing knife.

I *wish* Victorinox offered these with sheaths, but fortunately a gifted forum member has the skills required to make them.

Thanks Gev. Yeah, don't go there! :rolleyes: Step away from the all metal knives... :eek: slippery slope... :D

Very nice David. So, did you go with the coffee dye job?

I had tried coffee before but it didn't get dark enough, so I did a rit dye job. I still had dye in the container from the RR scout and cotton sampler,however the trapper required it to be deeper as it didn't lie flat on the bottom. I'm using an dinty moore beef stew can. So after I added the water I added a bit more chocolate brown rit,and a tad of yellow. Being it already had orange as a base I hoped that would cause it to have a warm tone. I kept checking it and when it got to the shade I wanted I pulled it from the dye bath. I wiped the excess dye of ,then using a cloth rubbed the covers with brown kiwi shoe polish while it was still hot. That helped maintain a luster and hopefully sealed the bone some. Being gunstock checkered covers I wanted a black walnut gunstock color. I'll post a few pics probably in the RR thread tomorrow, to show it off better.

Today with A. Wright & Son and Case Barlow both in stag!;):thumbsup:

2q9f7cx.jpg
2rd8bba.jpg
A day with one stag knife in your pocket is delightful; a day with two stag knives is divine, José!! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Now that's a real beauty of a mini Cooperlock, next knife I my list I tell ya.
Thanks for admiring my mini copperlock, HnS. :)
That's a pair of aces you've got right there! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Heading out in the morning to Atlanta for Blade. These two are coming along only for show and tell. I hope to meet Mr Dunlap and discuss another similar stockman with my favored wharncliff and pen blades. Unfortunately (fortunately for my wallet probably), Mr Ryu won't be there. If I can find me a nice custom improved trapper for a decent price, I'll be happy.

View attachment 1140653
I hope you have a safe, enjoyable, and successful experience, SVTFreak SVTFreak ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:D a little over two feet in diameter :D

Thank you GT I have quite a few of em for sure. :) Very nice tortoise shell and company but the fancy Case canoe is my pic!
That's a fairly girth stump! :eek:;)
Thanks for the comments on my posted knives, Dwight. :) I like canoes a lot, but for some reason, it took me forever to get that readily-available Case amber bone canoe. :rolleyes:

It's a large decorative moss rock.

For not being the biggest GEC fan, you sure do have some nice ones. :cool: :thumbsup:
Thanks for the rock ID, John, and for the compliment on my GECs. :) I do have 3 of them, all gifts from generous BF members :cool::cool::thumbsup:, and I happen to be carrying two of them this week. They're definitely excellent knives, but every metric I use to rate knife quality (except resale price) indicates that GECs are overpriced for me.:(

Do you think Churchill the man ever ate pizza?? Engaging ebony knife, FBC! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I use you, Jack Black Jack Black , Half/Stop Half/Stop , and several others as my lodestars, GT.

Thanks, GT. I'm liking it even more after a couple days' carry leading up to the banquet.

I agree with @Fodderwing that the RR is a beaut, but the blue Case is excellent everyday elegance.
The Porch roof should hold up well, since there really are so many "pillars" of The Porch here! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
That's definitely a likable S&W lockback. :cool::cool:
Thanks for the positive reaction to my knives. :)

11:30 P.M. and just now have the time to review Forums and post . Carried this Case to the YMCA and coffee with our friends .

Then changed out to this Gift from my friend Jeff Amir Fleschwund Amir Fleschwund . A fine old VOOS.

Harry
The Case and Voos are a venerable, vibrant pair, Harry! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Strong dual entry for Black Friday, Ron!! Ebullient ebony! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

5K Qs 5K Qs ~
Thanks once again for your many kind observations!

Double black, heavy duty users for today. Enjoy your Friday, everyone.
View attachment 1140782
Thank YOU, Jeff, for observing my observations. :):cool::cool:
Your pair of dark users will give Ron a run for his money! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Some fun for Friday :)
Nuke it till it glows!! :p:eek::eek:

Another grand grouping, Gary! What do you think of the mini copperlock? I real like the one I have!
Thanks for your encouragement, Dean. :) I like many things about the mini copperlock, especially the one I have. It's a great size (not really "mini" at all) and I like the lock release bar mid-knife, rather than all the way back to the butt. Mine has the walnut Rogers jigged bone with the quad-threaded bolsters, which is a Case combo that really appeals to me. The guy who gave it to me had glennbad put on a custom shield, too.

Any day with a TC Barlow is a good day.

Your Ancient TC is a Theatrical Centenarian, Dean! ;):rolleyes::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Enchanting elderly knife, Harvey! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: And that sheep dip ad is a treat! :D

After a day of brush hogging, some of that Coopers Sheep Dip could be called for. I’ll try a shower first.
Don't forget the tick inspection, Jeff! :eek:;)

I wanted some color to brighten an already beautiful (if humid) day, so I grabbed this Shapleigh "Diamond Edge" model B472 senator pen in abalone celluloid (1917- mid 1940s).

pzGGwEl.jpg

And I decided to spice things up for Fiery Friday with this E.C. Simmons Keen Kutter, also in celluloid (1870-1940).

GjPURAP.jpg

These should get the tongues wagging when i join my friends for libations this afternoon.

- Stuart
Fascinating knives, Stuart! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I wonder who designed old celluloid covers? That top knife has covers that don't appeal to me at all, but the raging inferno of a second knife is totally irresistible to me.

Evening folks (well it's evening here)! Hope everyone is having a good Friday :thumbsup: I've had a busy day in Sheffield with my AC Lambsfoot :thumbsup:

qj6NNnU.jpg
Your AC is so photogenic, Jack! :cool::thumbsup::cool: Is that the Garden of Eden?? ;)

Enjoyed using this Victorinox ALOX SAK so much doing projects on Wednesday that I decided to take it fishing with me this evening. It's a well built pocketknife that I hardly ever carry (might need to rethink that). OH
Victorinox-ALOX-Farmer-2.jpg
Be careful! You give an Alox SAK a chance, and it will steal your heart and pocket! ;):thumbsup::cool:

More heavy duty EDC tasks. :D

IMG_20190606_064936254_HDR_zpsgxzpkenj.jpg
That's about as heavy duty as my knives see as well! :rolleyes::D That Wharncliffe mini trapper is a pattern I've been eyeing for quite a while, especially single-blade CV and yellow delrin. :cool::cool::thumbsup:

I have the determination of GT ( Gary ) and fixed blades ...lol
Thanks for holding me up as an example of a man who stands by his principles (no matter how misguided :rolleyes:), but I have to admit that I've had a simple Mora fixed blade for a couple of years. :eek:o_O Let's just keep that a secret, though, OK?

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. My first peppers off my plants.

View attachment 1141012

View attachment 1141013
Did you pick a peck and pickle 'em?? ;):D

Alox of the Week is an '86 Soldier:
z7ZFKLi.jpg

non-Alox SAK this week is a Vic Camper:
4NrTokx.jpg

Bailed non-SAK this week is an Imperial BSA camp knife (thanks, Paul):
0Lzgu26.jpg

- GT

Thanks for admiring my mini copperlock, HnS. :)
That's a pair of aces you've got right there! :thumbsup::cool::cool:
Thank you.

Today is the last day for the cadet for now, but I'm just getting started with the scout.
That soldier of yours looks like a great carry, pretty much a scout with a better can opener.
Old American scouts have a timeless classic look to them, but that Victorinox can opener that can drive Philips screws and small standard screws is just so much better.

Today's haul, and tomorrow's carry. A Mike Zescherny improved trapper. I came here with the sole goal of finding an IT and found a great one. Also picked up a giraffe bone small wharncliff made by dunlap. Both came from resellers but I was able to meet with the original makers and speak about the knives. I got a good deal on them. Almost stole the dunlap! Jim told me this one was a part of a collection that a guy had him make one a year for many years but he passed away. He has another in ivory with file work back spring that I just may go pick up tomorrow. I did not win the lottery for a tony bose though. Neither did my 3 friends here with us.
551BCAD4-CDF1-4D51-A9CB-C34F15F4133E.jpeg I got to meet Tony Bose again. Also met Bubba Crouch, Luke Swenson, Mike Zescherny, Jim Dunlap, PH Jacob, Tobin Hill and many other makers and they are all top notch people. Freely giving advice to my buddy who is making now and still learning, and just super nice guys. Their wives also!

Wow! Great Real Lambfoot!
After a day of brush hogging, some of that Coopers Sheep Dip could be called for. I’ll try a shower first.
Thank you Jeff. Capitol idea opting for the shower instead of taking a Dip.:)

@kai76 Thank you kindly Nick. It’s a brand new oldie, direct from the UK. That’s a lovely one that you’re carrying today.

Jack Black Jack Black Thank you Jack. I love the old ones.

5K Qs 5K Qs Thank you Gary. Love your 86 Alox. I keep meaning to get one in orange.

Sadly, I can relate to this. When I was in 4th grade in the late-1960’s, I remember Mrs. Hodges asking us boys on the first day of school if we had a pocket knife with us. Not knowing where she was headed, I sheepishly raised my hand. Her exact reply - after ~50 years - ‘Good, every young man should always carry a pocket knife!’ Still my favorite teacher and I’ve carried a knife almost every day since. Nowadays, a kid gets suspended.
I guess we’re dating ourselves. I used to have a gun rack in the back window of my truck.
Handy for fishing rods, too!

Today's haul, and tomorrow's carry. A Mike Zescherny improved trapper. I came here with the sole goal of finding an IT and found a great one. Also picked up a giraffe bone small wharncliff made by dunlap. Both came from resellers but I was able to meet with the original makers and speak about the knives. I got a good deal on them. Almost stole the dunlap! Jim told me this one was a part of a collection that a guy had him make one a year for many years but he passed away. He has another in ivory with file work back spring that I just may go pick up tomorrow. I did not win the lottery for a tony bose though. Neither did my 3 friends here with us.
View attachment 1141094 I got to meet Tony Bose again. Also met Bubba Crouch, Luke Swenson, Mike Zescherny, Jim Dunlap, PH Jacob, Tobin Hill and many other makers and they are all top notch people. Freely giving advice to my buddy who is making now and still learning, and just super nice guys. Their wives also!

Knife lovers dream! Thanks for sharing your AAR (After Action Report).

Snagged some beauties, too!

Back