What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

myyh5dH.jpg

Yesterday and today Im carrying a Farm and Field Bullnose in red linen micarta. What a great knife! It took ages to find the one I wanted at a price I could accept but Im glad I kept up my hunt. I like sodbusters, and this one is about as good as they get I think. It cut up the breakfast my lovely wife made this morning actually. Life is good!

Fantastic to see those two together Jeff :) :thumbsup:

Thank you for the reminder Rachel, I forgot how to do that a few years back, and have been meaning to ask someone! :D Hope I remember this time! :rolleyes: Great pic there :) :thumbsup:

Delightful pair Dylan :) :thumbsup:

I can't remember the last time I saw them on sale here (though I miss a lot of stuff). I remember my dad telling me about them, and then they became available again here in the 70's. There was a popular children's programme called Crackerjack here when I was a kid :thumbsup:

Wishing everyone a very happy weekend as I step out with a Hartshead Barlow and my Abbeydale Jack :) :thumbsup:

l7IMduI.jpg

uftiEGC.jpg
Really like the heart/Barlow shot, and love the warm tones and colors of the older Sheffield. Is that a Lambsfoot?

Some great pics today folks, this thread just gets better and better :) :thumbsup:

Y’all have a great day! :D

48108035888_3f9b0dc302_b_d.jpg

Superb pic Ron :thumbsup:

Really like the heart/Barlow shot, and love the warm tones and colors of the older Sheffield. Is that a Lambsfoot?

Thank you Harvey, the heart was on a drain-cover :) I dubbed the older knife my Abbeydale Jack, it was my KOTY a few years back, used to carry it all the time. I found it in a Sheffield antiques shop, for not a lot of money. It has a largish spearpoint blade, just a great knife, but sadly there is no maker's stamp :( I took that pic on a pile of lobster pots on the shore of a small North Yorkshire fishing village called Staithes a few days after Christmas a couple of years back :) :thumbsup:

Lovely stag Dwight, I'm enjoying seeing all the Hartshead Barlow pics :) :thumbsup:

Thank you for your response, Jack. I didn’t want to call it a Lambsfoot, but wasn’t sure. With or without the tang stamp, Abbeydale is gorgeous, and captured in beautiful light.

Ham, Jam, thank you MAM! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

We just ate where the lambfoot point rests, and are headed toward that blue squiggly line about 1.5 hr west to visit an old friend.View attachment 1148596
I haven't traveled extensively in the US or abroad, but I'm actually kind of familiar with the area in your map, Jeff. I have a college buddy who has lived in Sioux Falls for years, and I've visited him a couple of times. One summer, my wife, daughter, and I did an impromptu Laura Ingalls Wilder road trip and spent time in De Smet (northwest of your lambsfoot tip), stayed in a motel in Worthington, MN (just east of your knife), and stayed in Spring Valley, MN (on eastern edge of your map) where Almanzo Wilder and the founder of Sears both grew up. Do you plan to drive by the Corn Palace in Mitchell SD?

These two for me today, Happy Friday!

qBeRsVc.jpg
Distinguished duo, Tom. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I saw that Pujols got a very warm welcome last night when he returned to St. Louis for the first time since moving to the Angels. :)

I'm joining some buddies for sporting clays tomorrow (a morning of frustration and shame), so I'm going to be totin' this Weidmannsheil bottle/shell puller knife, both for Stagurday sake and as a conversation piece: it has 12 and 16 gauge shot shell pullers for guards at the bolster. Our guns are either semi-autos or O/Us with extractors/ejectors, but it should be fun to see who knows what they are. It does have a cork puller, too, so . . And I'll have a Vic Electrician for nipping cigars.

yb1K5eU.jpg

ls55CcY.jpg

- Stuart
Your stag Weidmannshell is very distinctive, Stuart! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Utica Jack today
uLKzPYIh.jpg
Your Utica is utterly handsome, Steve! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

That's a great description, GT. ...
Much obliged, John. :)

The little brass one was a birthday gift from my grandmother back in January.
The tortoise shell looking one is an old solingin made Swanworks from a lot of knives I recently bought off eBay.
Thanks for the info; very cool little knives! :):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nice trio GT !
I appreciate the support, Steve. :)

Today with two beautiful stag knives, A. Wright & Son and Case mini trapper.:):thumbsup:

4t34wh.jpg
34fh5ys.jpg
Couple of capital stag knives, José! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

That Case is a sweetie, GT.
Grateful for the comment, Harvey. :)

Thank you, Gary. I was inspired by someone.

Gary, I might be the outlier of comments for the knives you posted, but that Carhartt wharncliffe really looks like a great user (and not bad looking either). :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks for your remarks, Dean. :)

RALF has a stellar new partner, Jeff! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

First, type the "meaningful phrase". Then highlight it, and click on the icon above your reply window that looks like a couple of chain links (just to the right of the A) a window will pop up with a place to paste in a url.
Like this.
Lambsfoot in horn in the sun:
mt2rS3o.jpg
I'm grateful for your clear instructions, Rachel; they even make logical sense to me! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Whenever I see that fireball hurtling toward the bolster of your horn lambsfoot, I feel the need, the need for speed! :rolleyes::cool::thumbsup:

My favorite part was the peanuts, which settled in the bottom of the box. Best for last! ...
I'm with you on the peanuts, Vince. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Shortly after I received my AC lambsfoot, I bought a 3-pack of Cracker Jack for photo purposes. One of the boxes had TWO peanuts in it!!! :eek::mad::thumbsdown:

Thank you, fellas, for the compliments. I've eschewed a Barlow for today and went with a worthy replacement, I think.

3XbELKX.jpg
I'd take an EO teardrop jack over a Barlow any day of the week, Dylan (especially if it were a 2-blade model)! ;):thumbsup::cool:

5K Qs 5K Qs Those great old memories; thanks GT! You have an excellent blade assortment in today's terrific trifecta!:cool:

I saw something that reminded me of strawberries, so I am going with these two Robeson Jacks (both English) today :D
Thanks for the nod to my knives, JJ :); I wish I were more intentional about going for blade diversity when I put together my rotation schedule. :rolleyes:
Nice strawberry pair! :cool::cool::thumbsup: (I've had NO fresh strawberries this season so far! :eek::()

Wishing everyone a very happy weekend as I step out with a Hartshead Barlow and my Abbeydale Jack :) :thumbsup:
uftiEGC.jpg
Superb pair, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::cool: The Abbeydale Jack and your "inner glow" oxhorn are still perhaps my favorites from your collection. :)

Was that movie called 1944, where Christopher Lee's Germans had sold Toshiro Mifune's Japanese a submarine with a defective compass, and somehow they caught Slim Pickens, who swallowed the compass out of the Cracker Jacks before the Japanese could use it?
John Belushi shoots down Tim Matheson, who was only pretending to be a pilot so that Nancy Allen would consort with him. Larraine Gary and Ned Beatty. Cameo by Robert Stack.

Scary. I saw that movie once in the early 80s.

You guys are getting off topic.

Going a little lighter today:
drxe1vh.jpg
Sounds like the movie you've described has almost the same cast as Animal House, although I always get Karen and Nancy Allen mixed up.
The magnifier on your SAK reminds me of one of my favorite Cracker Jack prizes, the plastic magnifying glass. :thumbsup::cool:

Y’all have a great day! :D

48108035888_3f9b0dc302_b_d.jpg
Wright's Hartshead Barlow for me too.
Your stag Hartshead Barlows both bark with the big dogs, Ron & John! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

- GT

Jeff, I've been hunting pheasants a couple miles NW of Gann Valley for the past 15 years. Nice country out there. Travel safely. Check out the Turtle Creek bar in Miller.

- Stuart

Stu, you’re right. Nice country/nice people.
I think you’re hunting a bit west of where we are, but I do like it out here. Very country, much beautiful.:D
We drove Vik’s 90 year old aunt from her farm south of Sioux Falls out to Wagner, which is about 50 mi s. of Mitchell to visit an old friend in a nursing home and stop by the cemetery.

I don’t know if it’s going to affect this year’s pheasant hunting, but the crops are going to be really bad this year. On our aunt’s farm, two of her three fields will not be planted at all ~ too wet, and a big deciding factor is that after a certain date, you can’t get crop insurance. With the price of seed, fertilizer, and fuel on the line, and the late date, they are just not planting at all this year.
If I can get it to upload, here’s a photo of her only field to get planted. Beans are only 3 or 4 inches tall. Too late for corn because it simply may not mature or dry before winter.78AB875A-71A0-4CC5-8F8B-4A09010288C0.jpegAnyway, back on topic.
Gotta carry stag on Saturday, even if it’s smooth, polished elk. I really like the feel of the smooth elk in hand. And my old lump, aka: Vic Champion at the farm.C04A44C5-663F-4FBE-986D-57A0BDF3CD6E.jpegE9639F06-8CDF-4E18-9F25-B68FEDD73292.jpeg

I haven't traveled extensively in the US or abroad, but I'm actually kind of familiar with the area in your map, Jeff. I have a college buddy who has lived in Sioux Falls for years, and I've visited him a couple of times. One summer, my wife, daughter, and I did an impromptu Laura Ingalls Wilder road trip and spent time in De Smet (northwest of your lambsfoot tip), stayed in a motel in Worthington, MN (just east of your knife), and stayed in Spring Valley, MN (on eastern edge of your map) where Almanzo Wilder and the founder of Sears both grew up. Do you plan to drive by the Corn Palace in Mitchell SD?
- GT

It is a really nice area, GT. And I must say, I’m blessed to have married into a super nice, down home family.

We got within 50 mile of Mitchell, and it’s corn monstrosity. I must admit to being a little strange. I’d rather drive 60 miles out of my way on a mud road than go see a tourist trap. What I love the most about traveling is the country back roads, and the city alleys.

Last edited:
Jeff, I whole-heartedly agree with you about "feeling" the countryside and the back roads, but the Corn Palace was truly fascinating to me when I finally saw it a couple years ago. It's just so unique, nothing like it anywhere else in the world.

Back