What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Besides my ubiquitous alox Cadet, I'm totin' RALF this morning, and my 1999 S&M stockman when I go out to work.

View attachment 1150897

PJeV9zY.jpg

Outrageously good knives Jeff :thumbsup:

You're still working? Thought you'd retired? If I ever do I'll not be working a day more;):cool::D

Regards, Will

Thought you'd retired? If I ever do I'll not be working a day more

Yes, part time, and with no choice in the matter. A month after I retired my wife's health turned so bad that she had to quit work and file for disability, but it takes forever to get. Bills still need to be paid.

A fantastic gift from my good Mate Duncan:thumbsup:
Such amazing jigging:cool:
YsGEOh.jpg

Now he didn't just gift me one of Charlie's wonderful SFO's but threw in the ebony as well:eek::)
DzYw4d.jpg

and.......his generosity does not end there, soon to arrive are two of Jacks wonderful knives, one Stag Hartshead Barlow and a Ironwood Lambfoot:eek:

Duncan's generosity is LEGENDARY:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

YsGEOh.jpg

Now he didn't just gift me one of Charlie's wonderful SFO's but threw in the ebony as well:eek::)
DzYw4d.jpg

and.......his generosity does not end there, soon to arrive are two of Jacks wonderful knives, one Stag Hartshead Barlow and a Ironwood Lambfoot:eek:

Oh my Paul! That is outstanding! You two are mighty good to each other!!!! :) Gorgeous cutlery my friend.

Regarding the Case lg Stockman, and veteran users, I agree. Last Christmas, I received a gift certificate from a big sporting goods chain. I had hopes of buying that knife, but discovered they only carry the medium.

Regarding old users, well done sharpening and repairs tell a story and reflect well on the original owner. It makes me wish I could sit and visit with them.

Conversely, broken blades and blades “sharpened” on a bench grinder are just sad to see.

Yes that Jumbo Case is definitely a great working knife. I smile every time I open that big ol’ meat cleaver of a sheepfoot blade.:cool::)

While that Mulberry knife was definitely worked hard during it’s life, one of the other knives Jack gifted me in Sheffield, was a William Rodgers ‘I Cut My Way’ penknife. The blades have also been sharpened to toothpicks, but so carefully and well ground, that I always wonder about the previous owner who looked after it so well.

This Richartz, which a friend found in a ‘trash ’n’ treasure’ market and bought for me, is one of the few knives, I’ve been glad to see with a big chip out of the blade.:eek:

fxP9voW.jpg

The proud owner of the shiny new knife must have gone to use the blade to pry out a nail and heard the dreaded ‘tink’.

BTCTemS.jpg

End result being I get to examine an old Solingen knife with a factory edge, which was never sharpened after it was sold.

The thickness behind the edge is 0.009”. That’s less than half the edge thickness of most modern pocketknives.:thumbsup:

Happy memories indeed my friend :) They certainly didn't throw much away back then did they? :) I think they'd think of us as crazy! :rolleyes: So you're not the only smart one in the family? Your brother has a good memory :) Thank you very much Chin :) :thumbsup:

I thought you'd enjoy this pic :eek: ;) :D :thumbsup:

jUpkSRg.jpg

Thanks mate. Definitely!

Cool pic. I see the Wright Senator in the foreground but I don’t recognise the pattern of the knives in construction. The bolsters look like a clasp knife style. Interesting that they use actual nails still for the ‘iron’ pins. Those checkered covers are very cool.

I’m guessing it’s work-in-progress at Wright’s, but it’s not Stan Shaw’s bench possibly, is it?

Trying to get this beauty out in the world more often.
View attachment 1151447

A beauty indeed, thanks for showing it.:thumbsup:

So fine, Harvey. The knife and the photography.:thumbsup:

I try to steer clear of suits now. I wore one everyday for way too many years. Now, as you mentioned, it's weddings, funerals and the rare occasion my better half won't let me get away with a sport coat and jeans.

Note to self: steer clear of Osh Kosh overalls too!:D

Yes I’m the same Gary. Funnily enough, the last time I had to pull out one of my suits for a funeral, I noted they all had wear marks through the left front pants pocket, from the ring of the Opinel No. 7 I used to EDC in those days.;)

Complete change today, switched to a big SAK as well the Rodgers.
Disclaimer: dust from myjacket pockets:(
UECwjF.jpg

Another cool knife Mitch, I hadn’t seen one of those JR Biltong knives before.:cool:

YsGEOh.jpg

DzYw4d.jpg

Great knives Paul! That Duncan’s a top bloke, eh?

@Campbellclanman - Well done mate!

If I ever leave a worn old toothpick of a pocketknife behind, I guess it’ll be this one, eventually...;)

LrTpYEh.jpg

Last edited:
Yes that Jumbo Case is definitely a great working knife. I smile every time I open that big ol’ meat cleaver of a sheepfoot blade.:cool::)

This Richartz, which a friend found in a ‘trash ’n’ treasure’ market and bought for me, is one of the few knives, I’ve been glad to see with a big chip out of the blade.:eek:

fxP9voW.jpg

The proud new owner of the shiny new knife must have gone to use the blade to pry out a nail and heard the dreaded ‘tink’.

BTCTemS.jpg

End result being I get to examine an old Solingen knife with a factory edge, which was never sharpened after it was sold.

The thickness behind the edge is 0.009”. That’s less than half the edge thickness of most modern pocketknives.:thumbsup:

Thanks mate. Definitely!

Cool pic. I see the Wright Senator in the foreground but I don’t recognise the pattern of the knives in construction. The bolsters look like a clasp knife style. Interesting that they use actual nails still for the ‘iron’ pins. Those checkered covers are very cool.

I’m guessing it’s work-in-progress at Wright’s, but it’s not Stan Shaw’s bench possibly, is it?

A beauty indeed, thanks for showing it.:thumbsup:

So fine, Harvey. The knife and the photography.:thumbsup:

Yes I’m the same Gary. Funnily enough, the last time I had to pull out one of my suits for a funeral, I noted they all had wear marks through the left pocket, from the ring of the Opinel No. 7 I used to EDC in those days.;)

Another cool knife Mitch, I hadn’t seen one of those JR Biltong knives before.:cool:

Great knives Paul! That Duncan’s a top bloke, eh?

@Campbellclanman - Well done mate!

If I ever leave a worn old toothpick of a pocketknife behind, I guess it’ll be this one, eventually...;)

LrTpYEh.jpg
A nice character mark in that Richartz;)
The sheepsfoot on the stockman is not a subtle blade but works good.
I don't know any other JR biltong owners. It's a handy little knife.
Cheers
Mitch

Back