What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Had to kind of rush to get the lawn mowed before the rain and have these in my pockets .

I am very happy with the fairly close color match .

Harry
I can almost taste the Brats my friend! ;) Your backyard is looking great Harry! :thumbsup: That pair of 93’s is not to bad either! They are sure to be classics for many years to come! We’ll see you guys soon! :D

Sunday best today...

Tozaki.jpg
Simply Beautiful Paul! :thumbsup: :D

I’ve got this ole gentleman with me today! I hope everyone has a blessed day! :)

35858019270_36a451b695_b_d.jpg

Very cool pic Vince :D :thumbsup:

Oh boy! It's hot outside!
SWMBO decided this was a good day to run to Costco and pick up some metal shelves that are on sale. Oh, but then we unload them from the car into the tractor wagon, haul them around back to the lower entrance and put it all inside.....
Those beauties didn't cool me off one bit! I'll bet a cold beer will though...

I see what you did there!:D:thumbsup:
Awesome pic!

Hope you enjoyed your beer Gary, I might try out your theory later ;) :thumbsup:

I think the secret of their accuracy is the 1.5" tip-up unrifled barrel.
Thanks- my nicest lambsfoot, with ebony so fine-grained and well-fitted it feels like glass.

I had a variant with a 4" barrel and it was worse, so I put a 10" section of rifled Daisy barrel in it with no real improvement.
Even with the same pellet the particular barrel loved when the gun I cut it from had still worked.

Anyways, I'm not much of a lambs foot kind of guy but that is one I could see myself owning.

Searching for a Great Eastern Cutlery #35 Churchill, I thought it would be a long time before I found a Tidioute version on the secondary market. I did find, languishing on a dealer’s shelf a new Tidioute #66 Calf Roper in ebony, so I grabbed it while the grabbing was good. Of course, I found a Tidioute Churchill the next day. Being now wiser in the ways of Great Eastern Cutlery knives, I bought it too.

To my mind, these are two outstanding examples of traditional user knives, which is why I wanted them originally. And they are. The surprise was that the smaller, wider Calf Roper is my favorite of the the two. I had expected the Churchill would be my go-to carry knife of the two. This shows once again that a knife can’t be realistically evaluated in terms of how it will or will not suit you until you get one in hand and use it for a while.

From photos and online speculation, I was convinced that the closed blade configuration of the 66 would be both wonky and somewhat uncomfortable when one blade was open for use, but not so. I suppose it is the size of the handle, the slight serpentine bend and the positioning of the closed blades relative the the open one that make it just fine. All of this is of course due to Bill Howard’s uncanny design expertise.

The Churchill is a fine knife, and I really like it, don’t get me wrong. It will have its share of pocket and use time for sure. It is just bigger in almost every way (sheep foot excepted, probably) than the Calf Roper. Not much bigger but the difference is noticeable, not something I expected. Even so, to my feel, they both weigh so much the same that weight isn’t a factor.

Most of my other Great Eastern Cutlery knives don’t see much use so I plan to move them along and stick with my one “collector” piece, and three or so users.

I would recommend both the 66 and the 35 to anyone looking for an excellent traditional user pocket knife. I know I’m happy.
img_7402-1.jpg

Off to church with both.

Searching for a Great Eastern Cutlery #35 Churchill, I thought it would be a long time before I found a Tidioute version on the secondary market. I did find, languishing on a dealer’s shelf a new Tidioute #66 Calf Roper in ebony, so I grabbed it while the grabbing was good. Of course, I found a Tidioute Churchill the next day. Being now wiser in the ways of Great Eastern Cutlery knives, I bought it too.

To my mind, these are two outstanding examples of traditional user knives, which is why I wanted them originally. And they are. The surprise was that the smaller, wider Calf Roper is my favorite of the the two. I had expected the Churchill would be my go-to carry knife of the two. This shows once again that a knife can’t be realistically evaluated in terms of how it will or will not suit you until you get one in hand and use it for a while.

From photos and online speculation, I was convinced that the closed blade configuration of the 66 would be both wonky and somewhat uncomfortable when one blade was open for use, but not so. I suppose it is the size of the handle, the slight serpentine bend and the positioning of the closed blades relative the the open one that make it just fine. All of this is of course due to Bill Howard’s uncanny design expertise.

The Churchill is a fine knife, and I really like it, don’t get me wrong. It will have its share of pocket and use time for sure. It is just bigger in almost every way (sheep foot excepted, probably) than the Calf Roper. Not much bigger but the difference is noticeable, not something I expected. Even so, to my feel, they both weigh so much the same that weight isn’t a factor.

Most of my other Great Eastern Cutlery knives don’t see much use so I plan to move them along and stick with my one “collector” piece, and three or so users.

I would recommend both the 66 and the 35 to anyone looking for an excellent traditional user pocket knife. I know I’m happy.
img_7402-1.jpg

Off to church with both.
Nice comparison post. Thanks. :cool::thumbsup:

Back