1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 33 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Boker Urban Trapper 732 , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Apr 8, 2008.

1. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Tell me again why I've spent thousands on higher end productions and customs? Lol. 20190722_093236-768x810.jpg

2. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Aristocratic, John!

Black and white bonus, Steve!

"Keep smiling until then", Dean. :)

Commendable whittler, Dean! (I'm surprised that the blades are all so similar in shape.)

Dapper knife (and deceitful pen), Harvey! Looking forward to seeing your sowbelly stock knives; I hope you'll like them.

Thanks for the info; it's eerie (or maybe I'm just elderly) that I don't even remember seeing it before.

Thanks for the favorable first-hand update, Ron!

I'm grateful for your thoughtful comment, Jeff! Your big Sabre looks to be in finer fettle than mine.

I'm honored and happy to read your reaction, @TheFactor!

Jeff, you're confused, but understandably so! Last week, I carried Union Jack a lambsfoot with stripes on its rosewood handle. This week I'm carrying Valley Jack, another lambsfoot with stripes on ironwood.
    I agree that the Case Swayback Jack is impressive. It's smaller than I expected, and I'm still worried about using the Wharncliffe blade in a way that puts the tip at risk, but it sure is a fine 2-blade jack with jigging that knocks me out!

Thanks for your positive comments, JJ, and for the helpful info about the "Be Prepared" shield!

Laudable pair, JJ! Cool covers on the sowbelly; celluloid?

Opulent Osage Orange, Dave!

Case Barlow Bone Bonanza, @Leslie Tomville!

Memorable and meritorious, Jeff!

Thanks, Mark. I think it's notable that there are several quite different "looks" to those ironwood lambsfoot knives, but every type turns out to photograph well!

Paragon of pulchritude, Steve!!

Rack 'em, Rachel!

Thanks, John.
    The quintessential great shots of Lambsfoot knives are the pics you've posted of your ebony Waynorth Cutlery version!

Stupendous pair, Tom! Is that ram's horn on the Lionsteel? Striking!

Terrific and timely pic and caption, Vince!

IMHO, a couple of the most unforgettable pattern GEC has offered over the past few years, Ron!

- GT

Duckdog, JJ Cahill, TFBraden and 12 others like this.
  3. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    The stitches on that SAK are so vivid, Vince!

They make a world-class pair, Harry! (Do you still use your clotheslines? I quit using mine about 5 years ago. :()

Thanks, Nick. That's a zesty old congress!!

That scout knife will set off some yearning!

I'm certainly appreciating that arresting stag 25, @Travman!

Functionally formidable pair, Jack!

Accolades on the AC, Dwight!

Thanks for the review of those two praiseworthy patterns, @Mayonardo!

Colorful shot of your Ancient TC, Harvey!

Slim and sublime, too, Dean!

- GT

Duckdog, JJ Cahill, TFBraden and 12 others like this.
  4. JaxBaron

JaxBaron Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Nice Fatboy DelOro! The gunstock is not to shabby either.

DelOro likes this.
  5. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    :D It does make a nice knife stand, doesn't it?
    [​IMG]

6. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    A question for the ages, Alan.
    I wish I had the answer...
    [​IMG]

Dschal, Pomsbz, JOELSM and 25 others like this.
  7. Leslie Tomville

Leslie Tomville Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2016
    E4FE8F19-5EFA-4E3E-A9B2-A0EF20E7CDE0.jpeg 07C1EA8C-A169-44F6-BFDE-85708B3AE35E.jpeg 844F2440-2887-4B3E-B8DF-EB9E561F52D8.jpeg

This might be my last chance to show you this knife, because my collection is getting out of hand. Gene Wiseman makes a perfect knife. I would not change a single thing.

Dschal, Pomsbz, JOELSM and 29 others like this.
  8. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    I like it Dan. :D

I don't believe there is a more photogenic knife than these ancients. Very nicely done Harvey.

Mine two guys. One of a kind.

Exceptional photo. Stunning.

:D

Duckdog, TFBraden, Travman and 6 others like this.
  9. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    There's too many knives to keep up with and I haven't carried it in at least two months probably.
    But on the other hand it might be the only one on the forum, even though the hardware chain seems to have been offering them up till Camillus closed it's doors.

Onebigbill likes this.
  10. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Terrific image Vince!

Thank you GT.

Have a great week folks
    fullsizeoutput_1e92.jpeg

11. microbe

microbe

Apr 6, 2016
    [​IMG]

12. Amir Fleschwund

Amir Fleschwund Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Perhaps it’s as simple as having the available $. The same logic in the inverse certainly explains my knife collection.:D

But with that sturdy and functional pair, you won’t need to baby them.:thumbsup:

13. joeradza

Feb 6, 2014
    The Douk-Douk has actually been abused at times just to prove a point. Like swimming in the salty Gulf, etc. It's an amazing knife.

14. Frailer

Frailer Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    An excellent question.

Last week I found myself one mouse-click away from purchasing a $400 production knife. It was beautiful, but it knew that due to its size and blade configuration it would never (or almost never) see any pocket time. Still...I wanted it.

In the end I was able to resist the temptation, but it was harder than it should have been.

I’ll continue to be seduced by fine knives produced by talented individual craftsmen, and I may even succumb to temptation on occasion. Nevertheless, there is much to be said for the knives produced in factories these days.

Today I’m carrying a 2018 Case Doctor’s knife. It’s not perfect, but I think it has a certain charm. It rides easy in my pocket, and I feel confident that it will do whatever I ask of it.

19854536-CC34-47F3-A725-202F8D397931.jpeg

15. Amir Fleschwund

Amir Fleschwund Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2008
    @5K Qs ~ sorry, I meant to reply to your straw hat questions...
    Durability? You get what you pay for. Find one expertly hand woven, and it should last for years. Buy a cheap machine made one from the display next to the pool noodles and flip flops at the Stuffmart, and it might make it through your vacation.

I bought this one at a little street vendor’s booth in a small Mexican town ten or eleven years ago.

Having had a bit of basal cell carcinoma cut off my nose before, I am a lot more careful nowadays. This keeps the sun off my ears and neck, which a baseball cap fails to do. The vent holes help with airflow, and on really hot days, I soak it with water, and the evaporative cooling effect helps. C310059E-F317-4E7B-A474-4B808972D680.jpeg The under the chin strap saves it from getting knocked off by low hanging brush. A hat never looks the same after you run over it with the brush hog.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  16. joeradza

Feb 6, 2014
    @Peregrin @Frailer @Amir Fleschwund
    It was as much a rhetorical question as my being truly serious. It really has a simple answer. We've been seduced and we are confirmed knife knuts. We all cheap out on some things and splurge on others. As Amir said it sometimes has to do with extra $$.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  17. Whetstone39

Whetstone39 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Thanks GT! Yes, ram's horn, the model is the Bolus from CollectorKnives. Matching scales as well, I am really happy with it :).

These two today.

[​IMG]

Dschal, Pomsbz, JOELSM and 18 others like this.
  18. dc50

dc50 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Thanks, GT! :thumbsup::)

19. SteveC

SteveC Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Harness Jack and a Cattle knife today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    @Foddering - Thank you Dwight. Yeah...These Ancients are great. So is your Sambar Dami Lamb.

@5K Qs Thank you GT. After seeing your Rough Rider collection, repeatedly, I just had to check it out, I can see why your so smitten. I am too.:) Thank you.

Rough Rider “Bolster Stripes with Peach Seed Bone.”
    [​IMG]

Dschal, Duckdog, JJ Cahill and 17 others like this.