What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Today's carry. Stag handled Boker Double Tree Congress. First Congress I've ever owned, what a cool pattern. A sheepsfoot blade was slicing a letter open this morning before 06:00. Strong snap and half stops. Those bolsters are NOT easy to Flitz! Hoping life calms down soon and I can go back and see all the great knives I've missed.

20190723_072355.jpg

It’s been a busy morning! Hope y’all have a great day! :) :thumbsup:

48220200562_a1967abcf7_b_d.jpg
Ron, when you’re busy, and have a head full of chores that need doing, that’s when ya know you’re retired!
Keepin busy keeps you young and spry.

Feeling spry yet?

You’re correct and thank you! I saw your knife and was going to ask who made it but forgot. Don’t usually see too many Robeson’s covered in stag, nice one!

Miller Bro’s boys knife today.
You have some very special knives, but to me, your Miller jack is more specialer!
Thanks for the view.

It being Tuesday and all, I feel trapped into totin' this Camillus #29:

cP5jVrF.jpg

CvLE8TJ.jpg

- Stuart
Well, look who’s back!

Camillus 29s have such great swedges on the clip. That’s a dandy.

When do we get the fishing report, Stuart?

Thanks, and nice old boys knife as well! To be frank, mine was rehandled by glenbad this past winter. It had black jigged composite scales originally.
Glenbad did a great job!:thumbsup:

You have some very special knives, but to me, your Miller jack is more specialer!
Thanks for the view.
Thank you! It is a special one that I’m not afraid of using or having to baby it. It’s previous owner sure did know how to sharpen a knife the right way and never abused it. Blade is tight and still has strong crispy snaps. Your 43 is looking better and better with use! The Schrade 881 is a great knife and I need to stop neglecting mine.

How old is that black walnut tree? So cool that you grew it from seed!

There's too many knives to keep up with and I haven't carried it in at least two months probably.
But on the other hand it might be the only one on the forum, even though the hardware chain seems to have been offering them up till Camillus closed it's doors.
I try to keep track of the cool metal knives, if I can. ;)

Rara Avis, Dwight! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

5K Qs 5K Qs ~ sorry, I meant to reply to your straw hat questions...
Durability? You get what you pay for. Find one expertly hand woven, and it should last for years. Buy a cheap machine made one from the display next to the pool noodles and flip flops at the Stuffmart, and it might make it through your vacation.

I bought this one at a little street vendor’s booth in a small Mexican town ten or eleven years ago.

Having had a bit of basal cell carcinoma cut off my nose before, I am a lot more careful nowadays. This keeps the sun off my ears and neck, which a baseball cap fails to do. The vent holes help with airflow, and on really hot days, I soak it with water, and the evaporative cooling effect helps.View attachment 1166133The under the chin strap saves it from getting knocked off by low hanging brush. A hat never looks the same after you run over it with the brush hog.
Thanks for the hat info and advice, Jeff. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I'd probably get one with the chin strap even though I never pull a brush hog. ;) If I could find a hat that would last 10-12 years, that's close to a lifetime guarantee! :rolleyes:

Thanks GT! Yes, ram's horn, the model is the Bolus from CollectorKnives. Matching scales as well, I am really happy with it :).

These two today.

nlzPEvz.jpg
Thanks for the confirmation, Tom. :) That scout is special! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Harness Jack and a Cattle knife today
kuVzHwg.jpg
Consummate jigging on your cattle knife, Steve; I could look at that until the cows come home! ;):cool::cool:

5K Qs 5K Qs Thank you GT. After seeing your Rough Rider collection, repeatedly, I just had to check it out, I can see why your so smitten. I am too.:) Thank you.

Rough Rider “Bolster Stripes with Peach Seed Bone.”
BE7838C0-605C-4BDE-BDE3-6FEE85B67DA0_zpsnhe0asrz.jpeg
Dynamite pic of that RR, Harvey! :cool::cool::thumbsup: I have a canoe (big surprise :rolleyes:) "dressed" that way; for me the striped bolsters are too "busy", but the jigging more than makes up for it!!

Birthday carry!!!
56qob1R.jpg
Exquisite birthday pair, Taylor! :thumbsup::cool::cool: The knives alone should make your birthday pretty happy! :)

Thank you, Gary. It is slightly smaller in every dimension (including the fourth ;)) from the Mini Copperhead.
I really enjoyed the 4-D comment since I'm on a science fiction reading kick this summer. ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

My newest acquisition, a Case Medium Stockman, 3 7/8 inches. This is a comfortable carry even at its almost large size.

Is that the 6347 with 3 springs, no krinking? I have a couple of those and think it's a very nice size. Why Case calls it "medium" is quite a mystery to me. I was looking at the large variety of Case "medium" stock knives last night and trying to identify the "defining characteristics" of each: length, shape, bolster shape, blade combos. I don't actually own one, but I'm quite sure my favorite would be the 18 pattern.

I started out carrying my Ashley's Choice Lambsfoot, but then a gift package turned up from Mr @paulhilborn :) Along with the amazing sheep's head was a 4-line Camillus Easy-Open Jack, which went straight in my pocket :) Many thanks Paul :) :thumbsup:

MsszWDt.jpg
Paul is legendary for his generosity with good reason! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Congrats on the sheep head and the bailed EO teardrop jack, Jack! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: In the culture in which I was raised, that pattern is certainly an iconic pocket knife!

these two today, albeit the Ablett gently. loving the Red Trout CSC-Co-Op. have a great week BF friends!
View attachment 1166202
That's a pair that most of us don't have, but I'll bet many of us wish we did! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Happy Monday, folks.

ejiEEPA.jpg
Achingly attractive, Dylan! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Took my last trip to the Bay Area. :mad:
But my son is home now until he starts college.
I Toted these two for the trip, they make a handsome and handy pair I think. :cool::thumbsup:
Very classy pair of knives, John! :thumbsup::cool::cool: I really like a swayback handle with a straight-edge blade from an ergonomics perspective.

Thanks GT. Yea our rosewoods could almost be twins.
Thanks for the confirmation. :)

That knife you made looks good, Jer! :cool::thumbsup::cool: How did you make the "studs" on the sheath?

Your Old Cross red Pioneer is such a grail, Gary! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I also remember Rack-O; it was one of my favorite games in my youth. It's odd how something that was such a part of my life is nothing more than a pleasant memory for me now.
Thanks, Dean. :) I was surprised that once I found that Old Cross Pioneer, another knife moved in as "current grail". I had expected once I "scratched the itch", I'd relax for a while, but that's not how it has worked for me. :(
Rack-O was probably one of the first card games I played for which strategy was beneficial; I think that was the appeal for me.

Today with A. Wright & Son, Hartshead Barlow in stag!;):thumbsup:

2mgqrd4.jpg
I like that photo, José; is that a cup made of wood? :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thank you very much my friend !!!
Yes we do .
Harry
Thanks for the clothesline confirmation, Harry. Our lines were under a massive oak tree, so they weren't maximally efficient because of shade, and the bird poop on clean laundry was frustrating! :rolleyes:

This one for the afternoon. Justius BierhoffView attachment 1166330
View attachment 1166335
Dwight, I certainly admire your cast metal knives! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: It can't be due to nostalgia, since I never saw knives like that when I was young. Maybe I'm just awed by the detail and craftsmanship.

- GT

Thanks Gary! :) Both of the classics have very nice Jet Black Ebony! Your Old Cross Pioneer is a very desirable SAK! :thumbsup: A classic! :)
Thanks, Ron. :) That Pioneer is certainly one of my most satisfying finds so far.

For the fourth July 22nd in a row, I'm carrying this Nifebrite #71 Bull Nose.

j9KHHf6.jpg

Three years ago, I had this knife in my pocket when our daughter, Eleanor, was born.

NaAScxK.jpg

Since then, it's been my go-to carry for her birthday and any other special milestones. I've made a point to get a picture of her with the knife every year on her birthday, and I enjoy getting to share them with you all.

Here she was on her first birthday:

c1PI0le.jpg

And last year on her second:

6nP6c53.jpg

And here she is holding her knife today:

OZcyecw.jpg
Happy Birthday to Eleanor! :cool::thumbsup::) Thanks for sharing that tremendous tradition with us, Barrett!

Thank you! The covers on the Sowbelly are Abalone; reminds me of my underwater adventures.:eek:
Thanks again Gary! You have quite a cool line up this week; love the look of your vintage Alox!:thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
Abalone covers for your sowbelly is impressive, as is the thought of "underwater adventures"! :):thumbsup::cool: I think my only underwater adventures occur in the shower. :rolleyes:
Thanks for the compliments on my knives, JJ. :)

a361mRl.jpg
A case large stockman.
Hey! Congrats on getting a photo posted, @cudgee! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::)

I thought I'd give a nod to Queen Cutlery with two for Tuesday; the Large Gunstock Stockman and the Barlow, both from Schatt & Morgan.:)
That gunstock with the stockman blade combo is an interesting twist! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Morning folks, hope everyone's week is off to a good start :) Carrying these two today :thumbsup:

R1WTcbK.jpg

PL4mblD.jpg
Premium pair, Jack! :cool::cool::thumbsup: The SamDamLamb is triply desirable, and I like the looks of almost every version of that GEC #38 frame.

Another striking 25, Trav! :thumbsup::cool::cool: Ebony or Horn?

More of my carries for this week follow.
Stockman of the Week is a Case stainless humpback stockman in pocket worn harvest orange:
hump.pile.3open.sill.jpg

"Plain Canoe" of the Week is a Rough Rider Christmas canoe (Christmas in July, I guess):
canoe.christmas.mark.2open.jpg

"Fancy Canoe" of the Week is a Rough Rider stag model:
stag.canoe.mark.1open.jpg

- GT

Thanks, Ron. :) That Pioneer is certainly one of my most satisfying finds so far.

Happy Birthday to Eleanor! :cool::thumbsup::) Thanks for sharing that tremendous tradition with us, Barrett!

Abalone covers for your sowbelly is impressive, as is the thought of "underwater adventures"! :):thumbsup::cool: I think my only underwater adventures occur in the shower. :rolleyes:
Thanks for the compliments on my knives, JJ. :)

Hey! Congrats on getting a photo posted, @cudgee! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::)

That gunstock with the stockman blade combo is an interesting twist! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Premium pair, Jack! :cool::cool::thumbsup: The SamDamLamb is triply desirable, and I like the looks of almost every version of that GEC #38 frame.

Another striking 25, Trav! :thumbsup::cool::cool: Ebony or Horn?

More of my carries for this week follow.
Stockman of the Week is a Case stainless humpback stockman in pocket worn harvest orange:
View attachment 1166836

"Plain Canoe" of the Week is a Rough Rider Christmas canoe (Christmas in July, I guess):
View attachment 1166839

"Fancy Canoe" of the Week is a Rough Rider stag model:
View attachment 1166840

- GT
Thank you G.T. I also got a “glow in the dark” canoe which I’ll show later in the week. Love both RR canoes and the Case Stockman.

Ron, that's a stunning pair!
Thanks Jeff! :) :thumbsup:

Ron, when you’re busy, and have a head full of chores that need doing, that’s when ya know you’re retired!
Keepin busy keeps you young and spry.

Feeling spry yet?
Jeff, we just got back from the Y. I’ve got to mow my lawn but it’s still wet so that’s going to be first thing tomorrow! Spry? If that’s when you feel like your backside is dragging your tracks out, I’m feeling really spry! :eek: :D

That knife you made looks good, Jer! :cool::thumbsup::cool: How did you make the "studs" on the sheath?
Thank you.
I bought a cheap old Chinese knife that was in the sheath, to get the sheath. It happens to work well with this knife, so I didn't have to make one. If the blade gets rusty, we'll know I was wrong about the material being fake leather.

Back