What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Have a good one!
Cramer LC Jr. today.
zRF501M.jpg

Now, who do I know that's heading to Czechoslovakia? :p

Yes, indeed. Only doctor Who, or maybe Marty McFly can travel to Czechoslovakia, as it requires not only travel through space, but as well travel at least 27 years back in time. Czechoslovakia is no more. :p

Bareš is focusing mostly on hunting fixblades and folders, and quite frankly, I do not like their looks. But this particular model, both design and name, is a nod to the legacy of the Rebec family of cutlers, who had their shop in Sedlčany. Their cutler tradition dates back to napoleonic wars, when Rebec worked as an armourer before passing the craft down 4 generations. In 1920´s or 1930´s they had very popular folder nicknamed Rebec or Rebčák, that was reportedly in pocket of every butcher, fisherman, farmer and boy:

rebec.jpg

There were 4 brothers in the last generation, one of them was executed with his wife by occupying nazis for aiding the Anthropoid commando, that carried out assasination of Heydrich - main architect of the holocaust. It is heartbreaking to read the words he managed to smuggle out of the prison written on a toilet paper informing his 8 year old son that they are in the place very few return from and instructing him to stay strong, keep his head up, take care of his 2 years old sister, to behave well and study hard to become a good cutler one day. "It´s war and that requires sacrifices" he wrote, "how could we demand to be spared from making a sacrifice ourselves?" Men and women were made of different matter those days, I guess.

Their business was forced to shut down in 1950 by the comminist regime, that did not favour private businesses. Machines, technology and stockpiles of Rebec´s shop and of other cutlers in region was were confiscated and united under KDS, state owned company residing in the same town. The company is still in operation to this day, private again, and producing virtually the same knife under name peasant knife:
Catalog-21619897.jpg

But I am digresing way too much. Just a cool story that I found out about only beacuse you asked. Thank you! Tought I would share it. Suddenly I value that knife even more.

Last edited:
Yes, indeed. Only doctor Who, or maybe Marty McFly can travel to Czechoslovakia, as it requires not only travel through space, but as well travel at least 27 years back in time. Czechoslovakia is no more. :p

Bareš is focusing mostly on hunting fixblades and folders, and quite frankly I do not like the looks of them. But this particular model, both design and name, is a nod to the legacy of the Rebec family of cutlers, who had their shop in Sedlčany. Their cutler tradition dates back to napoleonic wars, when Rebec worked as an armourer before passing the craft down 4 generations. In 1920´s or 1930´s they had very popular folder nicknamed Rebec or Rebčák, that was reportedly in pocket of every butcher, fisherman, farmer and boy:

rebec.jpg

There were 4 brothers in the last generation, one of them was executed with his wife by occupying nazis for aiding the Anthropoid commando, that carried out assasination of Heydrich - main architect of the holocaust. It is heartbreaking to read the words he managed to smuggle out of the prison on a toilet paper informing his 8 year old son that they are in the place very few come back from and instructing him to stay strong, keep his head up, take care of his 2 years old sister, to behave well and study hard to become a good cutler one day. Men and women were made of different stuff those days, I guess.

Their business was forced to shut down in 1950 by the comminist regime, that did not favour private businesses. Machines, technology and stockpiles of Rebec´s shop and of other cutlers in region was were confiscated and united under KDS state owned company residing in tthe same town. The company is still in operation to this day, private again and producing virtually the same knife under name peasant knife:
Catalog-21619897.jpg

But I am digresing very much. Just a cool story that I found out about only beacuse you asked. Tought I would share it. Suddenly I value that knife even more.
Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Geeeez Gary, what a knife! You’ve had that beauty for a while I believe? It still wows me every time I see it.
Thanks! I've had it for some years now, Nick. It's become a pretty good companion, and I never grow tired of it.

Have a good one!
Cramer LC Jr. today.
zRF501M.jpg

- you pull some surprising and utter beauts out the bag and this is no exception.

Stag to die for, lovely deep fluted bolster, excellent grinds and nail-nick..........and such sweet pins...

...be still my beating heart

- you pull some surprising and utter beauts out the bag and this is no exception.

Stag to die for, lovely deep fluted bolster, excellent grinds and nail-nick..........and such sweet pins...

...be still my beating heart

Thanks, Paul. Your comments are appreciated. Brent Cramer makes a fine knife and he's a good guy too. I always have my eye out for his work.

Utica Jack today

One of several fine old knives that you've toted recently, Steve. Make sure that your time machine has a full tank.

A lucky find. Joseph Rodgers&Sons Victorian Era cigar cutter knife, hafted in MOP.

What a terrific tool - useful AND stylish.

Now you're just rubbing it in, Alan. But don't stop showing that beauty.

That is a comforting Camillus, Nick. Thanks for sharing.

This is the only “whimsical” knife in my collection. I have come close to selling it on several occasions, but, for some reason, I just cannot bring myself to part with it. I especially like the dye job on the pile side

What a wondrous knife. KEEP IT and enjoy.

My wife Nichole, in the blue shirt, has her Poco on, in a roughout Pancake sheath. Poco is Dave Spanish for not enough steel left to make another Gordo

Great stuff, Dave, especially the Poco - just right, I think.

Gorgeous, Harvey, both knife and picture.

Case CV 6217 Half Hawk

What a knife!!

D Duckdog Gevonovich Gevonovich Great knives Stuart and Gev! Inspired to carry this one after seeing you guys’ totes today.

Aw, shucks, Nick. Impressive Empire, friend.

Totin these two Red Bone Cases around Bradford and Titusville! :D

Whoa!! What a pair, Ron. Darkness done well.

Those are swell! :):thumbsup:

It's a good thing I don't have those two to tote around. It would give me a swole head.

Thanks, and I see what y'all did there. Clever!

Jack & Joe get along well.

That is a really fine looking old Case. Really fine.

For today's pocket totes I'll be going with a friend from Sheffield named Christopher Johnson and an old Pal from the US.:D

You are totin' a very friendly pair, JJ - handsome, too.

Impi Barlow and GEC Tidiute Cutlery #54 in honor of the porchsters at the Rendezvous on Tidiute Thursday.

Nice work, Jeff, and i concur with your sentiment for our representatives at the Rendezvous. Wis that I cold be there, but they are more of the Jet Set, while I'm sort of the Chev-ro-let Set.

Going straight ;):D

Wowza, Will!!

Today, it's new and worn bone:
KC9KBhB.jpg

Simply. Lovely.

Barehead and a RamsFoot

The Case grabbed my heart and won't let go.

Spectacular, Harvey.

The Tulip Poplar trees are the first to give up their leaves here on the east coast. Carrying a well-loved Texas Jack in CV today.

Here, in northern Virginia, the drought is accelerating the leaf shedding. Nice Case, Dave.

Heading to a dinner about an hours drive away, decided a flat knife (Case 06247PEN) would work best - got to speak a few words after the dinner. OH

That Case is flat gorgeous,Bruce, and speaks volumes on its own.

- Stuart

Last edited:
Back