What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

IMG-20190811-154553.jpg

How long have you had that one?? It's aging quickly and beautifully! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

I got it on Thursday but immediately used it for apple crisp duties, dinner, and campfire. Its the only knife I have used since then. I really like GEC three bladed knives.

@Duckdog that #61 Stockman is unreal. Couple of our flea market finds from yesterday. Before and after of the 1976 Case #25 1/2 small Coke Bottle Kim found. Actually don't think it had been used, but unfortunately the box and knife had gotten wet. I think I got it about as good as it's going to get. Plenty serviceable once I put an edge back on it. Really nice half stops on it.
20190810_202613 by Chris Thayer, on Flickr

20190811_055422 by Chris Thayer, on Flickr

1998 Case #18 medium Stockman. This one was in great shape, small rust spot on blade spring beneath the clip blade for some reason. Looked like never carried,never used, still has the factory edge, and it's sharp. Removed the rust, cleaned it, oiled it, threw it in my pocket this morning.

20190811_080208 by Chris Thayer, on Flickr

Edit: Does anyone know what they call the color on the #18? Wasn't on the box. Box didn't even say Stockman, just "3-blade PKT" and then the pattern number.

Last edited:

Prester John

Gold Member
1998 Case #18 medium Stockman. This one was in great shape, small rust spot on blade spring beneath the clip blade for some reason. Looked like never carried,never used, still has the factory edge, and it's sharp. Removed the rust, cleaned it, oiled it, threw it in my pocket this morning.

20190811_080208 by Chris Thayer, on Flickr

Edit: Does anyone know what they call the color on the #18? Wasn't on the box. Box didn't even say Stockman, just "3-blade PKT" and then the pattern number.
My guess is Whiskey Bone.

Prester John

Gold Member
Thanks, you think? I thought about that, but it's not even close to the same color as my Whiskey Bone Tribal Lock. That thing is dang near neon. Maybe a color change they made over the years.
The colors are not always consistent. Some of their recent "Dark Red Bone" is not very dark, and my two amber bone knives are very different. One of them even varies greatly from the other side.
There's also a "Harvest Orange" color in the 2019 catalog. Don't know how long that has been used.

RDaneel

Gold Member
Black is beautiful, Dean! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks, Dean; your and others' photos of the Case CV Barlow were a major influence in my buying decision. ;):thumbsup: I'm glad you like the Farmer, and that you sent me one of your "excess" Uncle Henry stockmans. :):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks, HnS. :) Here's a pic of my latest Pocket Pal:
View attachment 1176872

My "Plain" Canoe for vacation is no longer plain, since @r8shell scrimshawed a vacation-inspired scene on it! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
View attachment 1176869

My "Fancy" Canoe for vacation is a Buck stag canoe that I feel fortunate to have found:
View attachment 1176870

- GT

Thank you, Gary! @r8shell definitely has a talent for scrimshaw. :thumbsup:

Very sharp Case jackknife, Gev! It looks like it has been well used and has many stories to tell. :thumbsup:

Thank you, Gary! @r8shell definitely has a talent for scrimshaw. :thumbsup:

Very sharp Case jackknife, Gev! It looks like it has been well used and has many stories to tell. :thumbsup:
Definitely well used, as I keep coming back to it often, It's a favorite. Love your teardrops. Have a great Sunday, Dean !

Crazy Canuck

Singing along with the voices in my head
Gold Member
View attachment 1177228 This old thing today. Anyone like theirs?:D

I was looking at mine today, but needs a bit of TLC. Top cover pin is a bit proud on the inside of the scales which made a little oxidation mark on the awl (was a huge AHA! moment when I figured out what caused the mark). I need to file the kick on the awl as well, as it's just the littlest bit proud, but enough to catch the finger while using the main blade.

HS5775e.jpg

ETA - So much for the AHA! moment... It's the awl slightly contacting the liner at that spot. The spot is too far back to be the pin. All good though ;)