What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

My "Plain" Canoe for vacation is no longer plain, since r8shell r8shell scrimshawed a vacation-inspired scene on it! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
mark-chair-jpg.1176869
I thought you might bring that one on your vacation. I'm glad you're enjoying it. :)
Thank you, Gary! r8shell r8shell definitely has a talent for scrimshaw. :thumbsup:
Thank you!

Yesterday's lunch:
1mV5EsY.jpg

Today it's helping with some small projects around the house.
mzxmRrG.jpg
8vvyWwK.jpg

I have had this one with me this weekend. We did some work indoors and out.

rTXd1aR.jpg

I haven't really carried this all that much since I got it back from Buck. And now I think I know why...

... cause I'm an idiot! This is a sweet knife! Great blade combination, relatively slim in the pocket (although slightly longer than my normal carry), and worry free in the heat and humidity and potential exposure to water! Also sharpens up quite nicely.

Today's pocket totes are from the 30's and wear black composite covers; a Remington Jack with standard jigging and an LF&C Scout with its unique "perfected stag.":D

For today my pocket totes will include a new acquisition, the GEC Stockyard Whittler in Osage wood, and a snappy old Robeson split back Whittler from the 20' or 30's.:D

The knives that you are choosing to tote are absolutely excellent examples of classic slipjoint cutlery and are paired in such complimentary fashion as to stage a scene. In addition, the elders are in tremendously fine condition! Thanks for sharing, JJ.

Boy, that's nice, Alan.

TGIF, porch folk! Have a great weekend!
Halfrich "Jack Russell" with me today. Pocket sheath by Paul Long.
aJKBpzW.jpg

Handsome rig, Gary.

Home made Lambsfoot Pizza
View attachment 1176064

Luscious!!

Supreme Stuart....wow !

Thanks, Gev.

An old PAL and a new friend for friday :thumbsup:

gFkUMKm.jpg

Your old pal looks new to me, Steve. Tremendous stuff.

Boker Nessmi fixed blade

That looks like a very handy, as well as handsome, knife.

Today, I'm still carrying my 1950s? Boker. I don't know why I like it so much. I mean, I sort of do; it's a nice old knife with great steel and lovely worn bone, but there's something else about it that speaks to me. Maybe I can feel that it was once somebody's true "every day carry".

Been there, felt that way, too. Some spirit in the steel and bone.

Two Camillus knives that I re-handled in elk stag.

I'll say it again, Jeff. You made those into conversation pieces, as well as useful cutlery. Good stuff.

Haven't picked today's carry yet but yesterday I pocketed these two nature themed knives.View attachment 1176496

The scrimshaw Schrade is just ducky. It quacks me up.

Ulster Jack today

ErN4COs.jpg

There you go, again, Steve, A beautiful blast from the past.

Case Caramel sawcut Mini Moose. The color changes in different light (or my color differentiation is defective).

I don't know if I'd call that caramel, Dean, but it sure is sweet (and radiant).

Well done sir.

W:eek:W! That's a grand stag gunstock, Stuart! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Big Knife for Vacation is my Mercator Black Cat and my International Knife for Vacation is a Cognet L'Ecureuil, both pictured on a dock in Lake Huron

Thanks, GT. Your Cognet L'Ecureuil is sleek and simple - all that it needs to be. I'm glad that you had a chance to get away for a bit.

- Stuart

My carry today and some bonus pictures.
This is my new friend :) he “she”comes by 2 or 3 times a day although I’m sure he stops by more when I’m not home lol. Today he flew right up to me and Hovered in front of my face then landed on my jasmine plants and just chilled with me for a few minutes .
I’m not sure what he “she”likes more my Jasmine plants or me lol . But he’s”she’s” a cool little guy”girl “ :D It might be time to buy a feeder for her so he can get a full meal.
itfi3xs.jpg

nSo8y4O.jpg

npoGSJO.jpg

Last edited:
I have had this one with me this weekend. We did some work indoors and out.

rTXd1aR.jpg

I haven't really carried this all that much since I got it back from Buck. And now I think I know why...

... cause I'm an idiot! This is a sweet knife! Great blade combination, relatively slim in the pocket (although slightly longer than my normal carry), and worry free in the heat and humidity and potential exposure to water! Also sharpens up quite nicely.

Yes it's a fine useful carry. The Elk slabs are grippy in the heat or wet and don't get affected by it either, blades and liners too. It takes a really keen edge and stays that way a long time, one of my favourite Forum Knives and a real bargain:cool:

Thanks, Will

That's a couple of stout companions for vacation, Gary!
Thanks, Dean. :)

Just home from the last 26 hours in the hospital with my boy. He had a staph abcess in his butt. They had to do surgery and get it. Ended up being 2 spots. But he's out and we home and doing well. I had the foresight to grab his knife before we left to go.
Glad to read your son's surgery was successful. I'll pray that the recovery be fast and as pain-free as possible. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kim’s carry today while we were bumming around a couple flea/markets estate sales. More on that in a bit.
View attachment 1176831
Nice! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: I like 2-bladed toothpicks, especially the bigger models.

BÖKER shadow stockman tonight.

TzHvdjn.jpg
Unusual stockman, Jeff! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

5K Qs 5K Qs ~
Thanks for your kind and witty comments! Nice to see your post after a few days hiatus. Now go enjoy your family vacation for another week!

Congrats on getting the new Case!
Thanks for expressing such friendly thoughts, Jeff! :)

Thank you, GT.
I start back on Monday with staff meetings and training. Kids will be there on Wednesday.
Thanks for the info, John; I hope you have a fantastic year! :):thumbsup::thumbsup: When I was a lad, I'd have felt severely cheated if school started up again before August was even half over! :eek::rolleyes:

Your lucky to have a Daughter GT :thumbsup::D I agree with you, it's actually a pretty cool knife.:thumbsup::cool::D
I'm a knife fondler so when I'm watching TV I always have a knife in hand. You can tell this on some of my lambsfoot carries, the natural oils from my hand keep them looking shiny. :p
Thanks for revealing your professional secrets, Dave! ;):thumbsup::cool:

...And this, obtained at a gun show today:
fT47LJc.jpg
Congrats on the unique find, Vince! :cool::cool::thumbsup: I like that combined spear/opener blade. Is that an ink pen on the other end? When I was a lad, our phone "number" had the format shown on your knife (2 letters for the "exchange" followed by 5 digits in a 1,4 grouping - ours started with OS for OSBORNE).

Thanks GT.

Thank you, my friend. I saw yours posted a little while ago and I had to take mine out for the day. Glad you're still enjoying yours :)

The Secretary is such a cool little SAK. I keep one as my desk knife at home.

Lovely canoes as well. Really appreciate and enjoy the attention and detail in your replies. I don't know how you keep it up ;)
Thanks for your encouraging words, Mike. :) I'm not doing nearly as well at keeping up on The Porch as I used to; I think it's getting bigger and busier, more than this old man can handle! :eek::rolleyes:

Lance, I'm not a fixed blade guy, but I sure like that nubby handle texture! :thumbsup::cool::cool: Is it true that guitar picks are made of celluloid? Did you ever hear of them "outgassing"?

I used to love the old nutty cracker jacks; great visual stimuli!:thumbsup::thumbsup::)

An Imperial "Hammer Brand" was my first foray into pre WWII knives and I was amazed! It set me on a small "older knife" quest...:eek:

Another great selection for your vacation at Lake Huron; that lake certainly looks like a good one to jump into!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

Thanks Gary, I am constantly amazed at the edge these old fellas produce!!! You've added a couple of perfect hard working companions to your vacation carry; I hope you are having a blast!!!:D:rolleyes:
Absolutely marvelous scrimshaw by Rachel!:thumbsup::thumbsup::D Now you have a couple of very cool canoes to paddle around in!:thumbsup::thumbsup:o_O:rolleyes:
Thanks for the supportive comments, JJ. :) Vacation is very enjoyable, and although my back doesn't let me kayak anymore, I've walked over 51 miles in our first 9 day here, so I'm getting lots of exercise. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I wouldn't mind another run of these

93A3vqk.jpg

Aged Osage orange and blades with patina sure look great together! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

5K Qs 5K Qs - Thank you G.T. Your canoes float my boat.:)
Thanks, Harvey. :)

I'm going with a "surf and turf" for Sunday; a Abalone covered Winchester Sowbelly and a Redbone Robeson Spey Barlow. :D
What a pair! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: That sowbelly is really a showpiece!

Think I'll get some canoe time today.
Emjtb4f.jpg
Classic canoe with the canoe blade etch! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Probably my most treasured.View attachment 1177020
That's a memorable knife, Alan! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks Gary ! your stag Canoe is sublime !
Thanks, Steve. :)

You really should! They are beautifully made. The only other vintage barlow I can compare it to is one of Imperials....
My biggest gripe with the knife is that the blades are stainless.
Thanks for the thorough comparison of the two Barlows; superb job!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Wishing everybody a peaceful Sunday.
Same to you, John; nice pic! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: Your "knife-on-a-4x4" shots sometimes remind me of when I used to go to the horse races at Churchill Downs on Derby Day, and at the start of each of the dozen races, the track announcer would say, "They're at the post ... annnd they're off!!!" :D:thumbsup::cool:

EKABLt5.jpg

Queen #61 stockman, 1958-1960.
- Stuart
Lovely stockman, Stuart! :thumbsup::cool::cool: (And more word associations for me: when I saw that Queen, the old potato chips commercial went off in my head, "Ruffles have ridges." :confused::rolleyes:)

Sensational stag, Harvey, and the bolsters are just icing on the cake! ;):cool::cool:

Beautiful Buck bonanza! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Canal Street Cannitler found its way into the pocket this morning. Happy Sunday, All.

Y0TTCt1.jpg
That CSC Cannitler is a gem, Mike! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: (Why don't they spell it "canittler", with one "n" as in "canoe" and 2 "t"s as in "whittler"??? Why do I worry about this kind of stuff??? :rolleyes:)

D Duckdog that #61 Stockman is unreal. Couple of our flea market finds from yesterday. Before and after of the 1976 Case #25 1/2 small Coke Bottle Kim found. ...

1998 Case #18 medium Stockman. ...
Looking good, Chris; they cleaned up nicely! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you, Gary! r8shell r8shell definitely has a talent for scrimshaw. :thumbsup:
Thanks, Dean, she sure does! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Case Whiskey bone Teardrop for Sunday.
The shield on that teardrop is very attractive, Dean! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Stunning toothpick, Nick! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

My Quotidian Quartet that I typically post each Sunday came along on vacation with me, of course. Instead of my usual group shot, here are individual pics of my 4 literal EDCs taken on vacation trips this year or earlier.
scrim.feather.tahq.upper.jpg
sbjr.lagoon.jpg
minichamp.closed.dockpost.jpg
solo.mark.Vstand.lagoon.jpg

- GT

What's the little silver lockback? I have an old Kershaw somewhere that looks like that if I remember. It had some super thick Tiger Eye stone handles glued on when I got it, but one broke somewhere along the line, so I removed them.

Congrats on the unique find, Vince! :cool::cool::thumbsup: I like that combined spear/opener blade. Is that an ink pen on the other end? When I was a lad, our phone "number" had the format shown on your knife (2 letters for the "exchange" followed by 5 digits in a 1,4 grouping - ours started with OS for OSBORNE).
Thanks, Gary. I'd probably call it a pen rather than a spear, but pretty much the same shape. Yes, it's an ink pen. (Out of ink! Should I return it? ;) )
My grandmother's number was TU[lip] 2-8284. [Decades ago, but I still remember.]

Last edited:
I don't know if I'd call that caramel, Dean, but it sure is sweet (and radiant).

- Stuart

Thank you, Stuart; I agree that I don't think of caramel when I look at it. :)

The shield on that teardrop is very attractive, Dean! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

My Quotidian Quartet that I typically post each Sunday came along on vacation with me, of course. Instead of my usual group shot, here are individual pics of my 4 literal EDCs taken on vacation trips this year or earlier.
View attachment 1177290
View attachment 1177291
View attachment 1177292
View attachment 1177298

- GT

Thanks, Gary. The QQ look good no matter where you carry them. :thumbsup:

Lance, I'm not a fixed blade guy, but I sure like that nubby handle texture! :thumbsup::cool::cool: Is it true that guitar picks are made of celluloid? Did you ever hear of them "outgassing"?
. Gary, the knife is a Buck 692 Vanguard. As far as your question regarding guitar picks goes, you’re going to have to find someone more knowledgeable than me (That shouldn’t be too difficult). :confused:

...That CSC Cannitler is a gem, Mike! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: (Why don't they spell it "canittler", with one "n" as in "canoe" and 2 "t"s as in "whittler"??? Why do I worry about this kind of stuff??? :rolleyes:)...

- GT

Thank you. I agree with you completely on this point, but I even Googled it to see how to spell it, and everywhere it was mentioned, that was the way. Let us rebel and call it a Canittler going forward :)

Back