1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Amir Fleschwund

Amir Fleschwund Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Worn out from grandkids...priceless:thumbsup:

2. ty_higg

ty_higg KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 16, 2011
  3. Whetstone39

Whetstone39 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Lol, thanks GT, I certainly was :D

These two for Wednesday.

[​IMG]

4. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    @JJ Cahill - Thank you JJ. Love the warmth and color of the Masserin, as well as your Ebony Lionsteel.

@Jack Black - Thank you Jack. That’s a lovely pair + the beautiful background of your Hartshead Barlow.

@Prester John - Vince, your Wooden Wednesday image hits all the right notes, perfectly.:thumbsup:

[​IMG]

5. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Thanks, Harvey!

cigarrodog and dc50 like this.
  6. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    IMG_20190821_090028.jpg

TFBraden, budman5, Laurelbb and 28 others like this.
  7. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    HSB Junior Cattle Knife today, but it’s just riding a pocket; a Buck 110 LT has done all the work so far! OH
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. sunknife

sunknife Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Big spear blade and a stockman for me today. Spear & Stockman - 1.jpg

9. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    [​IMG]
    Had to tear down a out building today, forgot my saw,good thing I had this;):D

10. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    bet you've got some blisters on your hand from that... it obviously needs a good sharpening, though... pretty ragged cut...

11. RDaneel

RDaneel Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 23, 2000
    Ebony and ivory! Great photo. :thumbsup:

Prester John likes this.
  12. RDaneel

Apr 23, 2000
    Wooden Wednesday.

[​IMG]

Ramrodmb, TFBraden, Laurelbb and 28 others like this.
  13. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    I'm glad we got some impressive Case Barlows recently, gents! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I hope you get cooler weather soon! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    I briefly thought about contacting you to see if you'd improved the edge of my canoe as well as its covers! :rolleyes:;)
    Thanks for the Barlow props. :)

We had Johnsonville turkey hotdogs last week; I was impressed! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks, Ron. :) Sorry to hear that only a third of the Barlows you bought met expectations. :( I bought mine in a hardware store in Mackinaw City MI on the way to our vacation rental a couple of weeks ago. I'd never been there before, but I found out they were one of only two Case Master dealers in Michigan, so I wanted to try shopping for a knife in person and picking out a knife that "met my standards". I was only interested in the brown sawcut CV Barlow, but ironically, they only had one left in stock. The dye near the bolsters was a little lighter than I'd have preferred, but acceptable.

I like the way you caught the sunset reflecting in that ebony, Paul! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks, Harvey. :) The V-cut is looking pretty good already; I think I'll only wear a band aid now if I'm doing something where I might bang the finger on something.

I appreciate your comments, JJ. :)

Nice description of those new GECs! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Variety is valued, Jack! ;):thumbsup:
    That pair of relatively new stags is illustrious! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

You guys are playing sweet tunes! ;):cool::cool:

Splendid pic of your elk under the ironwood, Mark! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Congrats on the Stockyard Whittler, Rachel! :thumbsup::cool::cool: Speaking of whimsy, calling the knife Ramen indicates that you prioritize punches above pork! ;) (And who DOESN'T put the shield upside down? :rolleyes:)

That stag Churchill sure has a vintage vibe, Gev! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

I'm impressed by your industry, Stuart, setting posts in near-100˚ heat! :rolleyes::thumbsup::thumbsup: And your pic makes me think I really haven't grown up yet, even after 2/3 of a century, because I still don't have my own posthole digger. :(

Is that gorgeous 6347 an intentional choice this time, Dean? ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: Both chestnut treatments are lookers!

- GT

14. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Cool photo, Harvey! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Can you explain what everything "means" in that Sheffield coat of (bare) arms? ;)

That double jigging style is unique! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Champion pics that are amazingly similar in "mood", Nick and David! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Legging out an extra base hit with that duo, Vince! :cool::cool:;)

Congrats on the results of the physical, Del; that's quite the colorful celebratory knife!! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

My wife has a lot of milkweed growing in our side yard, but this summer I think we have only one Monarch in residence. :(

Thanks, JJ. :)

Excellent stag HHB, José! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Out of this world, Mark! :cool::cool:;) (At first, I thought it memorialized the 50 years since I graduated from high school. :rolleyes:)

Tremendous timber for today, John & Ron & Jeff! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Good to see you've gone straight, Stuart! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

When Jeff is right, he's right @cjtamu! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
    What's your procedure for cleaning out the rust, Chris?

Gosh, it's a Grain Gala! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

That must be one of those demolition knives I've heard about, David! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

15. cjtamu

cjtamu Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2018
    Ha ha ha. I posted this one a few days ago but didn't explain. This is my Woodford in Waterford photo. Kim was going through a box of unsorted items that hadn't been priced yet and asked me about a box that said "Waterford" on top. Open it and there are 4 whisky glasses with stickers still on them and in the original tissue paper. Someone had also stuck a string of pearls with a broken clasp inside. I went up and asked first about the glasses then about the pearls. You'd cry if you knew what I paid for them. The Case 6318 is also from the sale, so I put it with the glasses in the photo. I'll take a picture for you later of the carpenter's level I bought.
    [​IMG]20190811_162436 by Chris Thayer, on Flickr

TFBraden, Duckdog, Laurelbb and 15 others like this.
  16. RDaneel

Apr 23, 2000
    Thank you, Gary! Yes, a very intentional choice. :)

cigarrodog likes this.
  17. Rose and Thistle Custom

Rose and Thistle Custom Josh Mead Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 9, 2018
    Out doing some chopping with a new knife, will live in the kitchen but wanted some fun first.
    20190821_120721-734x1305.jpg 20190821_120747-734x1305.jpg 20190821_120305-734x1305.jpg

TFBraden, Duckdog, Laurelbb and 19 others like this.
  18. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    @5K Qs I can only guess, GT., but @Jack Black might know. It was billed as an 80s Hipster patch. It looks like an interpretation, celebrating Labor and Industry. that went way back. On the right side, I see an anvil, so perhaps it in reference to Sheffield as being known as a giant of the Steel Industry. At least that’s what I thought.:)

19. Amir Fleschwund

Amir Fleschwund Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Uh oh! You have committed a musical equivalent of disrupting the universe by dividing by zero.:eek: Since there is only 1/2 step between E and F, there is no black key between them.

BUT. No matter how pose it, your gifted ebony 15 jack is a treat for my eyes.:D:thumbsup:
    Big, Beautiful spear blade, sunknife! Wow.:thumbsup:

Ramrodmb, cigarrodog, RDaneel and 2 others like this.
  20. kai76

kai76 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Thank you guys for the nice words! Gev, like what Gary said, I thought your Churchill was an old knife at first glance. Very nice.