What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Âchillepattada

Gold Member
A gift I like a lot :D

48605305002_aa84c0365d_z.jpg

Â

@Duckdog thank you. Kim was excited last night when I showed her all the run her Kamp King was getting. Funny, she had actually seen a beat up version to show me, but when we went back to look it was gone. She didn't know this one was already at the register :).

Amir Fleschwund Amir Fleschwund you're right about today's tools. I saw that level and had to have it. I'm going to post the whole knife haul this weekend in the Flea Market thread, will include some of the other cool items. For degreasing/degunking I use a citrus degreaser that I use on bicycles. Smells good, works great. I use Finish Line, but they're all about the same.

Today I'll be toting a couple black composite covered Camillus BSA knives; one whittler from the 60's and a scout from the late 40's. :D

Ouch. Those are beautiful. And great photo.

Half/Stop

Gold Member
Ever since @Old Engineer showed the harness hames that he found at flea markets and made walking sticks out of, I started looking for them. No luck so far...

By the way, I noticed in one of the photos he posted from the Rendezvous, that he provided one of those cudgels, I mean walking sticks, to Half/Stop Half/Stop . Maybe they used them to clear the aisles so they could get the deals?:eek::D
Jeff, you noticed correctly my friend! :thumbsup: In 2018 when Harry @Old Engineer and his lovely wife Nancy arrived at the hotel in Titusville where we were staying for the Rendezvous, Pam and I went down to the lobby to greet them. Harry surprised me with this wonderful handcrafted walking stick and a wooden Starrett micrometer box. As you stated previously the handle is constructed using an original old harness hame. The stick on my cane is made from a shovel that Harry bought and used when they built their home. Harry told me how old it was but I don’t remember exactly. I feel safe to say at least 30 years old. This definitely is one of my most cherished items. I felt extremely honored that Harry would take the many hours required to make this and then surprise me with it as a gift. It just goes to show you the caliber of people that are on the Porch. :thumbsup: :D

42220418820_7f7a84e853_b_d.jpg

That is one fine looking knife, Ron, in all respects. Fabulous! (As was it's previously posted sibling and the one subsequently posted by @Gevonovich .
Thanks Stuart! :) The #35 Churchill pattern is IMO one of the best from GEC in a long time. :thumbsup:

I’m totin this pair today. A Northfield SFO #54 Single Spear in Red Jigged Bone and my Rosewood Hartshead Lambsfoot Barlow. :) I hope y’all have a great weekend! :thumbsup: :D

48606089496_9df4d71bdf_b_d.jpg

5K Qs

Gold Member
Wooden Wednesday.

Good wood Forum knife, Dean! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thank you, Gary! Yes, a very intentional choice. :)
I didn't think I'd like a 3-spring stockman, but the Case 6347 certainly works for me. ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

5K Qs 5K Qs I can only guess, GT., but @Jack Black might know. It was billed as an 80s Hipster patch. It looks like an interpretation, celebrating Labor and Industry. that went way back. On the right side, I see an anvil, so perhaps it in reference to Sheffield as being known as a giant of the Steel Industry. At least that’s what I thought.:)
LOL! I missed GT's question, but I'm guessing he's asking about the Sheffield Coat of Arms! :D I wondered where you got that from Harvey! :D When I was a kid, it was on all the buses, and it was even my school blazer patch. I've used it as a background image before, but I'd have to go through an awful lot of photos to find it! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

"80's Hipster patch" indeed :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

G'day folks, hope everyone's week is going well :) I've got these two with me today, my pocket-hogging Hartshead Barlow, and a Case Peanut recently gifted to me by @mitch4ging :) Thanks Dennis :thumbsup:
zgkIrJ0.jpg
Harvey & Jack, thanks for the info and link regarding the Sheffield Coat of Arms. :thumbsup::cool::cool: Jack, may I assume that your blazer didn't have exactly the version Harvey found? ;)
Jack, that Peanut from Dennis is a smooooth looker! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

5K Qs 5K Qs Thanks Gary! :)

The closer you get to 60, the more you feel 60. :eek:

So, I'm guessing 70 must be a riot? :p
Del, I haven't made it to 70 yet, and there are no guarantees, but maybe 70 won't be so bad since I'm accumulating a lot of replacement parts during my later 60s! :D:rolleyes:

5K Qs 5K Qs
Well..... as ol' George is supposed to have said, "I cannot tell a lie " The lambsfoot had a wee bit of help:D:p But it was used to cut some tough materials out of the way including old lamp cords used to tie things up, and some thick nylon strapping:thumbsup: It really is a tough working knife:cool:
;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks Nick and 5K Qs 5K Qs I trimmed a branch last night on the trail...first use :eek::D It's in the pocket today too

39206321101_339abf26ed_k.jpg

48332462797_2b51c3ec59_b_d.jpg

Great selection Gary! :thumbsup:
Congrats on the maiden voyage of your stag Churchill, Gev; you and Ron sure have a couple to crow about! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
Ron, I appreciate your approval of my knives. :)

It’s always better when you can pick in person Gary! I’d say you got a good one! :thumbsup: Thanks for the compliment! :D

Wooderfull of you to say that Gary! :thumbsup: :D
Thanks again, Ron. :p:thumbsup::cool:

An impressive wood duo, Jiki, :cool::cool::thumbsup: but the knife on the left has me "stumped"; what make/model is that?

I'm with you, and kudos on your horse ride recovery. I try to stay with at least a few knives within my age group that aren't too banged up.

l4RzFJ8.jpg

- Stuart
That Queen toothpick is majestic, Stuart! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Still carrying these every day .

Harry
Certainly a pair that would be hard to abandon, Harry! :cool::thumbsup::cool:
(I hope every now and then you'll have a two TEWs Tuesday just for old times' sake. ;):thumbsup:)

Got this one as a surprise from @blademan 13 it is a Keen Kutter but it did have a nasty chip/nick about mid way down the blade, took a while but I was able to sharpen it out and she's quite the cutter, plus some interesting covers there that I rubbed with flitz to help polish up the outside so it looks about new, but is pretty old, not sure the age but she's certainly old enough to drink ;) Thanks again Jamie !

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2
Congrats on the knockout Keen Kutter, Gary; the covers are mesmerizing! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

- GT

Today's carries and my Black Friday entries. 1983 Case 20151L in my front pocket and a Buck 305 in my watch pocket. The Buck is another flea/estate knife. It was pristine, all I did was wipe and oil it. @r8shell said she thinks it's Camillus made. The quality is really good. The Case was actually a garage find, and I mean our garage. I found it a couple years ago and neither of us have any idea where it came from. It was in sad, sad, shape but cleaned up pretty well. The file work is really nice. I assume it was a SFO, but when I called Case about it they were unable to verify. They also told me they called it a Barlow. Go figure.
20190823_072902 sized 40.jpg
20190823_072953 sized 40.jpg

5K Qs

Gold Member
After viewing the great Kamp King find by C cjtamu , I pulled out some of my Imperial Hammer Brands from the same era; they are still such great cutters after 60-70+ years. For Thursday I'll go with these 3.:rolleyes:
Triply incredible, JJ! You really put the Hammer(s) down! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks GT! There's even some relief / texture on the scales. :cool:

You went to high school on the moon? :eek::p
:D Some of my teachers would have probably claimed I was "lost in space" back then, Mark. ;)

These knives are very special!!!;):thumbsup:
Today with A. Wright lambsfoot stag left hand.:):thumbsup:

Thanks, José. :) Your stag LHLF is also very special! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Superb pair, Jeff! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Your schedule was very kind to you this week. Good knives. :cool::thumbsup:
The Case for work and the Waynorth for after work...
Thanks, John. :) Looks like you have a more-than-simply-workable knife plan for the day! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

KeenKutter Cattle knife today :thumbsup:

lALwlqw.jpg
That's definitely keen, Steve! :cool::thumbsup::cool: The shadow from the shield makes me wonder if the shield is inlet into the bone at all, or is that just a trick of the lighting?

Day 18 of triple digit temps expected. I want to say I'll carry my new Tidioute daily until the first frost, but how many months away is that? :(
yZm0UqR.jpg
"Stay cool!" seems like a useless suggestion, Rachel. :(:rolleyes: Handsome pair of knives; seeing them side by side shows that the 29 is smaller than I'd imagined. :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Nck5D0x.jpg

- Stuart
Charming couple of Cases, Stuart! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: But the bark on that log is what really caught my eye - very "furry". :eek: What species is that??

Ever since I first saw the Acorn shield I’ve been on the look out for one. They must have been hoarded by all the squirrels because I have never seen one for sale. Thought it’d be neat, as it reminds me of the big oak tree in my parents front yard. The tree is gone now, but we used to do a lot with the Acorns that would fall off every year. Shot them out of slingshots, made pretend smoking pipes with toothpicks, and even convinced our little brother they were good to eat...until Mom really chewed us out for that oneo_Oo_O
I should have added, I had meant the Canoe pattern. I’ve seen some others with the shield but always thought the canoe and acorn just went together. I did not know AG Russell did any with an Acorn, I’ll have to look.
I was going to send you a link to a nice tobacco bone canoe with acorn shield, figuring they're out there if you know where to look, but I struck out! :eek::(:rolleyes: I kept coming up with the newer "tobacco road" bone, which looks kind of cool to me (I don't have any yet), but no acorn shield involved.

5K Qs 5K Qs - Thank you, GT. I look forward to seeing your weekly carry.
Thanks for the support, Harvey. :)

Today I'm breaking in a new one, the Maher & Grosh in ebony, such a fine knife. Paired with a Hen & Rooster pen in
elk antler, I believe. View attachment 1183334
That's a superb variation on the GEC #29! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Gary, the plain canoe looks fancy to me, nice knife! The Case Congress is gorgeous (and a great gift)!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
I always appreciate your noticing my knives, Dean. :)

I carried these two on a somewhat rainy and post rain hike today.

Breathtaking brace of Cases, Dean! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Two all time greats today
View attachment 1183452
Classic carries, Taylor! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Superb pair, Nick; especially tasteful bone on the top knife! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Sorry, missed this earlier. Not a whole lot of experience in refurbishing knives, but may have restored an old bike, RC car, etc. or 2 ;). Much of that transfers. Really depends on what shape the knife is in, maybe on the blade steel. Would rather not use harsh chemicals, so I'll use elbow grease if possible. Some 400 grit paper works wonders on the inside of blade springs and tangs. 000 or 0000 steel wool for blades, Usually some 000 steel wool inside of blade springs after I've used sandpaper. Rust between the tang and liners is a PITA, so far have been able to lube and work most of that loose, then blow out with a compressor. Have used Evaporust on a couple that were in bad enough shape. Works pretty well, but does leave a patina on carbon blades. I try not to dunk the whole knife, there are maybe two we got where I'll have to do that. Found the other night that WD-40 did a good job removing rust between the tang and liners at the pivot. Let it sit, blew it out, then used isopropyl alcohol to remove the WD-40. I'm still learning. Have read quite a bit here about how other folks do it, but always looking for more info.
Thanks for sharing your methods, Chris. :):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks, GT, but I could be better off not having such tools so close at hand. We've got milkweed nearby, but the Monarchs are having a hard time across their range, partly due to milkweed suppression in crop and range land.
All four are fine, GT, but the Russell and Case are still in my mind's eye.
- Stuart
Tool comment: :D
Monarchs' hard time: :(:thumbsdown:
Thanks for your approval of my knives, Stuart. :)

Today I'll be toting a couple black composite covered Camillus BSA knives; one whittler from the 60's and a scout from the late 40's. :D
The hits just keep on coming from you, JJ!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Ask not for whom the bell tolls.
It tolls for HHB. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

Native XF ad, Below bottom BC