What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

It's been a while since I have been on this forum. Otter today in my pocket.

XWqIa9E.jpg

Each morning I slip a Victorinox Waiter or Compact into my left pocket, and I choose a single-bladed slipjoint for my right. More often than not, this humble 15 gets the nod.

View attachment 1185462
Each morning, an sak goes in my left pocket, too. Almost always a Wenger Handyman. 11C24D74-5C29-4147-B5E0-42C2F2B69185.jpegI’m no great photographer, but the diffused light during a dawn thunderstorm makes it easy.ED95D351-2848-4D02-A45A-385E04A1F302.jpeg

Case 6318 in pocket and 6227 in watch pocket. Both of these from the big flea market haul a couple weeks ago. Thanks to @Old Hunter I finally determined the 6318 is Chestnut Bone, and I believe that's what the 6227 is also. Tang stamp puts it between 1940-1964. Cleaned up better than I had hoped. Just haven't had the heart to file the tip down yet.
Case 6318 and 6227 by Chris Thayer, on Flickr

1940-64 Case 6227 by Chris Thayer, on Flickr

Tomorrow’s carry and one of my few no worries work horses . Developing some nice character and a joy to carry and use. Case did a great job on this canoe:thumbsup:
ZMRBwl9.jpg
I think Case did a great job on that whole series. I've got the Tribal Lock and the Mini Trapper and they are both excellent.

My Lloyd Trapper is back on pocket duty today. Sorry about the bite out of my Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwich. I was hungry!;)
w7BUSAo.jpg

I've got a crew here removing my cracked and heaving garage floor. Lots of jack hammering going on. They're promising they'll have a new floor in this week. Fingers crossed.
OAiRMNI.jpg

Great image, Jeff. :cool::thumbsup:
Thank you, John!

Case 6318 in pocket and 6227 in watch pocket. Both of these from the big flea market haul a couple weeks ago. Thanks to @Old Hunter I finally determined the 6318 is Chestnut Bone, and I believe that's what the 6227 is also. Tang stamp puts it between 1940-1964. Cleaned up better than I had hoped. Just haven't had the heart to file the tip down yet.
Case 6318 and 6227 by Chris Thayer, on Flickr

1940-64 Case 6227 by Chris Thayer, on Flickr

That’s great, Chris! And your flea market prowling fun and fortune is shared by your wife. I call that winning.

Thank you, John!

That’s great, Chris! And your flea market prowling fun and fortune is shared by your wife. I call that winning.

Thank you, I think so too. The small Case is actually one Kim found in the unsorted bins and snuck off and bought for me. Speaking of flea market prowling, just sent you a PM.

Old Timer Old PAL :)

QAQLFLl.jpg
That old PAL is marvelous, and the photo is first-rate, Steve! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: That colorful flower growing up between the colorless wood stair treads is striking!

Boker USA Jack
95zJL25.jpg

Fantastic checkering on the handle! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Epitome of pearl elegance, Harvey! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

That pearl swayback is also supremely elegant, and the stag 73 is superb, Alan! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

F.W. Jordan pen (1920s) and Cattaraugus jack (1886-1963).

f9byyOb.jpg

- Stuart
Even more outstanding pearl!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Splendid Sunday selection, Stuart!

I was undecided on what I would carry today until I saw your 2 gorgeous M.O.P.'s . I especially like the Catt.
I acquired this Shapleighs while at the Rendezvous from Charlie @waynorth .

Harry
Sublime, Harry! :cool::thumbsup::cool: What a plethora of peerless pearl today!!! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

View attachment 1184351 Bakelite on my main user TL-29, and stag with a strange orangey tint on the Bull Buster for Stagurday:D
Nice pair, Jeff! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: That Bull Buster takes flaming stag to a whole new realm! :p

46911244885_8423ddccfe_k.jpg

and my Churchill
Sensational photograph, Gev! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Gary, I own two of those wonderful knives! I don't have a Mercator though.
I'll bet you'd like a Mercator if you got one, Dean. :thumbsup::) It's a big 1-blade lockback, which I'd normally consider 3 strikes against it, but I found out that I like it a lot anyway!

A knife for a calm day. :)

Pretty pastoral picture of your I*XL Barlow, Dean. :thumbsup::cool::cool: (When I was a kid, we'd sometimes swim at a place called Shady Shores, a name that could apply to that pond. ;))

GT, eagle-eyed eff was correct. The Case trappers were resting on a cut limb crotch from a white oak from which I removed the bark to expose the exterior burl lines. It kinda spiffs up the old log pile.
Your teardrop makes me weep with joy, GT.
- Stuart
That's why the limb looked so unfamiliar to me, Stuart. :rolleyes: Now that you provided that info, suddenly my memory says, "Oh, yeah, that's actually very similar to the look of the red oak branch after I whittled off the outer bark."
I often have the same reaction to the chestnut jigged teardrop. ;)

5K Qs 5K Qs This knife fills out the hand a bit more. A bit heftier but nicely so. It also has a somewhat unique lanyard attachment via a pin integrated in the butt of than handle.

It's a good looking and well finished knife.

Don't think you can go wrong.
Thanks for some of your impressions of that RR carbon bow trapper. :thumbsup::)

No time to take pictures today so I will use some old ones of what is in my pockets today .

And I only carry Stag on days that end in a " Y "

Harry
Great to see that TEW/73 pair, Harry! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks Gary!!! The only stag I have seen that looks distinctive are several examples from Puma that I have owned over the years.:rolleyes:

Speaking of stag, your Lambsfoot senator looks gorgeous as do your other two choices of bull horn and bone!:thumbsup::thumbsup::D
Thanks for your opinions, JJ; I appreciate your replies. :)

I felt like a couple from Robeson for my totes today; a rock solid scout from the 1911-20 period and an ultra keen edged jack from the 1922-39 era. :D
Ravishing bone on your Robeson pair, JJ! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Is the jack a standard teardrop/swell end pattern, or does its width "step down" in the middle, like a coke bottle?

Wonderful pair of knives, Jack (and a ritzy slip)! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I really enjoy my AC and Okapi biltong.

View attachment 1184863 A couple of mid-size knives for me today. This was my first stockman, bought while working at Sears hardware back in high school. View attachment 1184862
Very cool to see your first stockman, Jeff! :cool::cool::thumbsup: That must be at least 10 years old! :p

Churchill today :thumbsup:

pW1MTOs.jpg
I haven't actually made a GEC wish list for myself, but if I did, I'll bet an ebony Churchill would easily show up in the top three; handsome knife, Steve! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Camillus e/o bone jack, very solid old knife and this osage #29 were my carry for Friday & Saturday work. Not yet sure what to pocket for a day of leisure today.:)View attachment 1184868
Whoa, that's a very desirable pair! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

My Lambsfoot for today...
I enjoy seeing this African rosewood lambsfoot and your ebony Waynorth Cutlery lambsfoot jockeying for position in the race for your affections, John!! :cool::cool:;)

View attachment 1184889

Nothing better than a cup of coffee on a Sunday morning. This Oregon Collector’s 43 was one of the best of that run. It is one of the rare examples of top notch random jigging I have seen GEC produce. I cannot help but wonder why they seem to struggle with older jigging patterns.
That shield is always fun to see, and the jigging is indeed exquisite! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Actually, the jigging reminds me very much of that on @waynorth's jigged bone #93 lambsfoot.

That's a pair to be reckoned with, Alan, with a couple of my favorite shields! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

That's a nice pair. :thumbsup:
I've got my two newest in my pockets today:
hpmU7z9.jpg
FXYEEvO.jpg
Congrats on those superb new knives, Rachel! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

agdiT6A.jpg

Spanish navaja for Sunday carry.
Memorable photo, Vince!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Your AC is Almost Criminal in its desirability, Ron! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Your stag HHB and that old Rodgers congress are handsome pieces, Harvey! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: What's the fabric behind the Barlow? You're not bringing out winter wear already, are you? :eek::rolleyes:

Oh my, how could I have forgotten that stunning stockman, Gary!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you for your teardrop appreciation.:)

Finally, your Stag/Horn and Lambsfoot of the week knives are wonderful. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the very kind words, Dean. :) My '47 stockman has a shield that looks like the shield on one of your knives, but I can't remember which one (whiskey bone teardrop??); at any rate, the shield definitely contributes to the appeal of each knife!

On Sunday I like to carry an attractive knife (well, I think it is!).

Definitely a looker, Dean! :thumbsup::cool::cool: I wonder how many covers the red shield is used on?

- GT

Back