What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

In anticipation of tonight’s game...

592-FDD4-A-88-C6-4243-AA15-73-A631-FD13-BF.jpg

Not really prudent start of the day, but enjoyable one nonetheless.

IMG-20190905-094541.jpg
Well, the beer breakfast does not seem to have had a detrimental effect on your knife choices.

Y’all have a great day! :) :thumbsup:

48682228678_c5a285cf8a_b_d.jpg
Love your 54, Ron, and the WCLF aint bad either.

A Camillus from the 1970’s? I can’t tell if it is bone or delrin.
6YptzFk.jpg
Good thing we have experts here. Dropping it on concrete and seeing if it cracks is not recommended.
I thought bone, and it looks like smarter guys think so too. Lovely knife.

That's older, 1940's or 50's. Post war no line stamp, bone. 14 pattern?

I am back with the schrade made craftsman 9554 whittler. It's a great tool.

View attachment 1191292
Oh, that’s a good one! I’d like to add one of those to my Craftsman group.

Nice knife Travman :). Pretty hard to tell ( I couldn't say) what handle material it is. You could poke it with a red hot pin:eek:, or have a good look at it using a jeweller's loupe or a microscope.

Edited to add: thechunk91 knows.
:thumbsup: The chunk does!
Readying myself for Dorian today here in Leland, NC (close to Wilmington). Got my trusty HHB on the ready (good worry stone too).
View attachment 1191307

36039198833_bb834a6ff1.jpg
I’ll keep ya in my prayers the next few days!

Camillus and a Utica today :thumbsup:

U92ixHbh.jpg
Keep the flame burning.:thumbsup:

Definitely Rogers Bone judging by the pin crack and jigging.

Very nice !
This place is chock full o’ knowledge:thumbsup:

Travman, I'm with Paul and Steve on this one, definitely bone, although I'm not sure about a pin crack. My guess is from the 1950s, as in this Camillus tang stamp chart there is a gap between the 1946-'50 photo and the 1960-'70s one, and there is NO photo which shows your CAMILLUS over NEW YORK stamp without a line under CAMILLUS.

View attachment 1191338
:thumbsup:Really appreciate you folks sharing what you know.
Carrying these two today :) :thumbsup:

iDQGZRJ.jpg

6wD73Oe.jpg
Wow! A nice version of electrician!!!
H5RqSUA.jpg
As always. Been in the pocket everyday for a year and 9 months.
Great knife to stick with. I love that ~ one man/ one knife.

Either of these could fit the bill for a one-knife man, and I suspect that the Camillus was.View attachment 1191366

A Camillus from the 1970’s? I can’t tell if it is bone or delrin.
6YptzFk.jpg
Beautiful knife, and I'm following the discussion with interest. Glad you posted it.

#66 Calf Roper and a pair of Justin Ropers. Hard combination to beat right there, I recommend it highly. Working from the house today and taking care of a flu-ridden Kim. Lest ya'll think I'm cooling my heels in my back yard all day ;)
20190905_093439 sized 40.jpg

Oh my, that's a beauty!

Thank you!!

Thanks, Dean. :) Yes, I've separated the sowbellies from the other stockman patterns into their own category, so I'll have one of my 10 sowbellies in my pockets every week. :thumbsup:

Handsome knife, and I appreciate that you're not one of the people who is prejudiced against spey blades! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Watch pocket Knife of the Week is a Case mini copperhead:
View attachment 1191274

Big Knife of the Week is a large Rough Rider rams horn bone cotton sampler:
View attachment 1191275

Miscellaneous Knife of the Week is a GEC #72 (thanks, Dee):
View attachment 1191276

- GT

Thank you, Gary! No prejudice against spey blades from me. IMHO, a stockman must have one and the one on the Case 6347 is particularly nice.

You posted a nice set of knives today. The cotton sampler is an unusual looking knife; I've read about them but I don't think I've seen one here.

H5RqSUA.jpg
As always. Been in the pocket everyday for a year and 9 months.

Great knife! :thumbsup: Frequently, I wish I could carry just one. Sigh. Kudos to you.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Here are the knives I carried on my hike today.

Scratted TC Barlow photographed in the middle of a local stream bed; the water is really low.

Hard work with my Victorinox Farmer (thank you, Gary!) Really, I did not cut down that tree with my tiny saw. :)

WWII era Camillus pearl whittler, with nail file.

Here are the knives I carried on my hike today.

Scratted TC Barlow photographed in the middle of a local stream bed; the water is really low.

Hard work with my Victorinox Farmer (thank you, Gary!) Really, I did not cut down that tree with my tiny saw. :)

WWII era Camillus pearl whittler, with nail file.

Hope you had a great hike Dean, that's a nice selection to take out with you, and great pics :thumbsup: I think that Camillus is actually a Three Blade Penknife rather than a Whittler :thumbsup:

Hope you had a great hike Dean, that's a nice selection to take out with you, and great pics :thumbsup: I think that Camillus is actually a Three Blade Penknife rather than a Whittler :thumbsup:

Thank you, Jack!

Regarding the Camillus, Bernard Levine defines a whittler as "a three-blade pen knife with a large blade in one end and two small cutting blades of equal length in the other end..." and "Many small knives with 'whittler' construction have a manicure blade in place of one of the small cutting blades. These knives are not considered 'true' whittlers by some collectors."

Can we meet in the middle and call it a 'whittler-like penknife?' :):D

Paul, thanks for following up! I went back to the 1946 catalog and found this cut showing the short line stamp attributed to 1946-'50. So apparently both were in use post war, and who knows for how long?
1946CamillusCatCut.jpg

The 1948 catalog has this same cut with the short line, but by the 1954 catalog, this same cut does not have the line.

Back