What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Ulster-Official-BSA-SS.jpg

Another good day to pocket a stainless pocketknife, this time an old Official BSA by Ulster. OH

As impressive today as it was yesterday! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: Is that an ebony Presidential, or one of the dark micarta models?

Thanks; it is burgundy linen micarta , GT. Old pic:

6B141AEE-3B2D-4DF7-A881-1803601639F3.jpeg

Really like it. I’ve mentioned before here, people acquire duplicates of the same knife for various reasons. This is the only dupe (model, covers, etc) that I now have because I like them so much. I did not want to be without should something happen. Not sure if they’ll be made again.

Seems to me these were also in stock for a little while - did not sell out in under 5 mins. Derrick’s disclaimer at the time about blade rub may have steered some people away. Was slight on the user, now the blades are patina’d.

Thanks; it is burgundy linen micarta , GT. Old pic:

View attachment 1191442

Really like it. I’ve mentioned before here, people acquire duplicates of the same knife for various reasons. This is the only dupe (model, covers, etc) that I now have because I like them so much. I did not want to be without should something happen. Not sure if they’ll be made again.

Seems to me these were also in stock for a little while - did not sell out in under 5 mins. Derrick’s disclaimer at the time about blade rub may have steered some people away. Was slight on the user, now the blades are patina’d.

The Northwoods Presidential is one of the very few Northwoods knives that has had great appeal to me. I think they were produced before my time here though. Wonderful looking knives and they often elicit adoration from me whenever I see them posted here.

Thank you, Jack!

Regarding the Camillus, Bernard Levine defines a whittler as "a three-blade pen knife with a large blade in one end and two small cutting blades of equal length in the other end..." and "Many small knives with 'whittler' construction have a manicure blade in place of one of the small cutting blades. These knives are not considered 'true' whittlers by some collectors."

Can we meet in the middle and call it a 'whittler-like penknife?' :):D

You can call it whatever you like my friend (this has been a discussion point here in the past) :) When it comes to patterns, I always have Levine close at hand ;) :D :thumbsup:

Today, I went to my folks to do their mowing. I had already planned to take both Grandpa’s old, well worn Camillus along with the one I just acquired to carry to show Mom. And she showed me a couple of mementos she’d made a small display of~ his old Sunday dress up felt hat, and a photo of him wearing it.

So, inspired by @Anothername sticking faithfully with one good knife, I took these photos of the first One Knife Man I ever knew along with his knife. I would bet that knife was in his pocket when he posed for the picture, because I never saw him without it.
Still miss you, Grandpa.
3BD16F71-D52D-4C24-8781-63030CD8CA6E.jpeg DCE966CB-6C4B-402B-8E5E-15D4148E1941.jpeg

That's older, 1940's or 50's. Post war no line stamp, bone. 14 pattern?

View attachment 1191292
Thanks for the help. The AAPK website has a nice little section on Camillus tang stamps, but unfortunately they are missing this stamp which from everything I can read is from the 1950’s with no exact beginning or end dates known. And yes, this is the 14 pattern.
C3So2tH.jpg

Nice knife Travman :). Pretty hard to tell ( I couldn't say) what handle material it is. You could poke it with a red hot pin:eek:, or have a good look at it using a jeweller's loupe or a microscope.

Edited to add: thechunk91 knows.
I am leaning towards bone. I know this is not exact, but if I touch it with my teeth it feels like bone.

Definitely Rogers Bone judging by the pin crack and jigging.

Very nice !
I like the sound of that. Rogers Bone sounds a lot cooler than Delrin. Earlier I was thinking it was more of 70’s knife with delrin handles and was going to give it to my nephew so that he could use it up or loose it. I think I’ll hang on to it a little longer.

One more pic...
af3k5rr.jpg

Last edited:
oRLhwaT.jpg

Carried these today, we didn't work today so I went into town to take care of a couple things. Had to make a short stop at Walmart, it was a flipping madhouse. We're getting some rain from Dorian now, but I dont think it will get to bad here. I'm an hour from the coast, going to get allot of rain looks like

Back