What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

2v4lM1F.jpg

sgbotZV.jpg

Given that you have an affinity for the stockman pattern, I'd recommend that you see how the sowbelly variation compares to some of your favorite stockman models. :thumbsup:;) There always seem to be lots of canoe models around.
Thanks for the info about your Wharncliffe Pocket-Eze :cool:; I'm apparently not as good about remembering knives as I think I am. :rolleyes:

Stellar vintage stag stockman, Dean! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

- GT

Thank you for your recommendation, Gary, and your comment on my stag stockman. I went with a single blade sowbelly; you can see it in my next post. :)

I'm stepping out on Friday with these two :) Have a good Friday folks, the weekend is almost upon us ;) :thumbsup:

dG5O7mu.jpg

duP1AJR.jpg

That's a great photo of your Barlow, Jack. Is that a local canal in the background?

Y’all have a great day! :) :thumbsup:
Brown bone bonanza, Ron!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

A Camillus from the 1970’s? I can’t tell if it is bone or delrin....
That's a slender splendid knife, and I've enjoyed reading the answers to your question! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks, Gary.

Nice trio there. Love the ram's horn! Saw some similar this week--brand named Marbles. Trapper, stockman, and canoe.
Thanks, Vince. :) The cotton sampler I posted is actually bone dyed and jigged to resemble ram's horn. I have some of those Marbles ram's horn models (sowbelly stockman, canoe, Barlow) and their covers are genuine ram's horn.

Readying myself for Dorian today here in Leland, NC (close to Wilmington). Got my trusty HHB on the ready (good worry stone too).
View attachment 1191307
Carried these today, we didn't work today so I went into town to take care of a couple things. Had to make a short stop at Walmart, it was a flipping madhouse. We're getting some rain from Dorian now, but I dont think it will get to bad here. I'm an hour from the coast, going to get allot of rain looks like
I hope you and everyone along the Atlantic coast of USA come through the storm with no "personal injury or property damage" (as the insurance folks put it). :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Camillus and a Utica today :thumbsup:
Colorful and commendable couple of folders, Steve! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Those relatively-rare cover materials sure catch the eye, Alan! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Thanks pal, three very handsome knives there :) :thumbsup:
Carrying these two today :) :thumbsup:
Thanks, Jack. :) Stellar stag HHB and that 3-blade linesman's jack is notable! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

... As always. Been in the pocket everyday for a year and 9 months.
I sure like the color and the checkered jigging on that knife, and I admire your commitment to it! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: 1 blade or 2?

5K Qs 5K Qs - Each one of your knives is nicer than the one before.
Thanks for the kind words, Harvey. :) If true, the situation can't last! :eek::D
Memorable "tire tread" jigging on your venerable lambsfoot! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Congrats, Shawn! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Thank you, Gary! No prejudice against spey blades from me. IMHO, a stockman must have one and the one on the Case 6347 is particularly nice.

You posted a nice set of knives today. The cotton sampler is an unusual looking knife; I've read about them but I don't think I've seen one here.
I like your Day's Work TC Barlow(s?) with the spey main blade, too! :thumbsup::cool:
If you hang out in the Rough Rider thread, I think you'll find that several people have picked up RR's large and/or small cotton samplers.

Here are the knives I carried on my hike today.

Scratted TC Barlow photographed in the middle of a local stream bed; the water is really low.
Hard work with my Victorinox Farmer (thank you, Gary!) Really, I did not cut down that tree with my tiny saw. :)
WWII era Camillus pearl whittler, with nail file.
Striking trio of travelers, Dean! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks; it is burgundy linen micarta , GT. Old pic:

View attachment 1191442

Really like it. I’ve mentioned before here, people acquire duplicates of the same knife for various reasons. This is the only dupe (model, covers, etc) that I now have because I like them so much. I did not want to be without should something happen. Not sure if they’ll be made again.

Seems to me these were also in stock for a little while - did not sell out in under 5 mins. Derrick’s disclaimer at the time about blade rub may have steered some people away. Was slight on the user, now the blades are patina’d.
Thanks for the interesting extra info about your Presidential! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

The Northwoods Presidential is one of the very few Northwoods knives that has had great appeal to me. I think they were produced before my time here though. Wonderful looking knives and they often elicit adoration from me whenever I see them posted here.
Totally agree, Dylan. ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: I've thought of starting a thread to see what knives strike people the way you've described. Jigged bone Waynorth Lambsfoot and ebony Churchill are a couple of others that cause my heart to skip a beat when I see photos! :rolleyes: Recent examples follow from Taylor and @scrteened porch, although the Churchill is obviously not ebony.
Been carrying this and using it quite a bit lately.
View attachment 1191507
This one still.

This one just came in the mail and went straight into my pocket... after 30 minutes of admiring it. :D
Congrats on the handsome jack, John! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Today, I went to my folks to do their mowing. I had already planned to take both Grandpa’s old, well worn Camillus along with the one I just acquired to carry to show Mom. And she showed me a couple of mementos she’d made a small display of~ his old Sunday dress up felt hat, and a photo of him wearing it.

So, inspired by @Anothername sticking faithfully with one good knife, I took these photos of the first One Knife Man I ever knew along with his knife. I would bet that knife was in his pocket when he posed for the picture, because I never saw him without it.
Still miss you, Grandpa.
View attachment 1191539 View attachment 1191540
Thanks for sharing that story, Jeff; touching post! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

GEC osage moose and a RR bone stockman. I did a quick aging job on the stockman's white bone scales with some dye
as an experiment. I kinda like the way it turned out.View attachment 1191587
Feeling pretty pleased with myself for pulling off my first successful bone dyeing job....
Cool dye jobs on the white bone sowbelly and the "tailgate" mini trapper! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Willing to share a brief description of your procedure?

- GT

Brown bone bonanza, Ron!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

That's a slender splendid knife, and I've enjoyed reading the answers to your question! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks, Vince. :) The cotton sampler I posted is actually bone dyed and jigged to resemble ram's horn. I have some of those Marbles ram's horn models (sowbelly stockman, canoe, Barlow) and their covers are genuine ram's horn.

I hope you and everyone along the Atlantic coast of USA come through the storm with no "personal injury or property damage" (as the insurance folks put it). :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Colorful and commendable couple of folders, Steve! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Those relatively-rare cover materials sure catch the eye, Alan! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Thanks, Jack. :) Stellar stag HHB and that 3-blade linesman's jack is notable! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

I sure like the color and the checkered jigging on that knife, and I admire your commitment to it! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: 1 blade or 2?

Thanks for the kind words, Harvey. :) If true, the situation can't last! :eek::D
Memorable "tire tread" jigging on your venerable lambsfoot! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Congrats, Shawn! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I like your Day's Work TC Barlow(s?) with the spey main blade, too! :thumbsup::cool:
If you hang out in the Rough Rider thread, I think you'll find that several people have picked up RR's large and/or small cotton samplers.

Thanks for the interesting extra info about your Presidential! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Totally agree, Dylan. ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: I've thought of starting a thread to see what knives strike people the way you've described. Jigged bone Waynorth Lambsfoot and ebony Churchill are a couple of others that cause my heart to skip a beat when I see photos! :rolleyes: Recent examples follow from Taylor and @scrteened porch, although the Churchill is obviously not ebony.

Congrats on the handsome jack, John! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks for sharing that story, Jeff; touching post! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Cool dye jobs on the white bone sowbelly and the "tailgate" mini trapper! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Willing to share a brief description of your procedure?

- GT
Thanks Gary, we just got allot of rain overnight and few tree limbs down. Power went out at 4:30 am came back on today at 11:20 am, so all good there. I didn't need a canoe to get me out of any trouble ;)

Totally agree, Dylan. ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: I've thought of starting a thread to see what knives strike people the way you've described. Jigged bone Waynorth Lambsfoot and ebony Churchill are a couple of others that cause my heart to skip a beat when I see photos!

- GT
As it happens I'm carrying two knives again today that have struck me that way when I seen others post them. One is the Case canoe, and the knife that was posted that gave me that twinkle in my eye was yours GT, I thought the deep blade etch of the Indian was the bees knees. The other I'm afraid I cant pinpoint the exact person or knife,although it may have been @Duckdog that posted a one armed barlow with stepped bolsters that I thought was really cool. When I saw a nice example in a case at the antique mall my heart skipped a beat. Anyways heres a reused pic
Pvy3YBr.jpg

@JJ Cahill - Thank you JJ. Showing a trio of beauties today. Actually, you show great knives every day.

Jack Black Jack Black - That HHB is something else, Jack.:thumbsup:

Two for today. The first is a Buckshot Bone Rough Rider. Newly acquired.
22F18123-1DC8-4919-A172-7CAF1F235009_zps94udfvcy.jpeg

A. Wright Senator with a sample of an incredibly delicious confetti cake.
View attachment 1191966

Thank you very much Harvey, I love that cake shot! :D :) Handsome RR too :) :thumbsup:

That's a great photo of your Barlow, Jack. Is that a local canal in the background?

Thanks a lot Dean, yes, it's the Leeds-Liverpool canal at Skipton on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales national park :) I have walked all the Yorkshire section :thumbsup:

For Friday, one old friend and one new one.

My long time friend, Uncle Henry 897 stockman. I've had this one since 1985.

I got this one today, a Case Sowbelly Jack in CV and yellow synthetic.

A stylish pair my friend :) :thumbsup:

Thanks pal :) :thumbsup:

- GT

Thank you, Gary!

Thanks a lot Dean, yes, it's the Leeds-Liverpool canal at Skipton on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales national park :) I have walked all the Yorkshire section :thumbsup:

A stylish pair my friend :) :thumbsup:

Thank you, Jack!

Back