What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Last edited:
@JJ Cahill - Thank you JJ. Wonderful pair of Swiss Slicers.:thumbsup:

sunknife sunknife - Those beaded pouches brought back fond memories of family car trips out west and beaded belts, not to mention later 60s flower child apparel.

Thanks Harvey. The proprietor of the store where I purchased those said that they were made in the 60's for the tourist trade. He had boxes of them and was closing down the store at that time. Wish I had picked up more than the two.:)

Took this one yesterday afternoon. Packing the same Case again today.

large.jpg

Last edited:
Amir Fleschwund Amir Fleschwund I like the access relief you made for the pen on your what must be a 33OT.
And I like the knife too, a tad small maybe, but as I heard someone here say "a great do everything knife".

You’re correct in that it is indeed a 33OT,
but that notch is how it came from the factory. I bought it at a hardware store back in the ‘70s. It, and a 293Y Schrade Trapper were my only two pocket knives for a couple of decades. Constant companions.
At about 3 3/16, it’s a tad small but thick enough for a sure grip. Same frame as their #1 seller of all time, the 34OT Medium Stockman, I believe.

I like this knife, in fact I just bought a Schrade 233 jack on the bay- same basically, but with their older brown jigged delrin. Should be here in a few days.
Nice Stockman you’re totin today!

Edit: Nice Camillus jack, not stockman! Beautifully shaped clip main. Did you cut the notch, or was it stock?

Last edited:
I grabbed this Myers 77 melon tester last night to shave some lemon zest for a Martini or two. It felt so fine in hand and looked so elegant with the cocktail that I decided to tote it all day today. I did get a raised eyebrow from a buddy as we were sitting around a little while ago smoking cigars - I pulled it out to nip the end of a cigar that was shorter than the 4.25" blade.

tlISKdN.jpg

7vMDDex.jpg

Gpetfsb.jpg

- Stuart

That pearl pen is a stunner, Nick! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Carried this olive wood handled Maserin lock back today.View attachment 1195950
That handle has my full attention! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

2013 Ebony Workhorse for today's carry:thumbsup:
Exceptional knife, Paul! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks Gary!!! You have quite an outstanding line up today; you're S&M 99 is the icing on the cake!;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
I'm grateful for your daily praise, JJ. :)

Toting a couple of Case knives today; the most recent CV Barlow and a bare head jack from the 70s. :)
Standout bone on both of those, JJ! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: Exquisite jigging on the old Case, and such uniformly rich brown all the way to the bolster on the new Barlow! (I went to a Master Dealer on the way to vacation in early August specifically to pick out one like yours without the "color fade", but ended up buying the only brown saw cut they had left. Best laid plans ... :rolleyes:)

Because today is Saturday, a good day to all.
Today with one of these Portuguese in stag.:):thumbsup:
Lovely trio of "native" knives in stag, José; I especially like the "blade artwork" on the knives at each end! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks GT! Love that Ebony S&M!:thumbsup:

Going to carry this Elderberry Camel bone 77 while anticipating my new Amber sawcut's arrival.:cool:
Thanks for saying so, Mark. :)
Cool camel bone Northfield Barlow, and congrats on the incoming new model! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Black Stallion and a Case 1/2 whittler that I recently got off of the exchange in a lot.
Didn't care for the bright orange so I gave it a potassium permanganate treatment.
That whittler you treated looks great, Steve! :cool::thumbsup::cool: (Although with Halloween a month and a half away, that would have made a killer black/orange pairing. :D)

View attachment 1196142 View attachment 1196135

This was a very early GEC 78 SFO for Jack Sparrow.
:D:D
That's an awesome scrimshaw example, Leslie Tomville Leslie Tomville ! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Might I have seen that woman's work on Etsy, on Rough Riders? Do you have another scene on the other side?

I'm carrying my avatar today: the photogenic Ancient sawcut TC Barlow.
As always, Ancient and Honorable, Dean! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

That I*XL lambsfoot is praiseworthy, Harvey; congrats!!! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

W. Saynor stagalicious

14805930363_6ba61769b2_b.jpg
They don't do stag like that any more, Gev! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
(I wonder if the deer even grow antlers like that any more?? :rolleyes:)

I’m carrying my Ebony #35 Churchill and my Sambar Ashley’s Choice Lambsfoot today! :D :thumbsup:
W:eek:W! Each of you has a chart-topping pair, Ron & David!! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

I’ve finally decided to put this one into rotation. It’s probably not a very wise move, using such a nice example, but it’s my favorite pattern, in my favorite covers, so what the heck? Now that it’s going in the pocket, I suspect it will be a while before it leaves...
View attachment 1196366
Case 5332
What the heck, indeed??!? ;):cool::thumbsup: I'll bet you enjoy it much more using it than you did just admiring it on the shelf!

I finished assembling the SwissTank Mk II today.
That's really impressive, Buzz, and I admire how excited you are about it! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Have another pair of Personal Favorites with me today .
...IMHO , 2 of GEC's finest .

Harry
Glorious pair, Harry, with beautiful bone on each!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Great shots of your two stag covered beauties Gary!;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks for that, JJ. :)

I'm going with these two Sunday Swiss slicers, both from Wenger.:)
Fascinating pair, JJ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I have quite a few SAKs, but only one is a Wenger; I know almost nothing about them, compared to Victorinox.

Fantastic pics Gary :) :thumbsup:
Thanks, Jack. :)

Hope everyone has a great weekend, I'll have these two with me, for Saturday, at least :) :thumbsup:
Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend, and that you enjoy your Sunday :) Rather lazily, I have just stuffed these two in my pockets again ;) :thumbsup:
Your stag HHB and ebony gunstock make a fantastic pair, Jack! :cool::cool::thumbsup: If that ebony knife keeps showing up so frequently, we may have to start calling you Gunstock Jack! ;) Oh, wait, that name is already taken!! :D

Carried my '19 Ironwood LF on a trip to visit family.
c9NXdhI.jpg

QeSO1Gx.jpg
That's professional quality photography, Mark!! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: (At least to an amateur like me. ;))

In addition to the knives prescribed by my rotation schedule, and my 4 literal EDCs, I'll sometimes carry one or two "free choice" knives that I just have a yearning to carry. Last week I carried an old Belknap Blue Grass Barlow and a new Case brown sawcut bone CV Barlow, just because they seemed so similar to me. This week, the Blue Grass Barlow is actually my Miscellaneous Knife of the Week, and I'm still carrying the Case as "free choice". (I've only had the Case for about a month and a half.)
pair.mark.Vmain.post.jpg

- GT

In addition to the knives prescribed by my rotation schedule, and my 4 literal EDCs, I'll sometimes carry one or two "free choice" knives that I just have a yearning to carry. Last week I carried an old Belknap Blue Grass Barlow and a new Case brown sawcut bone CV Barlow, just because they seemed so similar to me. This week, the Blue Grass Barlow is actually my Miscellaneous Knife of the Week, and I'm still carrying the Case as "free choice". (I've only had the Case for about a month and a half.)
pair-mark-vmain-post-jpg.1197712
Gary thanks as usual for the compliments my friend! :) Very nice Barlow’s my friend! :thumbsup:

I always enjoy your photos of your woodworker's bench, tools, and projects, but I'm stumped. Umbrella/cane stand? Firewood rack?
And nice job with the layout ~getting those holes marked correctly was impressive. Where did you salvage the iron bands from?

72 again. In my opinion, a perfect pattern.
Made even more perfect by that gorgeous Rogers bone. And zero sharpening loss!

Ulster Jack and a Calf Roper today

km9CbpB.jpg

You carry and show the Ulster quite often, and I gotta tell you, I love looking at it. Love that Roger's bone!

Two jacks today, Texas & Harness.View attachment 1197581
Another pair of great jacks. The redbone is spectacular!
I grabbed this Myers 77 melon tester last night to shave some lemon zest for a Martini or two. It felt so fine in hand and looked so elegant with the cocktail that I decided to tote it all day today. I did get a raised eyebrow from a buddy as we were sitting around a little while ago smoking cigars - I pulled it out to nip the end of a cigar that was shorter than the 4.25" blade.

tlISKdN.jpg

7vMDDex.jpg

Gpetfsb.jpg

- Stuart
Very svelte and classy. Of what is it hafted? I see layers...

Other than it's length, it's hard to imagine it alarming anyone. Next time you prepare your cigar, whip out one of those huge folding hunters you've got.

I have quite a few SAKs, but only one is a Wenger; I know almost nothing about them, compared to Victorinox.

View attachment 1197712

- GT

Man, I came close to seriously bidding on a Blue Grass barlow a year or so ago, but it seemed like a few guys wanted it real bad, and I shuffled off in shame. You've got a lovely example of the breed! And good job on hand selecting the new Case. I like it.

Regarding Wenger, I like them. My first SAK was a Vik, the real big one ~ same model Buzzbait is currently breaking in. My then girlfriend, now wife found it laying on the sidewalk in the Quad at UI and gave it to me. Of course, I knew right then that she was the ONE! I eventually ended up with a bunch of Victorinoxes, but after getting my first Wenger, realized I prefer them a little more. There is more belly to the spear main (more attractive,imo).
The "regular" sized ones are slightly shorter than Vics, but their keychain SAK, the Esquire, is bigger than the Vic Classic. There are other reasons I like Wengers, not the least of which is rooting for the underdog. A Wenger Handyman is always in my left pocket, as well as the little Esquire that's on my spare keys in the same pocket. (Yes~I NEVER leave home without a set of backup car and front door keys in my left pocket- Old habit from having once locked my keys in my car on the south side of Chicago while making a sales call)

I understand that for decades, it was official Swiss policy to evenly contract with both companies in an effort to keep them both viable. But economies of scale and mass marketing took their toll, and Victorinox bought Wenger out a few years ago. I think the Wengers made after the acquisition are known as Wenger Delemont, denoting where they are made. Or do I have that backwards?

I always enjoy your photos of your woodworker's bench, tools, and projects, but I'm stumped. Umbrella/cane stand? Firewood rack?
And nice job with the layout ~getting those holes marked correctly was impressive. Where did you salvage the iron bands from?
I would venture to guess, its for a cider press! Having ground and pressed allot of apples as a kid, I've seen those before ;) Its just about that time of year....another thing of my childhood I now miss. Like the smell of freshly sawn and split redoak and hickory, nothing like smell of a fresh cord of hardwood. Aw jeez now I'm being all nostalgic and rambling....:D

Back