What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

I've been carrying my Stockyard Whittler daily for about a month now. It's a great medium-sized knife with all I need: a clip blade, a straight edged blade, and a pointy-scrapey tool for anything I don't want to hurt a blade edge on. Of course, being a knife-knut, it isn't all about need. :D

Today, I'm also carrying a Lambsfoot big-un and a cute little teeny-tiny Cattaraugus penknife in mother of pearl.

2eKUrUy.jpg

itzpdxB.jpg

My eccentric uncle once ran out of shaving foam- nothing coming out, not even a hiss. He figured there must be a little left in there, and stuck one of those old triangular can openers into the can. There was a lot left in there, very briefly.

Here are some possibilities for tomorrow: Colonial, Camco, Utica.
153GSXe.jpg

Last edited:
Camillus US Air Corp Utility and a #43

VpPEcTM.jpg
Got a couple of old High Carbon brand Craftsman knives today. View attachment 1197948View attachment 1197952
Really nice knives Steve and Jeff!

I watched the movie, Hugo, last night (the movie is set in 1931); about 5 minutes into the movie a Barlow appeared. So, I decided to carry my own I*XL Barlow today.

Hugo photo

My knife
Lovely barlow! The warm color of the bone is just soothing.

I've been carrying my Stockyard Whittler daily for about a month now. It's a great medium-sized knife with all I need: a clip blade, a straight edged blade, and a pointy-scrapey tool for anything I don't want to hurt a blade edge on. Of course, being a knife-knut, it isn't all about need. :D

Today, I'm also carrying a Lambsfoot big-un and a cute little teeny-tiny Cattaraugus penknife in mother of pearl.

2eKUrUy.jpg

itzpdxB.jpg
All 3 are nice but I really like that little MOP Catt!

35 Churchill, a hard working sturdy user knife.View attachment 1198162
Nice knife sir!!

Peanut of the Week: Case chestnut jigged bone CV peanut:
View attachment 1198243

- GT
Thanks Gary for making me realize I don’t have a Case peanut and that I need one!:D

Same as yesterday.

My eccentric uncle once ran out of shaving foam- nothing coming out, not even a hiss. He figured there must be a little left in there, and stuck one of those old triangular can openers into the can. There was a lot left in there, very briefly.

153GSXe.jpg
Great story! :D

Your story reminds me of my Dad trying to light our gas furnace in the winter of 1978. Instead of paying $25.00 and having the gas company do it the next day, he got a coat hanger, scotch tape and some stick matches. He ended up with NO arm hair or eyebrows and the outline of his head/back/behind in the drywall. Final cost about $120.00, but my Dad without eyebrows for two weeks -- Priceless! :p:p

2eKUrUy.jpg

itzpdxB.jpg
Real nice triplets, my friend. You remind me of one reason I love my TL-29s. That heavy duty, high angle edge on the screwdriver blade is incredibly useful for the rough stuff.

View attachment 1198212
Getting ready to move, headed to Eugene.
Aw man, makes me tired just thinking about it. Good luck!

Thanks! Old can of Barbasol. Haven't shaved in two or three years.
I knew there was something I like about you, my bearded brother!

153GSXe.jpg
See, there are scientifically proven reasons not to shave.
I was going to vote for the Utica, but that long pull on the Camco!

Shaving trivia: being a total cheapskate, I discovered that hair conditioner makes a superior shaving cream. Then once, while passing time with the septic service guy while he sucked out our tank, he pointed out the whitish gray stuff in the very bottom...yep hair conditioner. The guy told me it is about the only thing that people put down the drain that does not break down. Now the girls don’t use it, and I gave up the barbaric practice of scraping hair off my face.
Really nice knives Steve and Jeff!

Same as yesterday.
Thanks, Nick!
And thanks for another view of that lovely 72 Whittler!
I will tote one of mine in delrin tomorrow, and dream of Rogers bone.

Last edited:
@JJ Cahill - Thank you JJ. Your reservation is set. Love that GEC 44 and Case 6347.

@Jack Black - Thank you Jack. Love that Winchester with that beautiful shield. The same goes for the HH Barlow.

DelOro DelOro - Yummy looking waffles, Del.

5K Qs 5K Qs - Thank you GT. What I lack monetarily has been more than adequately compensated in experiences.:) Wouldn’t trade one for the other. Wild about your Joker.

FDEB6386-DA89-46A5-A32B-8E2303231A97.jpeg

0EF62A58-36A5-40C2-9371-A53F5494BB60.jpeg

I knew there was something I like about you, my bearded brother!
I've actually had a beard for about twenty years. A couple of years ago, I shaved. Shocked my family. My daughter had never seen me without a beard (except in old photos). I shaved every day for about eleven months and then grew the beard back. It feels right, although I love splashing on some Aqua Velva after a shave!

I'm trying to catch up, so first with thanks to all y'all for the kind compliments on my sporadic posts:

Nice Queens ! I'm totin' a #10 today :thumbsup:

Wow Stuart, those are a couple of black beauty Queens for the Friday the 13th; they look like museum level pieces!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks.

Stuart, it’s good to see a Rem 1100 with a wood stock. Seems this day and age you hardly see them getting used.

I’m loving it all Stuart! :thumbsup: The 1100, the knives and the quality time with your son! It doesn’t get much better my friend! :thumbsup: :cool:

Thanks. The 1100 is from 1979 and is in very fine condition. When I got it, it had a 30" fixed FULL choke barrel, which is of little use to me. I put a new 28" vent rib barrel on it and got some Carlson chokes. Old school fixed up.

D Duckdog - Gorgeous Parker, Stuart.

Welcome back, and that Parker makes quite a splash for your return! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks.

Very svelte and classy. Of what is it hafted? I see layers...

Other than it's length, it's hard to imagine it alarming anyone. Next time you prepare your cigar, whip out one of those huge folding hunters you've got.

I was admiring that knife in the other thread Stuart :) :thumbsup:

Marvelous melon tester, Stuart! :cool::thumbsup::cool: I'm not familiar with Myers; is the tang stamp some kind of sunburst icon?

Thanks. Jeff, I see the layers, too. It looks to be a laminated synthetic material that has been sanded down. The color is uniform on the edges with thin parallel lines that suggest lamination. I actually don't know. GT, Goins and Levine don't seem to be familiar with Myers, either. Yes, the tang stamp is a sunburst/rising sun. It really is a fun knife to tote.

Terrific Toothpicks, Stuart. I only have one and I have a question: What do you think of the Case fisherman's knife?

Dean, I'm not sure that it is a Case, but, at 4.25", it is too large to be a Western or KaBar, which also made knives for L.L. Bean, but were 5". Its size would fit into Case's 093, 094, and 0094 patterns, though most of them had the rounded hook sharpener and I haven't seen any Cases with the old style liner lock that mine has. I have two of them and this one is the user. Easy to sharpen, good cap lifter, solid lock. I prefer fixed blade knives for fishing, but this one and the Zebco 33 were perfect for pond fishing on the spur of the moment.
- Stuart

Back