What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

This just in off the exchange, a few licks with stone and stick, and into the pocket it went. Thanks again, Colin!

VOdcRVU.jpg

9AfHBmk.jpg
What perfection...wow !!

Been pretty sick lately and have neglected this thread, but the Texas jack was in my pocket when I got sick and I just never thought to pick something else.
It's getting a lot more patina now with all the extra fruit I've eaten'.

You selected a fine knife to carry. Hope you’re on the mend and it’s nothing serious:thumbsup:

It was a fair weather and light duty day here today so my tote was an elder whom I discovered a day or so ago while clearing out some boxes. He's slim and light and has a main sharper than a light saber, although one blade is subdued (still razor sharp) and another resists being raised up into the light: an H. Böker &Co. Improved Cutlery pen (1869-1914). He did all that I asked of him (cigar nip, loose thread, an envelope or three).

Jt9Hu2Z.jpg

KUslIL3.jpg

- Stuart

That's a nicely varied trio, Rachel! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: I like the Casper the Friendly Ghost patina on the #29, and that little MOP is the Catt's meow!
Thanks, GT. "Casper the Friendly Ghost" :D It's interesting how if a blob of mustard or lemon juice sits on a blade for a little while, the steel will patina an outline of the blob. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the liquid blocking air from oxidizing the steel except on the edges where the acid and oxygen are both present...

Thanks for the Imperial BSA compliment. That's one of the few knives I have that I don't think I've ever used. Contrast it to this white Imperial BSA that r8shell r8shell gave me recently that I've been using in the kitchen quite often:
white-bsa-mark-vflat-etch-jpg.1199247
I'm glad you're getting some use out of it. The other day I went to open a can of olives and realized my can opener was all rusty and cruddy (it's hard to clean under the little wheel thingy) so I just started using the can opener on my GSA knife, so it's living in the kitchen now. :):thumbsup:
J5WOudp.jpg

It was a fair weather and light duty day here today so my tote was an elder whom I discovered a day or so ago while clearing out some boxes. He's slim and light and has a main sharper than a light saber, although one blade is subdued (still razor sharp) and another resists being raised up into the light: an H. Böker &Co. Improved Cutlery pen (1869-1914). He did all that I asked of him (cigar nip, loose thread, an envelope or three).

Jt9Hu2Z.jpg

KUslIL3.jpg

- Stuart
Nice!! That looks like a fine scalpel. :thumbsup:

That sounds like a more than satisfactory life summary, Harvey! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
I'm totally onboard with your assessment of the Joker. :)
Splendid Joseph Rodgers shadow lambsfoot!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Harvey, I'm always dumbstruck by the detail in your photos! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup: They always show things that I've never seen with my (somewhat myopic) naked eyes!

View attachment 1199247

- GT
Thank you GT. Love that BSA. Scouts Honor!

Happy Thursday, folks.

In anticipation of a new addition today, I've gathered a few red sawcuts together. It is one of my favorite cover materials and it's a real pity I do not have more. I may have to resolve myself to the hunt in the not so distant future. I've always been one to be content with what I can acquire and do not waste much time and thought on potential pipe dreams. That said, I may need to give one element of my collection a bit of a purposeful goal. GEC makes some fine sawcut, particularly in red.

V5Cpbv0.jpg
Fine Red Sawcuts Dylan . Good luck on your quest for more my friend .
If you don't mind , some incentive pictures for you .

Harry

Nice!! That looks like a fine scalpel. :thumbsup:

Thank, r8shell. I thought thought that you might have some affinity for that broken, but unyielding old knife. I thought of your clan when I found it.

New guest in the house this week . She is a very nice guest .

Fine Red Sawcuts Dylan . Good luck on your quest for more my friend .
If you don't mind , some incentive pictures for you .

Your guest stole my heart, Harry (let's not tell Loki). Thanks for sharing your red bone riches (which I hope that you are not totin' en masse). I've shown your picture to a couple of mine and scolded them soundly for their failure to "keep up standards".
- Stuart

Thank, r8shell. I thought thought that you might have some affinity for that broken, but unyielding old knife. I thought of your clan when I found it.

Your guest stole my heart, Harry (let's not tell Loki). Thanks for sharing your red bone riches (which I hope that you are not totin' en masse). I've shown your picture to a couple of mine and scolded them soundly for their failure to "keep up standards".
- Stuart
Thank you very much Stuart . There is talk that our house guest is leaving Sunday but may not until next Friday .

Harry

Some outstanding Pen knives today JJ! :thumbsup: :cool:
Thank you Ron!!!:D
Spending a lot of time with this one lately.
iUf8ISx.jpg
That snakewood looks outstanding; great shot too!:thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
Thank you JJ. I’ve developed a fondness for pen knives. Those two are exquisite.
Newly acquired.
b698bf70-0f0b-4c62-bed7-eedca612987d-jpeg.1199088
Thanks Harvey; they certainly disappear in the pocket!:)
Your new Yankee Barlow looks amazing; wonderful pattern!:thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
Thanks, JJ. You know that when I look at our posts and consider the age of the knives therein, I get the funny feeling that I'm in a time warp.
I can definitely relate; seems like the easiest way to time travel!:eek:
Your Boker is certainly an excellent example of a 100 year old slicer!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:
My most treasured knife. A clamshell stag teardrop that John Lloyd made for me. It's one of a pair.
img_1041-852x823-jpg.1199165
It's certainly quite the unique beauty; two must certainly double the pleasure!:rolleyes::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Appealing pair, JJ; I really like the way GEC's Osage Orange ages! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
Thanks Gary; I agree this should really look cool in a few years!:cool:
Thanks for the tang stamp info, JJ. So the 6347 sometimes has a different blade combo than the clip/sheep/spey (which is the only blade trio I've seen on that pattern in my brief "knife life")?
Thanks for the Imperial BSA compliment. That's one of the few knives I have that I don't think I've ever used. Contrast it to this white Imperial BSA that r8shell r8shell gave me recently that I've been using in the kitchen quite often:
white-bsa-mark-vflat-etch-jpg.1199247
Certainly! I believe that pattern also came with pen or awl blades, as well. I don't recall seeing a white covered Imperial BSA; very cool one!:thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
The Sutra

32652417830_1329bb2368_b.jpg
Wonderful old Remington Barlow Gev; the legend lives on!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
This thread moves a lot faster than I do these days! :eek:

Great-looking GSA knife Rachel, glad you have one :) :thumbsup:

For my Friday totes I'll have a couple Keen Kutter black composite slicers that look to be made on the same production runs as the first Camillus BSA scout in 1946-49; a jack and a stock knife.:D

1st Camillus BSA scout.

Very nice indeed :thumbsup:

Morning folks, hope everyone has had a decent week, the weekend is almost here :) Carrying these two today :thumbsup:

aAlBpv9.jpg

pH0sHUG.jpg

View attachment 1199035 View attachment 1199036 Hmm. Talk like a pirate?
How about...I don’t believe that flat earth stuff, but just in case, you get up in that crows nest and sing out if you see the edge. Fall asleep, and you’ll walk the plank. Stay awake, and there’ll be an extra ration of rum for ya. Argh.
I get warm all over when I see your TL-29. For some reason it is in my mind that I had one back in my Army days and that's going back to 65-68. I know I had one somewhere along the line, maybe even before that. The mind is a terrible thing to loose. "Of all the things I lost in life, I miss my mind the most."

Back