What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

I woodn't miss the opportunity to tote this ebony clad Ulster serpentine jack (1876-1941) on a Wednesday, wood you?

lnHi7TW.jpg

yxBzWpc.jpg

- Stuart
Looks like a great knife that somebody carried much and cared for well.

Two wood covered old workhorses for my Wednesday totes; a pre WWII Ulster TL-29 and a tough old Cattaraugus, both in Cocobolo.:)

Great picture of some fine knives, JJ, as you don't get to see the grain in cocobolo very often. Impressive.

Outstanding photo Stuart :) :thumbsup:

Thanks, Jack, and some very handsome old Blackwell and Rodgers totes that you have today.

Today, I will enjoy these old girls...View attachment 1214070Camillus TL-29 in cocobolo, and a High Carbon Cattle knife made by Camillus for Sears in bone.
View attachment 1214071

Lovelies, Jeff.

I know it’s Wooden Wednesday, but I’ve got the next best thing.....Sambar Stag! :D:thumbsup:

A very suitable substitute, Ron. Thanks for bringing the Nationals enough luck to get through the NLCS on a sweep.

Trapper and a Cigar jack

PyuYsBKh.jpg

That's a smokin' cigar, Steve (and a nice pic of two fine knives).

Yep, that's the ticket, Paul.

This one just came to me in yesterday's mail, an ebony handed, pre-1940 E. C. Simmons Hardware "Keen Kutter" regular jack. After seeing all the nice, vintage ebony handled knives here on the Traditional Forum, I started looking for something that was similar to what I was seeing - finally found one. This one has my favorite main, a Clip, and great snapping half-stop blades. OH
E-C-Simmons-Keen-Kutter-3-1-2-Regular-Jack.jpg

Bruce, your stirring post inspired my tote today. Thanks, and congratulations of a good "get".

Albert Oates, Sheffield.
View attachment 1214234

Exquisite, Harvey!

Wet and rainy day, so I've got some bone-covered, stainless Case knives with me today.

00100l-PORTRAIT-00100-BURST20191016083216753-COVER-2.jpg

Sublime trapper and peanut, Shawn. Very luscious looking picture.

I've had this one a while but first time carrying today. My only bone handled knife but it's a good one!
View attachment 1214476

And that's a fine knife, Jason.

I wood knot! :D

m6SBLb7.png

Maserin lockback hunter with olive woodView attachment 1214494 and a Case 6318 stockman with pocket worn burnt brown jig bone.

Both are beauties.

Looks like a great knife that somebody carried much and cared for well.

My feelings, too, Jeff. I have real duty to care for it and use it.

- Stuart

Thank you JJ, there's another great-looking pair you have there :) :thumbsup:
Thank you kind Sir!!!
Morning folks, hope everyone is having a good week :) Raining hard here today :( Toting a couple of oldies, from Alfred Blackwell and Joseph Rodgers :thumbsup:

81FeDMA.jpg

e7YwNKx.jpg
You really have two stupendous Sheffield slicers from the golden age; the J Rodgers stamped blade is very cool!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Great shot of your lamb Dave; it looks like wonderful morning light!:):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Setting out with a Lagioule today, in honor of our Parisian friends who took us to a knife show not long ago!!:D
honore-durand-beads-jpg.1214203
I'm a huge fan of the French cutlers and your Durand Laguiole looks lovely!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:
My contribution to Wooden Wednesday

u9EohSY.jpg
Great shot of your wood covered toothpick Joel; the jigging is marvelous!:):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thank you JJ. Those two look like excellent stalwart companions.
Albert Oates, Sheffield.
2799c238-f6a6-4d00-981f-5599720e4a1d-jpeg.1214234
Thank you Harvey!!! Another supremely impressive lambfoot you have today; very cool shot too!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
This one just came to me in yesterday's mail, an ebony handed, pre-1940 E. C. Simmons Hardware "Keen Kutter" regular jack. After seeing all the nice, vintage ebony handled knives here on the Traditional Forum, I started looking for something that was similar to what I was seeing - finally found one. This one has my favorite main, a Clip, and great snapping half-stop blades. OH
E-C-Simmons-Keen-Kutter-3-1-2-Regular-Jack.jpg
Your old KK has phenomenal ebony covers; EC certainly knew how to pick extraordinary cutlers!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:
I woodn't miss the opportunity to tote this ebony clad Ulster serpentine jack (1876-1941) on a Wednesday, wood you?

lnHi7TW.jpg
Stunning old Ulster jack Stuart; those pre WWII Ulsters are certainly special!:):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Happy birthday to me!
20191016_204346-jpg.1214557
Happy Birthday MrsR&T MrsR&T !!! A wonderful slicer to cut your splendid cake!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Great picture of some fine knives, JJ, as you don't get to see the grain in cocobolo very often. Impressive.
Thank you Stuart!!! There's definitely something about those wonderful old woods!;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Well, I'm less than a week behind. Could be worse! :rolleyes:
That's the one, GT! That blonde-horn Joker is a looker!
Oh, man, what a tough choice! ;) I believe the models I ogled were NA111 and NA112, which look to be the two that you've posted, although your's may be the larger versions. I think I've settled on the lockback version hoping for a lighter pull. Could you shed some light on that for me? Is the pull on the lockback significantly lighter than the slipjoint?
Thanks for the compliment, Shawn. :) The two horn Jokers I posted are models NA111 and NA112, about 3.25" closed. The lockback does have a lighter pull than does the slipjoint, but the slipjoint has a light pull itself, maybe a 3-4 if a SAK is 5. You wouldn't have to fight to open either one, and the lockback locks up solid.

Jeff, I'm enjoying your fall photos with the little pumpkins, squashes, gourds, leaves setting off your fine knives! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Good looking knives, Gary. Thank you for your compliments. :)

Regarding Chef Boyardee pizza. That is a memory I had completely sublimated until your post dredged it up. :(:( That is what I thought pizza was for many years; I'm glad I learned what the real stuff is like!! :D
Thanks, Dean. :) Yes, that was bad pizza. The tomato paste that was spread over the cracker-like crust was gross! :(

Faux stag for Stag Saturday. Case bonestag peanut and Schrade USA staglon premium stockman.
Joseph Rodgers Bexoid Lamb, etc.
Dean & Harvey, I have a "soft spot" for faux stag, maybe because my first knife was a Colonial scout knife with black plastic covers molded to have the texture of stag. So your bonestag, staglon, and Bexoid knives look fantastic to me! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

5K Qs 5K Qs
Lol GT, but I gotta say they're all three tied for gold imho.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::)

SW 856 and an old PAL today
Your pair of aces wins, Steve! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks, GT. That orange bone jack is a little Keen Kutter, originally in bad celluloid. @Markesharp rehandled it and gave it to me. Thanks, Mark!
That's my point. The cartoon didn't have one, but most kids I've known act somewhere in the middle ground between angel and sociopath. :D
Thanks for the info on that sweet Keen Kutter jack, Rachel! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
Yeah, I just wondered what name the "middle ground" kid would have if included in the cartoon; something like Gudenov (good enough ;)), maybe.

Alluring Alox, Dave! :thumbsup::cool::cool: Solo and Pioneer?

5K Qs 5K Qs - Thank you GT. The Lamb covers are Sambar. The other side is equally nice, but Different. Your Joker and Union Jack are looking mighty fine.
Two gorgeous and unusual knives, Gary; in a good way. I love the scrimshaw Rachel has done on two knives for you - such artistry! :thumbsup::thumbsup: You now have a unique trapper, too! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
5K Qs 5K Qs - Thank you GT. Your scrimshaw canoe is exquisite.

View attachment 1212340
Beautiful pair of Jokers; the slippie is my favorite!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Another couple of beauties Gary; love the wonderful transformation of your trapper and that scrimshaw is truly sublime!:rolleyes::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks for the kind words, Harvey & Dean & JJ. I really appreciate the encouragement! :)
Harvey, your triple-rattail stag lambsfoot is sublime! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

I like the looks of your Joker slip joint GT smoooth ;)

Thanks, Dave. :) It's definitely smooth, and I like the colors.
45 years ago, some people accused me of resembling John Denver! :eek::D

I’ve been carrying this pair today. A Waynorth Jigged Bone Lambsfoot and a Northfield Sambar Stag #35 Churchill. :):thumbsup:

48332462872_28b852de6c_o_d.jpg
Ron, with that pair you must be walking on air! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Since I've been fiddling with my pen knives, I decided todays totes will be a couple more from Robeson; a split back with a beefy little main blade and a sleek PocketEze.:)
Pretty pair of Robesons; that PocketEze pen is especially handsome, JJ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I always enjoy seeing that one GT :) :thumbsup:
Thanks, Jack; I admire your exquisite taste. :) I don't get a lot of positive feedback on my cracked ice Chinese Imperials, but I really like them. :thumbsup::cool:

Thanks pal, it's OK, Lucy is not in the room at the moment :D I do enjoy bread :) Sorry for the the Joker distraction ;) I like my Jokers too :) :thumbsup:
XM2UKVy.jpg

Nice Jokers, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: That olive wood model inspired me to buy one in Valencia. :thumbsup:;)
Your rosewood HHB (and the bread with it) and the pearl whittler are top-shelf! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Artistic patina!! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

g3F2GXw.jpg

Normally I try not to carry multiple knives with essentially the same blades, but these was just to fun not to pair up:D
Definitely some shared DNA in that pair, David! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

It's a wonderful piece Gary, I love it.:D:thumbsup:
Thanks, José! :)

Fine-looking stag lockback, José! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

For Sunday - mini copperhead in Navy blue bone (memories of warmer days).
Great photos of a ravishing knife, Dean! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

It's cool enough now to start wearing heavier trousers, which means larger pocket knives for me!

1 of 13 Cubans in Pond Bone
ZXK3Sl2.jpg
Jeff, that is a phenomenal cattle knife! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Dynamite Forum knife duo, Taylor! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Late posting but it's my 2012 Natural Stag Wrangler:thumbsup:
Superior knife, Paul! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Yesterday we returned from a short trip to Pigeon Forge and Nashville , Tennessee with some friends . While there we also had a visit and a dinner with @Half/Stop and his wife Pam . I also went to the nearby knife dealer and bought these 2 which I am carrying today .

Harry
Congrats on your new pair, Harry, and thanks for your reviews of them! :cool::thumbsup::cool:
That's an impressive first canoe for you; I hope you don't suffer my fate, in which one canoe repeatedly led to another until I now have dozens! :eek::p

- GT

Last edited:

lnHi7TW.jpg

yxBzWpc.jpg

- Stuart
Wowza, that's a nice find!
Yeah, I just wondered what name the "middle ground" kid would have if included in the cartoon; something like Gudenov (good enough ;)), maybe.
:D:thumbsup: I like it: "Gudenov. The normal, middle child."

RWgzWDp.jpg

Happy Thursday Folks...
Carrying this fantastic Case Medium Jack.
I'm surprised they aren't more popular, it sure is a handy little Pocket Pal.

That is probably my favorite Case pattern. I have that exact same knife. I do wish there was a larger choice of scale materials though.

Trapper and a Cigar jack

PyuYsBKh.jpg
I know you’ve got a micarta 43 just like mine, but don’t remember seeing this one. Wow-it’s great!
If I guessed that the jack is a SCCo, would I be correct?
Mother nature created a really cool knife stand for you.

My contribution to Wooden Wednesday

u9EohSY.jpg
I like your contribution! That’s a great looking knife.

ckFieGZ.jpg

A good day to all!
Great combo!

Pure class, Travis!
Wowza, that's a nice find!

:D:thumbsup: I like it: "Gudenov. The normal, middle child."

RWgzWDp.jpg
So cool, Rachell...

Already Thursday, and I haven't posted ANY of the knives I'm totin' this week! :eek::rolleyes:
I always have a Big Knife of the Week, usually something around 4" closed. This week, my "official" Big Knife is a Rough Rider Half Hawk:
halfhawk2.mark.open.jpg

But several of my other weekly categories happen to be filled by sizable knives this week, a pleasant surprise! :)
International Knife of the Week is a Mercator Black Cat:
merc.mark.V.raisedbed.jpg

Stockman of the Week is a big Chinese Imperial stockman from a set of three (thanks, Mark):
stockx3.mark.closed.jpg

My Miscellaneous knife of the Week is a Marbles Handyman's Helper II:
helper2.pile.open.jpg

My Stag/Horn Knife of the Week is a Marbles 5" leg knife:
leg.mark.closed.jpg

- GT

Back