What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

mb9IIFj.jpg

DY405zl.jpg

I’m starting to appreciate my new phones camera.

This today

Harry

After spending years accumulating many bone-handled pocketknives (while ignoring wooden handles) all of a sudden these beautiful wooden handles are catching my eye and staying in my mind - this doesn’t bode well for my hobby cash! Simply beautiful gentlemen. OH

Alox of the Week is a 1986 Soldier:
View attachment 1215618

non-Alox SAK of the Week is a Huntsman:
View attachment 1215619

Sowbelly Stockman of the Week is a Rough Rider amber jigged bone sowbelly, my first sowbelly stockman:
View attachment 1215620

Plain Canoe of the Week is a Rough Rider Masonic Canoe:
View attachment 1215623

Fancy Canoe of the Week is a red smooth bone S&M canoe (thanks, @peanutsxx):
View attachment 1215631

- GT
Nice bunch of knives you got dealt this week, GT. :cool: :thumbsup:

Trestle Pine Superior

I really enjoy your pictures. :cool: :thumbsup:

Out at the country house. Electric coffee-grinder died out, how to make coffee from beans???:eek: Found a very Traditional Old School method up in the loft...worked a treat:thumbsup::cool:

vipfwsN.jpg
I'm glad you found a way to get your coffee. Makes for a nice picture too. :cool: :thumbsup:

Gorgeous!!! :) :thumbsup:

Out at the country house. Electric coffee-grinder died out, how to make coffee from beans???:eek: Found a very Traditional Old School method up in the loft...worked a treat:thumbsup::cool:

vipfwsN.jpg

Will, I don’t drink coffee, but that has to make it taste bettero_O:thumbsup:

View attachment 1215710 Well, ain't that sweet! :rolleyes: Full blade too, and its action came back. :)
I really like that old knife.
How big is the #27 ?
They are the same, except the blades on 27s are a bit thinner than on 29s. Take them apart, and there’s no difference between springs, liners, and bolsters.
This is that knife compared to an older 4 line stamp 29~View attachment 1215785the 29 is on the left.
Here are two made much later. View attachment 1215786View attachment 1215787
More Camillus electrician trivia~ the old ones had the bail mounted forward on it’s own pin. Like this:View attachment 1215791The final version has them mounted on the spring pin at the very rear, like the previous picture.

vipfwsN.jpg
Very nice! Makes me wonder why things that work so well get set aside for something shiny and new. We recently tossed out our fancy robotic electric can opener, and went back to a SAK.
I would bust up the beans one by one with a hammer if I had to rather than go without coffee!

I love your photo style! Almost as good as drooling on it in person.

A couple of Camillus re-hung in elk antler will accompany me to the memorial of an old and very close friend, who passed due to a severe stroke at way too young of an age.
I’ll see you at the smallmouth river, Steve.

View attachment 1215797View attachment 1215798

Last edited:
After spending years accumulating many bone-handled pocketknives (while ignoring wooden handles) all of a sudden these beautiful wooden handles are catching my eye and staying in my mind - this doesn’t bode well for my hobby cash! Simply beautiful gentlemen. OH
Thank you very much Bruce . In 2014 when I started to collect Barlows I saw that Taylor's Eye Witness made and sold Barlows with Desert Ironwood and Amboyna wood covers . Right then a Barlow with either of those covers was a Grail Knife for me . I do carry mine , but always in a slip . I also like many of the other woods but prefer those with a very tight grain .
I wish you luck in finding one that you like .

Harry

They are the same, except the blades on 27s are a bit thinner than on 29s. Take them apart, and there’s no difference between springs, liners, and bolsters.
This is that knife compared to an older 4 line stamp 29~View attachment 1215785the 29 is on the left.
Here are two made much later. View attachment 1215786View attachment 1215787
More Camillus electrician trivia~ the old ones had the bail mounted forward on it’s own pin. Like this:View attachment 1215791The final version has them mounted on the spring pin at the very rear, like the previous picture.
Very nice! Makes me wonder why things that work so well get set aside for something shiny and new. We recently tossed out out fancy robotic electric can opener, and went back to a SAK.
I would bust up the beans one by one with a hammer if I had to rather than go without coffee!

I love your photo style! Almost as good as drooling on it in person.

A couple of Camillus re-hung in elk antler will accompany me to the memorial of a old and very close friend, who passed due to a severe stroke at way too young of an age.View attachment 1215797View attachment 1215798
Nice Show and Tell my friend . I did now realize that there was a 27 . Nice photos . Very sorry that you lost a good friend . It looks like you are getting pretty good at changing covers .

Harry

Ulster jack and a Camillus whittler
Superior knives with bone just made to be paired together, Steve!

I*XL Barlow.
Iconic Barlow and eye-catching photo, Dean!

Arrived from England (perhaps made in Sheffield) straight into my pocket this beautiful knife single-blade, unbranded, the blade looks like it's been shortened, but with a truly fabulous antique sambar stag.;):thumbsup:
Congrats, José; outstanding stag and charming rattail bolster on that knife!

Two wood covered old workhorses for my Wednesday totes; a pre WWII Ulster TL-29 and a tough old Cattaraugus, both in Cocobolo.:)
As always, an impressive pair, JJ! I really like that Catt with a single spey blade.

Morning folks, hope everyone is having a good week :) Raining hard here today :( Toting a couple of oldies, from Alfred Blackwell and Joseph Rodgers :thumbsup:
Superb vintage pair, Jack! I hope your weather dries out soon.

Riding along with my Lambfoot today is this Harness Jack. A wonderful gift from Dave, @knowtracks
That colorful HJ is a charmer, John! Kudos to @knowtracks for his generosity.:thumbsup::):cool:

Today, I will enjoy these old girls...View attachment 1214070Camillus TL-29 in cocobolo, and a High Carbon Cattle knife made by Camillus for Sears in bone.
View attachment 1214071
Another pair of venerable workers/winners, Jeff! You call them "old girls", and I think of my knives as being male, usually; I wonder why folks differentiations in that regard. (Do you have some knives of each gender?? :rolleyes:)

No. It appears they've been redesigned eliminating the lanyard hole in favor of the pocket clip. Since I carry mine in a slip with a lanyard, I still have no trouble accessing it without the concern that the clip will hang on something and pull the knife out of my pocket.
Thanks for the info, Todd. I wonder if A.G. Russell is targeting a different market now?

Ancient 2.0 TC Barlow and CSCs Bladeforums knife from 2015.
A lot of variety in materials, blades, and styles in that pair, Dean! That 2015 Forum knife is a very attractive pattern.

My contribution to Wooden Wednesday

u9EohSY.jpg
Good wood, and exceptional toothpick, @JOELSM !

This one just came to me in yesterday's mail, an ebony handed, pre-1940 E. C. Simmons Hardware "Keen Kutter" regular jack. After seeing all the nice, vintage ebony handled knives here on the Traditional Forum, I started looking for something that was similar to what I was seeing - finally found one. This one has my favorite main, a Clip, and great snapping half-stop blades. OH
E-C-Simmons-Keen-Kutter-3-1-2-Regular-Jack.jpg
I woodn't miss the opportunity to tote this ebony clad Ulster serpentine jack (1876-1941) on a Wednesday, wood you?
yxBzWpc.jpg

- Stuart
Congrats on the handsome ebony Simmons Keen Kutter jack, Bruce!
And Stuart, that Ulster ebony has genuine charisma!

I’ll carry one Grandad gave me for the next few days...
That gift Old Timer is a fitting tribute, 315 315 !

Totin’ this modified production knife this Wooden Wednesday: ...
Sweet mod of your Okapi, Tom!!

Belated birthday greetings, ma'am; I hope it was a happy day and that the happiness lasts until the next one!

My Thursday totes are a couple of reissue knives from the eighties; a Winchester toothpick by Queen made in '87 and a NYKCo BSA scout by Schrade made in '85.:)
The jigging on the toothpick looks outstanding, JJ! How big is the toothpick?

Today in my pocket this Portuguese all stainless steel and scrimshaw.;):thumbsup:
I always enjoy your posting that VERY pleasant knife, José!

Wowza, that's a nice find!

:D:thumbsup: I like it: "Gudenov. The normal, middle child."

RWgzWDp.jpg
I know you like awls/punches, Rachel, but I'm surprised to find you carrying a knife with ONLY a punch! ;)

Quality Queen Barlow, @HFinn !

Bailed non-SAK this week is a Colonial advertising scout; I don't remember how it came to me sometime before 1980 :(:
sak.mark.open.jpg

Watch pocket knife this week is a Colonial "wireframe" with clip and bottle opener (thanks, Dave):
colonial.caplifter.open.jpg

Peanut-like knife this week is a chestnut jigged bone CV Case Swayback Jack (thanks, Paul):
sbj.mark.open.2.jpg

- GT

Back