1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Spyderco C230GPPBK Lil Native Black Blade & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Nov 16!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Nov 17 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Apr 8, 2008.

1. JJ Cahill

JJ Cahill Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Today's totes are from Imperial; the first BSA Cub Scout knife from the late 1940's and a Hammer Brand cattle knife from 1938-41, both with identical punches.:)
    [​IMG]

TFBraden, Laurelbb, mitch13 and 30 others like this.
  2. Llasi

Llasi Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 1, 2013
    [​IMG]

TFBraden, Laurelbb, mitch13 and 20 others like this.
  3. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Thank you gentlemen. Just back from a few days of deer hunting and bass fishing - this thread moves like lightning! OH

Amir Fleschwund likes this.
  4. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    One of the nicest cubbies I've seen. And that may be an understatement.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    JJ Cahill and cigarrodog like this.
  5. Old Hunter

Jul 12, 2012
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the compliments! OH

6. Old Hunter

Jul 12, 2012
    After spending years accumulating many bone-handled pocketknives (while ignoring wooden handles) all of a sudden these beautiful wooden handles are catching my eye and staying in my mind - this doesn’t bode well for my hobby cash! Simply beautiful gentlemen. OH

TFBraden, Wurrwulf, akaMatt and 7 others like this.
  7. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Out at the country house. Electric coffee-grinder died out, how to make coffee from beans???:eek: Found a very Traditional Old School method up in the loft...worked a treat:thumbsup::cool:

[​IMG]

TFBraden, Laurelbb, btb01 and 33 others like this.
  8. Leslie Tomville

Leslie Tomville Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2016
    98B5BB1D-6D9E-4228-8D95-2F44E03BF327.jpeg 22B17A8B-CC41-438D-87C5-0259B0105AC4.jpeg 5C63A19B-A352-4411-81C9-8D24907D5AD1.jpeg

Totin’ Old Green Bone.

9. Travman

Travman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Is your knife a Camillus?

10. Travman

Travman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2016
    I have these two with me again this morning
    [​IMG]

11. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Nice bunch of knives you got dealt this week, GT. :cool: :thumbsup:

I really enjoy your pictures. :cool: :thumbsup:

I'm glad you found a way to get your coffee. Makes for a nice picture too. :cool: :thumbsup:

Gorgeous!!! :) :thumbsup:

12. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Happy Saturday

[​IMG]

13. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    [​IMG]
    The Big Beaver and the Little Bull

14. Ironbut

Ironbut Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2016
    It's not fancy, and I often forget it's even there, but no matter what "main" edc knife I'm carrying an Alox Cadet is always in my left front pocket. Here's the blue one:
    [​IMG]

15. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Will, I don’t drink coffee, but that has to make it taste bettero_O:thumbsup:

16. Amir Fleschwund

Amir Fleschwund Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2008
    They are the same, except the blades on 27s are a bit thinner than on 29s. Take them apart, and there’s no difference between springs, liners, and bolsters.
    This is that knife compared to an older 4 line stamp 29~ 77B9C503-05AE-4F72-A472-F2E5AC54426F.jpeg the 29 is on the left.
    Here are two made much later. C9A88D89-D9C3-4305-B99D-35C3470109A1.jpeg CE47D4D7-EC1E-4FFB-9AD8-2599C2F493C9.jpeg
    More Camillus electrician trivia~ the old ones had the bail mounted forward on it’s own pin. Like this: 55BA51A9-21D5-43A5-AE93-60FF2CE38BD2.jpeg The final version has them mounted on the spring pin at the very rear, like the previous picture.
    Very nice! Makes me wonder why things that work so well get set aside for something shiny and new. We recently tossed out our fancy robotic electric can opener, and went back to a SAK.
    I would bust up the beans one by one with a hammer if I had to rather than go without coffee!

I love your photo style! Almost as good as drooling on it in person.

A couple of Camillus re-hung in elk antler will accompany me to the memorial of an old and very close friend, who passed due to a severe stroke at way too young of an age.
    I’ll see you at the smallmouth river, Steve.

DC7022F7-30F8-46F2-9ED4-ECC795EBB1D2.jpeg 0BCDB239-6FF2-4D8F-8E7C-FA3424E86D61.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  17. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Thank you very much Bruce . In 2014 when I started to collect Barlows I saw that Taylor's Eye Witness made and sold Barlows with Desert Ironwood and Amboyna wood covers . Right then a Barlow with either of those covers was a Grail Knife for me . I do carry mine , but always in a slip . I also like many of the other woods but prefer those with a very tight grain .
    I wish you luck in finding one that you like .

Harry

TFBraden and Old Hunter like this.
  18. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    No, it's a Black Box Winchester Stockman. Sees a lot of use.

Thanks, Will

SVTFreak and Travman like this.
  19. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Nice Show and Tell my friend . I did now realize that there was a 27 . Nice photos . Very sorry that you lost a good friend . It looks like you are getting pretty good at changing covers .

Harry

SVTFreak and Amir Fleschwund like this.
  20. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Superior knives with bone just made to be paired together, Steve!

Iconic Barlow and eye-catching photo, Dean!

Congrats, José; outstanding stag and charming rattail bolster on that knife!

As always, an impressive pair, JJ! I really like that Catt with a single spey blade.

Superb vintage pair, Jack! I hope your weather dries out soon.

That colorful HJ is a charmer, John! Kudos to @knowtracks for his generosity.:thumbsup::):cool:

Another pair of venerable workers/winners, Jeff! You call them "old girls", and I think of my knives as being male, usually; I wonder why folks differentiations in that regard. (Do you have some knives of each gender?? :rolleyes:)

Thanks for the info, Todd. I wonder if A.G. Russell is targeting a different market now?

A lot of variety in materials, blades, and styles in that pair, Dean! That 2015 Forum knife is a very attractive pattern.

Good wood, and exceptional toothpick, @JOELSM !

Congrats on the handsome ebony Simmons Keen Kutter jack, Bruce!
    And Stuart, that Ulster ebony has genuine charisma!

That gift Old Timer is a fitting tribute, @315 !

Sweet mod of your Okapi, Tom!!

Belated birthday greetings, ma'am; I hope it was a happy day and that the happiness lasts until the next one!

The jigging on the toothpick looks outstanding, JJ! How big is the toothpick?

I always enjoy your posting that VERY pleasant knife, José!

I know you like awls/punches, Rachel, but I'm surprised to find you carrying a knife with ONLY a punch! ;)

Quality Queen Barlow, @HFinn !

Bailed non-SAK this week is a Colonial advertising scout; I don't remember how it came to me sometime before 1980 :(:
    sak.mark.open.jpg

Watch pocket knife this week is a Colonial "wireframe" with clip and bottle opener (thanks, Dave):
    colonial.caplifter.open.jpg

Peanut-like knife this week is a chestnut jigged bone CV Case Swayback Jack (thanks, Paul):
    sbj.mark.open.2.jpg

- GT

TFBraden, Laurelbb, Pt-Luso and 26 others like this.