What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Thank you to all veterans for your service and particularly to those who sacrificed more than their time and effort. My stepfather, from whom I derived most of my knife collection, served as an Army veterinary officer in Korea. My paternal grandfather, an Army doctor, served in WWI. My father, who graduated from West Point on June 6, 1944, was an Airborne Ranger and Special Forces officer in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam, retiring in 1964. The latter two rest in Arlington National Cemetery. It wasn't unusual that I joined the Army ROTC in college in 1967, getting my officer's commission in 1971 and honorable discharge seven years later. However, the only thing that I put at risk was my liver during visits to the Officers' Club.

I attended a wreath laying ceremony this morning conducted by my American Legion Post, chatting in the sunshine with fellow members. Afterward, my son called to tell me that he had dropped a big buck and needed my help getting it home and butchered. It hit me that this morning embodied just a little of the freedom, the liberty, the pursuit of happiness that veterans secured for me and mine through their service and sacrifice. Again, with a grateful heart, thank you, VETS!

Y3MigwM.jpg

It is cool enough that we'll have a fire in the outdoor fire pit tonight, and Old Glory pictured above will receive a proper retirement.

Edited to add: Of the time that I was in the USAR, only a short summer camp (Ft. Bragg) and a 3 month Officer Basic Training (Ft. Benjamin Harrison) were active duty; the rest was asleep at the wheel.

- Stuart

Last edited:
Welcome back, Nick! :) That's a fine Eric's Jack, but those aren't the original stag covers, are they? Very cool! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
Thanks Gary, your yellow CV Case is a classic!
You’re correct about the stag covers on my Eric’s jack. It came with uneven thickness on the covers so I sanded them down to where I like them and then hit it with some potassium permanganate. Came out pretty decent I’d say.

Thank you to all veterans for your service and particularly to those who sacrificed more than their time and effort. My stepfather, from whom I derived most of my knife collection, served as an Army veterinary officer in Korea. My paternal grandfather, an Army doctor, served in WWI. My father, who graduated from West Point on June 6, 1944, was an Airborne Ranger and Special Forces officer in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam, retiring in 1964. The latter two rest in Arlington National Cemetery. It wasn't unusual that I joined the Army ROTC in college in 1967, getting my officer's commission in 1971 and honorable discharge seven years later. However, the only thing that I put at risk was my liver during visits to the Officers' Club.

I attended a wreath laying ceremony this morning conducted by my American Legion Post, chatting in the sunshine with fellow members. Afterward, my son called to tell me that he had dropped a big buck and needed my help getting it home and butchered. It hit me that this morning embodied just a little of the freedom, the liberty, the pursuit of happiness that veterans secured for me and mine through their service and sacrifice. Again, with a grateful heart, thank you, VETS!

Y3MigwM.jpg

It is cool enough that we'll have a fire in the outdoor fire pit tonight, and Old Glory pictured above will receive a proper retirement.

Edited to add: Of the time that I was in the USAR, only a short summer camp (Ft. Bragg) and a 3 month Officer Basic Training (Ft. Benjamin Harrison) were active duty; the rest was asleep at the wheel.

- Stuart
Nice post, Stuart.

Yikes! :eek: Better keep an Eye on that TEW, Harry! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Is your stag Bulldog made in Germany? Maybe you should only carry it on days ending with a "G": Sonntag, Montag, Dienstag, ... (but NOT Mittwoch). :D
- GT
Will for sure keep an eye on it my friend . The Bulldog Stag Barlow was made in Germany with Sheffield steel . I probably could post it only on days that end with a " G " or a " Y " .

Harry

In all honesty I didn't carry all of these today,but given what to day is seems appropriate to share them
1xGvweh.jpg

Kutmaster stockman, was once part of a pilot's survival kit,blade etch reads "PROPERTY OF U.S. GOVT. To our veterans of the Air Force, I thank you
YUSDXTn.jpg

US. Army post exchange knife, and a Gen. Patton commemorative. To our Veterans of the Army,I thank you.
R8W7hDT.jpg

U.S.M.C. stamped Camillus tl29, to our Marine Corps veterans, I thank you.
6DsDmXG.jpg

Post war Navy utility I re-covered, to our Navy Veterans I thank you.
3st6X9K.jpg

Ontario copy of the "demo knife", for lack of knowledge this one I'll use to say, to our U.S. Coast Guard veterans, I thank you.
And to my international friends who have served in any branch of your respective militaries, I thank you also for your service.

In all honesty I didn't carry all of these today,but given what to day is seems appropriate to share them
1xGvweh.jpg

Kutmaster stockman, was once part of a pilot's survival kit,blade etch reads "PROPERTY OF U.S. GOVT. To our veterans of the Air Force, I thank you
YUSDXTn.jpg

US. Army post exchange knife, and a Gen. Patton commemorative. To our Veterans of the Army,I thank you.
R8W7hDT.jpg

U.S.M.C. stamped Camillus tl29, to our Marine Corps veterans, I thank you.
6DsDmXG.jpg

Post war Navy utility I re-covered, to our Navy Veterans I thank you.
3st6X9K.jpg

Ontario copy of the "demo knife", for lack of knowledge this one I'll use to say, to our U.S. Coast Guard veterans, I thank you.
And to my international friends who have served in any branch of your respective militaries, I thank you also for your service.

Imaginative tribute. Well done!

Back