What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

I'm totin' two Ka-Bars today.

C9GyfIw.jpg

llw0Ozk.jpg

Ye0j3gc.jpg

- Stuart

Jack Black Jack Black ~ thanks, Jack! I think all of us on The Porch are well equipped.

View attachment 1233801 View attachment 1233802 View attachment 1233803

Great Ebony on this Wharncliff Trapper, and I love the way Tony Bose shapes his blades and swedges.

Have a Blessed Sunday everyone! Geaux Tigers!

Jack Black Jack Black , I remember Coffee Nips Jack. As @r8shell wrote, they seemed to be more of an adult hard candy; small and not too sweet. Naturally, I avoided them as a kid for those reasons. Back then, I liked my candy soft, large, and as sweet as possible! They do have a tiny amount of caffeine. John @JohnDF , you confessed a few days ago that you have entered the world of adult hard candy. Do you have any information for Jack on Coffee Nips?

Beautiful knife, Les!
I spent the majority of my career as a wholesale distributor, and even though Coffee Nips never got near the top 20, we did sell them. For years, they were a brand of Pearson Candy. Sometime in recent years, Nestle Foods acquired the brand, and yes, you can still get them.
And they’re not bad, which is yet one more sign I’m getting older.

I hate you Paul, hahaha! And I thought it was perfect. Damn photography skills. I just checked with a 10X loupe and it appears to be a very slight wave in the edge, but not a ding.

- oops, sorry, Alan! Yes, it is very slight, it'll sharpen out easy I'm sure :thumbsup:

I’ve had blades like that, and treated them like any reverse curved blade such as a hawkbill. Ceramic rods, or Spyderco Sharpmaker... if I get that wave razor sharp so that it doesn’t reflect light, it doesn’t bother me. The only way to get rid of it involves removing a lot of blade steel, which I hate to do.
By the way, it’s very nice looking!

It’s a rainy miserable day here in the Pacific North West. Good day for an old Victorinox...

B2-B8-ADAB-6008-4-B64-88-B2-E6759-FEAF89-C.jpg
If that’s the Mauser, I think I’ve only seen them in olive drab. Quite hard to find nowadays.

Last edited:
That's a smart pairing, Jack. :cool::thumbsup:

I haven't tried those for a long time. I remember they grew on me the older I got. I'll have to try them again.

Thanks buddy :) :thumbsup:

I just did some online searching, and there is a "Coffee Nips" sold, but they just look like coffee flavored Werther's. What I remember were very small, maybe triangular or pyramid shaped, and in a foil twist like this:
GaNnWSXs.jpg

I guess they were rather old fashioned candy, even 45 years ago...

Back to knife-talk! I'm on a pick bone kick. :)
3Ogtohj.jpg

yFxgWaX.jpg

In the kitchen, I'm sure. In her purse...who knows? :p

What I saw was Coffee NIBS :confused: I'm not going to be in York until next year now, but will try and investigate further ;) Fine pairing Rachel :thumbsup:

It’s a rainy miserable day here in the Pacific North West. Good day for an old Victorinox...

B2-B8-ADAB-6008-4-B64-88-B2-E6759-FEAF89-C.jpg

Nice Safari :thumbsup:

If that’s the Mauser, I think I’ve only seen them in olive drab. Quite hard to find nowadays.

Not the Mauser specific knife but built on the same frame. This is a two layer knife, I think the Mauser is 3? I have another just like it that has the corkscrew and reamer that would make it identical to the German Army knife of that vintage.

Not the Mauser specific knife but built on the same frame. This is a two layer knife, I think the Mauser is 3? I have another just like it that has the corkscrew and reamer that would make it identical to the German Army knife of that vintage.

This is a Mauser (Corkscrew screwdriver is an add-on) :thumbsup:

JxG1iQF.jpg

This is a German Army Knife :thumbsup:

xYVS9Wc.jpg

Thanks Stuart; I think the bone covered Robeson was "cleaned" before I received it, the other came as if it were never used and only dropped once!:D Thanks again, those were the first abalone BB Wins I'd seen, as well!
Excellent old Belknap Barlow; that's a very pristine specimen, cool!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for the background info and the kind comments, JJ. Relative to the knives that you often post, today's pairing is, figuratively, an exercise in cradle robbing. Nicely done, too.

Jack, the Wright looks like a freshly poured Black & Tan, indeed.

Great Ebony on this Wharncliff Trapper, and I love the way Tony Bose shapes his blades and swedges.

I love it, too. Thanks for sharing that beauty, LT.

View attachment 1233814 We’ll be having a Thanksgiving potluck dinner at church, so this Case slimline trapper in stainless will be along in *case* anything needs dissecting, bisecting, or disassembly.

I, too, like the Case slimline, but that Camillus!!!

A great picture of a gorgeous knife, Alan. Well captured.

3Ogtohj.jpg

yFxgWaX.jpg

Outstanding pairing, r8shell. Just lovely.

American Jack and an Ulster Barlow for Sunday

BS8r0A3.jpg

The Ulster caught my eye, Steve. I understand that, like Camillus, Ulster was once a part of A. Kastor & Brothers and, as such, made knives for the big hardware chains. Your Ulster looks very much like a cousin, if not twin brother, of the Belknap Barlow that I toted and posted yesterday (other than yours has brass pins and a clip main with long pull v. my spear with short nail nick and steel + brass pins). Or maybe I'm just seeing things.

cOGScIk.jpg

Sunday carry

Well done, Dean.

Nice pair of KA-BAR's Stuart !

Thanks, Steve.

That handsome old knife speaks to me, Harvey, of stories long forgotten.

- Stuart

The Ulster caught my eye, Steve. I understand that, like Camillus, Ulster was once a part of A. Kastor & Brothers and, as such, made knives for the big hardware chains. Your Ulster looks very much like a cousin, if not twin brother, of the Belknap Barlow that I toted and posted yesterday (other than yours has brass pins and a clip main with long pull v. my spear with short nail nick and steel + brass pins). Or maybe I'm just seeing things.

cOGScIk.jpg

- Stuart

No, I think you are on to something, when I saw yours this Ulster immediately came to mind and it's why I thought to carry it today. :thumbsup:

Eg84oDrh.jpg

This is a Mauser (Corkscrew screwdriver is an add-on) :thumbsup:

JxG1iQF.jpg

This is a German Army Knife :thumbsup:

xYVS9Wc.jpg
Thank you both for the pics and info!
Glad to see this old knife again, Harvey.
I, too, like the Case slimline, but that Camillus!!!
- Stuart
Thanks, Stuart!

Thanks JJ, I'm also liking the #66 Stockman, and yours pairs very nicely with that Harness Jack :) :thumbsup:

Morning folks, hope everyone is having a lovely weekend, and that your Sunday is pleasant and peaceful :) Going with this black and tan pair today :thumbsup:
Eq0Sjdu.jpg

2FNhan4.jpg
Thanks Jack!!! Very classic combo for you today; love those old postcards you added too!;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
JJ Cahill JJ Cahill , you have a wonderful knife aesthetic. Thanks for the photos.
Thank you kindly LT!!! You also have an outstanding knife aesthetic with your constant flow of beauties; very cool T Bose you have today!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
3Ogtohj.jpg
Beautiful bone covers on those highly storied slicers Rachel; hard to beat a well loved pair of pocket knives!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back