What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

These 2 today.
The things you find, in the house move I found my Moore pigmy:eek::oops:, don't know if Paul is still making.
sJAP9A.jpg
D17VQj.jpg

Great pic Jon :thumbsup:

Thank you, Jack. The fixed blade is a puukko type, made in 5160 steel and covered in vintage micarta, designed and crafted by Bill Siegle, one of BF's excellent makers. I have the opportunity to see him on occasion as we reside in the same state and attend the same gatherings and such. I'm pretty happy with the trade we made, the grind is so nice and thin behind the edge on this little guy and I've already been putting it to work in my kitchen. I'm very pleased with it.

A couple of lookers for me today. I found it interesting that the lighting made the nickel silver on the 92 appear "yellow", especially against the coolness of the steel hardware on the Lambsfoot.

69zMgbn.jpg

Thanks for the info Dylan, sounds fantastic :cool: Nice Red 'n' Black pairing my friend :thumbsup:

A new knife for me that will definitely be a favorite companion.
rpaxekw.jpg

z0cyJcI.jpg

A wonderful gift Gary, great-looking knife :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack!!! Your two for today make an excellent pair; really like the stag on your Ashley's Choice lamb!;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you very much JJ :) :thumbsup:

Morning folks, going with some wood today, my 2019 Guardians Lambsfoot SFO and a vintage Joseph Haywood :) Have a good day peeps ;) :thumbsup:

sccD9D9.jpg

JPkJtNm.jpg

Well, as it so happens ...... :)

I started a thread a while ago asking for suggestions for a new hunting knife. I wanted to start some new traditions in hunting, as my dad passed away a few years ago and he was always a big part of it. I wanted some new gear, to start over, and a knife seemed a great place to begin (obviously :D). This would be my first deer hunt since 2015, and I wanted a clean start so-to-speak.

But I am also a bit superstitious when it comes to this endeavor, and could not find the one piece of gear I simply cannot do without: my lucky Filson hunting hat. I have moved a couple of times in the last few years, and thought it was just lost to that process. A couple of nights before I was to leave, I decided to give it one last look. Sure enough, I found the thaumaturgical hat in the last place I hadn’t looked. But in that same box was my hunting knife of many years, that I had also thought was lost. It is an unremarkable Buck, but works well and also has it’s share of good fortune.

I was hesitant to bring it along, wanting to start new traditions, but thought it fortuitous to have found it and it would be bad karma to not bring it. It is a really good knife for field dressing, so I cleaned it and put a fresh edge on it, and put it in my pack.

So, on opening morning, I saw a buck. I was planning on only shooting a doe, but there he was. Nothing huge or especially remarkable, but a decent buck for where I hunt. I had a good shot but he started to move as I was going to shoot. And making the cardinal sin of shooting at a (albeit slow) moving target, I hit a tree. To my utter amazement, he simply stopped walking. I worked the bolt of my rifle, found him in the crosshairs and fired again. He went straight down. Then bounced right back up again. I chambered the last round in my rifle and fired again. He went down for good. Both shots that hit were lethal and within an inch of each other. I am naming this buck “3 Strikes” :).

(If you are reading this please know the next picture contains a harvested deer)

I like to think that my dad was with me to some degree that morning, and that some physical items really are lucky. I am also beginning to think that some traditions you should honor even if the memories bring up some sad truths about someone passing. (Sorry this post is so long).

Beautiful buck Tom - congratulations on getting it all tied together again. Your family hunting lore continues....OH

I like to think that my dad was with me to some degree that morning, and that some physical items really are lucky. I am also beginning to think that some traditions you should honor even if the memories bring up some sad truths about someone passing. (Sorry this post is so long).
I was going to suggest that. I suspect my late mother of hiding my car keys on All Saints Sunday so I'd miss the most tear-jerking parts of the service.

Nice knife, @Whetstone39.

@r8shell's posting the other day has inspired me to carry a couple of ones that I believe to be more than 100 Years Old .

Harry
Nice, buddy! I believe you are the custodian of some old Russel barlows as well.
My carries of the day are not 100 yrs old, but are older than me, so that makes them antiques.

Built a work bench in my shop and these two where in my pockets. 1976 Case 52087 Stag Jack with SS blades and one of my favorite Mark Job Stag handled fixed blades in 1095 carbon steel:thumbsup:
zvIDM3.jpg

nwW9in.jpg
I don’t know if he dyed the stag before shaping it, but the color is superb!
Well, as it so happens ...... :)

I started a thread a while ago asking for suggestions for a new hunting knife. I wanted to start some new traditions in hunting, as my dad passed away a few years ago and he was always a big part of it. I wanted some new gear, to start over, and a knife seemed a great place to begin (obviously :D). This would be my first deer hunt since 2015, and I wanted a clean start so-to-speak.

But I am also a bit superstitious when it comes to this endeavor, and could not find the one piece of gear I simply cannot do without: my lucky Filson hunting hat. I have moved a couple of times in the last few years, and thought it was just lost to that process. A couple of nights before I was to leave, I decided to give it one last look. Sure enough, I found the thaumaturgical hat in the last place I hadn’t looked. But in that same box was my hunting knife of many years, that I had also thought was lost. It is an unremarkable Buck, but works well and also has it’s share of good fortune.

I was hesitant to bring it along, wanting to start new traditions, but thought it fortuitous to have found it and it would be bad karma to not bring it. It is a really good knife for field dressing, so I cleaned it and put a fresh edge on it, and put it in my pack.

So, on opening morning, I saw a buck. I was planning on only shooting a doe, but there he was. Nothing huge or especially remarkable, but a decent buck for where I hunt. I had a good shot but he started to move as I was going to shoot. And making the cardinal sin of shooting at a (albeit slow) moving target, I hit a tree. To my utter amazement, he simply stopped walking. I worked the bolt of my rifle, found him in the crosshairs and fired again. He went straight down. Then bounced right back up again. I chambered the last round in my rifle and fired again. He went down for good. Both shots that hit were lethal and within an inch of each other. I am naming this buck “3 Strikes” :).

(If you are reading this please know the next picture contains a harvested deer)

Nice buck!
I had to look up that word you used to describe your hat ~ I thought it might be a fancy word for ugly!
And if you ever saw my favorite hats, you’d know that is a good thing. I figure the uglier my hat is, the better I look in contrast.
Morning folks, going with some wood today, my 2019 Guardians Lambsfoot SFO and a vintage Joseph Haywood :) Have a good day peeps ;) :thumbsup:

sccD9D9.jpg

JPkJtNm.jpg
Oh boy! The Haywood is great.

Today I have the Eagle in ebony, and Camillus in cocobolo.View attachment 1235839

Last edited:
Back