What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

3y3WWER.jpg

Well this (at one time gem) is my carry for the day, although it didn't start out as such:mad: I saw Jeff's post earlier showing his half whitt and thought I'd grab 57 for the remainder of the day. Here's what I found:eek: MAJOR rust on the main and slight remnants on the other blades. Grabbed my Tidioute ebony Whittler from my knife roll and was stunned to find this:mad:no idea how this occurred as all my knife rolls are stored in a very stable environment.

No damage to any other knives and to insure safe conditions I leave a desiccant bag in the knife roll as I have for years. No chance of out gassing from a celluloid knife as there is none in the rollo_O Puzzling and disturbing as this was pristine even a month ago:confused: So, a user now, but still makes me MAD:(

FLmKMj.jpg

Hxg9jn.jpg

1pNIeU.jpg

KEzEGS.jpg

KFCrPD.jpg
That’s so strange. It almost looks like something was wiped across it that triggered the corrosion.

I use desiccant packs, rust prohibitor tabs and Ren wax on all my safe queens. Triple protection from the beast.

Ouch! :eek: Sorry to see that Paul, but glad the other knives are OK. While photographing some old penknives yesterday, one or two of them caused me some slight concern. I moved about half my collection onto some new shelves earlier in the year. Very pleased with how they look, but I think that as winter comes on, their position, close to an outside wall, might not be the right place for them. Going to be a major job going through them all, oiling them again, applying some Ren Wax, and relocating them o_O

Thanks Tom, great pic of your Opinel :thumbsup:

Fantastic :) You know how to keep your knives looking pristine JJ :thumbsup:

Have a great Sunday folks :thumbsup:

zz1HnPf.jpg

Q0Tdt0v.jpg

Sorry to hear but your last post shows your a wise man ! Great user that the universe picked for you

That’s so strange. It almost looks like something was wiped across it that triggered the corrosion.

I use desiccant packs, rust prohibitor tabs and Ren wax on all my safe queens. Triple protection from the beast.

Thanks all, it's a mystery. Duncan and I discussed the same thing as to some remnant of oil/oils being left behind, yet I'm very cautious when putting in their place, a "final check" as it were. The logo "etch" is completely gone and the angle of the red rust follows exactly the way the blade lays in the well downo_O

Micarta triple with Northwoods Hawthorne Jack and Little Bay and GiantMouse GMF1
Delightful denim duo! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thought I'd pocket a couple of trappers for Tuesday; a Schrade jumbo trapper by GEC and a Camillus with a nod to firefighters. :)
Two totes from France both wearing wood for Wednesday; a Le Thiers by Chambriard in Juniper and a Le Provencal by Sabot in Olive. :)
More terrific thematic tandems, JJ; the knives you post are always immaculate!! :cool::thumbsup::cool:
What knife do you typically carry for everyday use?

Last night's game between the Vikings and (my favorite) Seahawks was so fun to watch...
Your lambsfoot and your team are both winners, John! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Camillus US Army Air Corp
Delectable bone, Steve! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Brookes & Crookes, Sheffield.
View attachment 1243148
Gadzooks! :eek: That Brookes & Crookes really Cookes, Harvey!! ;):cool::cool:

XX Tuesday.
Your Barlow is rated XX, Dean! :cool::cool:;) Do you have any group shots of the Case Barlows you've acquired this year? My impression is that you have quite a variety! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

After carrying this little girl all day she did no work! But What a great carry though couldn’t even feel this ZT in my pocket had to keep doing pocket checks to make sure it didn’t disappear lol.
So I put her to work tonight opening up my dinner and she sliced open that box like a champion:)
Congrats on your new ZT!! :cool::thumbsup::cool: Not my cup of tea, but you're obviously very stoked about it! :):thumbsup::thumbsup:
How was the pasta? I've never tried that brand of fettuccini, but we LOVE Marie's fruit pies (Razzleberry's my favorite)! ;)

Three days without any rain here, possibly a British record, well at least for this year :rolleyes: My Hartshead Barlow SFO and a GEC #44
Glad to hear that your "no-rain dance" was finally effective, Jack! ;):cool:
Handsome stag/ebony pair!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Today with GEC #73.;):thumbsup:
Majestic knife, José! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Today I’ve got a couple of SFO’s in Ebony from my friend Charlie @waynorth. :)
Charlie's cool coal-colored couple of cutters are commendable, Ron! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

The Laguiole most of the day; the Opinel this evening.
Impressive French pair, Vince! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
I know you have some amazing knives from UK, Spain, France, and US; what country will you conquer next in your quest for world (knife) domination?? :D

Couple of sensational slender stockman patterns, Gev & Paul!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm leaving for the whitetail woods again, and gonna take these two in ram's horn along with my ubiquitous green alox Cadet.

Owl Head Jumbo Sowbelly (4¼")
View attachment 1243545

LionSteel Bolus Drop Point (3⅞")...
Hope you had an enjoyable time, Jeff! That Owl Head sowbelly is a stunner! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I broke out my Warthog today.
Love those covers, Buzz! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
(Must be tough to get that Warthog off the ground with that massive payload, though! :eek::D)

View attachment 1243660 View attachment 1243659

Going to tote vintage Case knives for the next few days.
Red bone Barlow bonanza, LT!! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Oregon trapper and a Rough Rider stockman were in my pockets today.View attachment 1243769
That stag RR sowbelly is superb! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Case old and new, a XX Jack and a 2016 Chestnut Peanut:thumbsup:
Thank you Will, and I totally agree about Jeff:thumbsup: typing one handed/one finger, had impingement shoulder surgery at 7:00 am and the nerve block still hasn't worn off:eek: had the other shoulder done 4 yrs ago and it was the same thing with the nerve block...wow that seemed like a long reply with one finger and correcting all the typo's:D
Outstanding bone, Paul! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
I hope your shoulder rehab is as fast and pain-free as possible. :)

Big Knife of the Week for me has been a Case amber jigged bone Sod Buster Jr (not really big, but the full-size Sod Busters are big, and by putting my SBJrs in the "Big" category, I get to carry them more often than I would if they were fighting for space with many other knives in the "Miscellaneous" category :rolleyes:):
amber.sbjr.pile.closed.jpg

Miscellaneous Knife this week is a Case mini copperlock (thanks, @Leslie Tomville):
mark.open.point.jpg

Peanut of the Week is a Case brown Delrin stainless peanut (thanks, Cory):
delrin.peanut.mark.2open.linktoy.jpg

Stag/Horn Knife of the Week is a Case stag peanut:
case.stag.pile.closed.jpg

- GT

Impressive French pair, Vince! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
I know you have some amazing knives from UK, Spain, France, and US; what country will you conquer next in your quest for world (knife) domination?? :D
Thanks, Gary. Not sure which country will be next. I may obtain some more Spanish navajas, but the ones I want are kind of pricey. I have an Italian stiletto on my list. I find the Finnish knives intriguing. Maybe some more English knives, although the cutlery industry is not what it used to be. May look for some old knives. There are beautiful Sardinian knives I've seen here on the forums. The Portuguese knives are comely too. And I DEFINITELY will be acquiring more French cutlery. I know the industry is not what it was, but it seems to be in good shape in France nevertheless. I know there will be more Laguioles in my collection, little by little.
Big Knife of the Week for me has been a Case amber jigged bone Sod Buster Jr (not really big, but the full-size Sod Busters are big, and by putting my SBJrs in the "Big" category, I get to carry them more often than I would if they were fighting for space with many other knives in the "Miscellaneous" category :rolleyes:):
amber-sbjr-pile-closed-jpg.1245731

Miscellaneous Knife this week is a Case mini copperlock (thanks, @Leslie Tomville):
mark-open-point-jpg.1245738

Peanut of the Week is a Case brown Delrin stainless peanut (thanks, Cory):
delrin-peanut-mark-2open-linktoy-jpg.1245741

Stag/Horn Knife of the Week is a Case stag peanut:
case-stag-pile-closed-jpg.1245743
Very nice choices this week: all Case! Coincidence?

Got this in my pocket again:
Lsh0Poq.jpg

I used it last night to cut some twine on a Christmas tree, and then accidentally dropped it on the floor. Dinged up the edge pretty good, but I guess that's the best place for dings. Used some diamond rods (followed by ceramic) to smooth the edge again, and now the dings are gone and my Lag is RAZOR sharp.

Last edited:
@Amir Fleschwund - Thank you Jeff. Ironically, some say the same thing about me.:eek: Very nice pair. That F&F is cool and different

JohnDF JohnDF - Thank you John.:) Your Old Timer looks like a perfect jeans small pocket carry.:thumbsup:

@JJ Cahill - Thank you JJ. A great looking pair. Love the color of the Schrade cover.

@Jack Black - A lovely pair headed by your HHB.:thumbsup:

Gevonovich Gevonovich - A beautiful pair of MOPs with words to live by.:)

5K Qs 5K Qs - Thank you GT. Your Case SB Jr. is a stunner.:thumbsup:

Prester John Prester John - A lovely Laguiole, Vince. Since sharpening mine, it’s carried daily. A very useful and practical knife.:thumbsup:

Thanks 5K Qs 5K Qs !
I am really stoked with the ZT 0230 and more and more everyday:thumbsup:
The Marie Callender’s Fettuccine is really good at least I enjoy it especially for a quick and easy meal:) I normally add a couple pieces of French or Italian bread with it.
Btw those are some beautiful knives you’ve posted but I wouldn’t expect anything less from you!

My first ever custom slipjoint, made in 2001 by my friend @Ed Kramp is screaming sharp after a bit of stropping. After many years of pocket carry, it's a little hard to tell but Ed hand jigged and dyed the bone. Am ecstatic to have this back in my pocket again. It's a true slipjoint, no halfstop, a long term pocket worn custom user. Have gotten my money's worth out of this knife, several times over, and when the backspring broke and I lost touch with Ed, I thought it was gone forever. That incident led me to the traditional forum hunting for a replacement, and I never really found it. This knife has traveled so many miles with me …

@David Kramp

krampgent-1.jpg
It's strange how with all the knives that pass through our hands one in particular ends up being "the one" that speaks to us. We don't choose them, they choose us.

It's strange how with all the knives that pass through our hands one in particular ends up being "the one" that speaks to us. We don't choose them, they choose us.
So true. I have found that I don’t really know how a knife will “fit” me until I have it for a while. Some knives, which look so good in photos just don’t do it for me after I have it in hand. This is the prime reason I buy and sell many knives. And buy certain ones again.

Back