What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Wooden Wednesday carry on my walk today.
EM30xIL.jpg

These two today

Spectacular pair of Queens for you Stuart; really cool album cover, as well!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Fistful of stag on your lockback, Stuart! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Merle was a smokin’ picker.
Do you discriminate when it comes time to cut something, or do you use whichever one you reach in and come out with?

Thanks, guys. The backdrop for the trappers pic is a multi-box set of Merle's best.Jeff, I had one trapper in each front pocket so I could trap a trapper with whatever hand I had free.

sVOoBr7.jpg

Steve, I meant to comment earlier as to how cool there two are. Kudos!!

That old Baxter is a treat, Jack. Thanks for sharing.

International Knife of the Week is a Cudeman I got while visiting Toledo, Spain:
cudeman-open-mark-out-jpg.1247226

That has some lovely lines, GT. You have a winner there.

I'm going with piano keys today:
aL7QnQH.jpg

7T0F27p.jpg

Lovely old pair, Gev.

“A wee dram to ward off Winter chill.” (Havana Club Rum, 7 year old), my favorite, with a vintage Sheffield J. Milner&Co Lambfoot.
View attachment 1247323

An intoxicating photo, Harvey.

- Stuart

D Duckdog - Thank you kindly, Stuart.:) Your Caper and dog leg both look great.:thumbsup:

And thank you, Harvey. Both are light and the Caper rides easy in its sheath on my belt over my right back pant pocket. I'm a bit surprised how many folks see my belt-carried knives and ask if they can use them for a small job. I oblige and suggest a knife that they might want to carry, too.
- Stuart

Thank you kindly JJ, lovely Wooden Wednesday choices :) :thumbsup:

Morning folks, I'm out of step again, felt like carrying some jigged bone, Charlie's Waynorth Lambsfoot, and a worn old Sheffield (Baxter) Jack I decided to sharpen up and slip in my pocket. Plenty of life left in the old dog ;)
U2lRQjA.jpg

wIyd8iJ.jpg
Thank you very much Jack!!! Very cool "something new and something old" pair for you today; I'll bet that youngster can take some lessons from the old Baxter on a "keen edge!";):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Charismatic classics, JJ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Alox of the Week is a Vic Classic:
classic-alox-closed-jpg.1247223

non-Alox SAK of the Week is a Vic Recruit modded to facilitate whittling (thanks, Greg):
right-profile-bust-jpg.1247224

Bailed non-SAK of the Week is a Sanrenmu (thanks, Dave):
sanrenmu-closed-jpg.1247225

International Knife of the Week is a Cudeman I got while visiting Toledo, Spain:
cudeman-open-mark-out-jpg.1247226
Thank you kindly Gary!!! Quite the lovely foursome you're featuring; really like your whittling projecy, very cool!
You almost caused me to change today’s totes!
Really nice, JJ!

Today, it’s an A.Wright and Son LTD Sheffield Lambfoot, and a little Craftsman Stockman for me.
e5595763-1167-4954-a513-5b19eb3824d3-jpeg.1247267
Thanks a lot Jeff!!! You have a marvelous pair of wooden wonders today; that Craftsman with the brass bolsters is a real stunner!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thank you JJ. Two(too)cool:) Robeson, JJ. The walnut covers on the left suits me to a T.
“A wee dram to ward off Winter chill.” (Havana Club Rum, 7 year old), my favorite, with a vintage Sheffield J. Milner&Co Lambfoot.
54d8467c-6c2c-4c63-956c-c70c2380c4ed-jpeg.1247323
Thank you very much Harvey!!! Your J. Milner&Co is a mighty fine elder statesman and a perfect partner for your lovely Havana Club Rum; wonderful image!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

The red stag, the shield, the rounded ends! Terrific knife, Alan! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
(Congrats on the Yankees' pitching acquisition. ;))

Thank you, Gary! Your stag peanut looks tasty! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Here is a photo of my new Barlows below that I took just for you. The top three are single blade.
Thanks for the peanut praise, Dean, and for the group pic of that beautiful bunch of new Case Barlows! :):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Very handsome JJ Martinez! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ebony and ebony:
Dang, dat's a delightful dark duo! :thumbsup::cool::confused:

Thanks, GT, and although I didn't get a second deer, time spent in the woods and fields is always worthwhile to me.
:):cool::cool:

"Croon" no. That would be a bad thing.

Meanwhile, this is in my pocket.
I'm always intrigued when I see your Silver Knight (?), Frank! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
I can relate to your crooning comment. I like to sing, but no one else likes me to sing. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Gary. It was a gift from a friend on the Porch. Great knife.

Those ironwood lambfoots are really something. May tote mine some this week. I thought my favourite knife handle materials were stag and bone, but wood may take top place for me. I have wonderful examples in desert ironwood, rosewood, ebony, olive wood, beech wood, cocobolo, and (soon!) African blackwood. All very special.
I certainly agree with you on the 2019 ironwood Guardians lambsfoot knives, Vince; all different, and almost all striking! :thumbsup::cool::cool: My attitude toward wood handles on pocket knives has also become much more positive over the past 5 years.

Good question, now I have to pull them out to double check.
I'd certainly be interested in reading what you find out. :thumbsup:;):thumbsup:

Great to see one of your fantastic Barlows again, Wayne!! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Thank you Gary!!! I typically carry a different pair along with my daily "car carry":
Another fantastic foursome for you today Gary; love the shadow covers on your Sodbuster!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Beautiful covers on you lamb, Gary; excellent image too!:):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks for the kind comments, JJ. :)
I also appreciate your posting a pic of your 3 classic car knives; what model is that sodbuster style?

Today's totes started life prior to 1954 at opposite ends of the pond; a Christopher Johnson Barlow and an old Pal scout. :)
A couple of Schatt & Morgan totes for today; a Daddy Barlow and a Gunstock Stockman. :)
Capital couple X 2, JJ! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
The wood on the S&M barlow always gets me!

Thanks Gary, I think I might have to get my dancing boots on again! :eek: :D Nice pocketful my friend :thumbsup:
LOL! :D Thanks pal, fantastic pic of your Valley Jack :) :thumbsup:
Morning folks, I hope the new week starts kindly for everyone :) Toting my familiar Hartshead Barlow and a #15 Boy's Knife :thumbsup:
Handsome pair of knives for you, Jack! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Did you polish the stag handles of your HHB recently? The white gleams in that pic!
Thanks for the compliments you sent my way. :)

This Ironwood is something very wonderful.;):thumbsup:
I appreciate your writing that, José. :)

That's a really attractive knife! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup: Is that GEC's version of a muskrat? I often forget how many different styles GEC has built on their 66 frame.

Happy Monday
I have meetings all day, so I'm not going to have any cutting duties. Something small just to fiddle with...
Hey, that's how some people describe me! :rolleyes:
That's a dignified Case, John! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

The Guardian of the Guardians must have hand picked that one for you, Gary!
Really nice grain.

Going to see the ortho surgeon today. Hoping to get the ok to start working
out. Elevating and ice packs helped with the swelling, but gently moving it helped more.
Thanks, Jack. I know quite a few of our members here are walkers/ hikers, including you. I myself love the woods, and am used to getting out for a walk almost everyday. As we age, speaking only for myself, of course!, walking daily is one of the most important things we can do to hang on to what we’ve got. Looking forward to resuming that soon!
Thanks for mentioning my ironwood, Jeff. :)
I hope you can get out and about soon. :thumbsup::thumbsup: I'm not an MD, but I'm a big fan of "range of motion" rehab ASAP when I have some kind of "structural breakdown"; seems to work for me, at least. I agree with you on the value of walking, too. I just checked my FitBit data this morning, and since the week beginning Aug 4 (18 weeks), I've averaged 37.67 miles per week (over 5 mi/day). Don't know if I can keep that up through the snow and ice, but I'll try.

Couple of charmers, Jeff; I really like that Kabar! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Great photo GT :thumbsup:
These two for me today:
Thanks, Tom. :)
Your Lionsteel is a looker! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

You're building up quite a bunch of Bucks recently! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Thank you for your comments, Gary. The ironwood on your lambsfoot is incredible! :thumbsup::thumbsup: A true treasure.
For Muskrat Monday, I'm carrying this Case CV red bone model.
Thanks for sharing your positive opinion of my Valley Jack. :)
Your red muskrat looks lean and lively! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Speaking of Red Bone, I was finally able to land the one knife that has kept me enamored ever since I first saw it. Many, many thanks to Duncan ( @Campbellclanman ) for making it available to me. Paired with another of Charlie's finest SFOs.
Congrats on the red TC, Dylan; superb red/black pic! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

5K Qs 5K Qs - Thank you GT. Your Valley Jack is smashing.
Always enjoy my long walks with Ari.
View attachment 1246714
Thanks for your remark about my Valley Jack, Harvey. :)
Arresting shot of your rosewood HHB! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Despite heavy snowfall it's very dark here all the time :( 9.30 and off to work but it's barely light, by 3 it's dark again plus it gets worse until 23 Dec;) Something to brighten things up needed:) Norfolk is a common carry and here on the apple tree reminds me of June-when it's never dark, 20 hour daylight and more:D
Thanks for the unseasonable, but therapeutic, photo, Will! :):thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

Morning folks, hope everyone's week is going well so far :) I have these two with me today :thumbsup:
Your stag HHB / ebony gunstock is a splendid pairing, Jack! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

This should make a fine pair for a Tuesday... Hope everybody has a good one. :)
Nice! I think that would be a fine pair 8 days a week, John! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I’m totin a couple of SFO’s today. I’ve got a Blood Red Jigged Bone #54 Northfield single spear from DLT and a Rosewood Hartshead Barlow from @Jack Black. :) :thumbsup:
Superb pair of SFOs, Ron; I especially like the rosewood HHB! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Just a little old peanut.
Peanut gallery ;)
...following Rachell's lead :p
Rachel & Gev, your Robeson and Keen Kutter are a vivacious pair of vintage peanuts!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

My trusty 2015 bullnose and the striking schrade walden slim premium stockman.

View attachment 1246844
I can see why that slim stockman is with you almost every day recently!! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Have a great day porch patrons!
My Lloyd was getting lonely. It's on duty today.
These two for me today.
Gary and Tom, I enjoyed seeing a couple of my favorites in Gary's shadow stag and Tom's black Beer Scout Knife! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

When they said you was high class, that was NOT a lie!! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

If you are going to carry two trappers on Tuesday, you might as well make it easy. Queen #11 EO times two:
- Stuart
Tremendous regal 1-blade trapper twins, Stuart! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

These two today
Aged and amazing, Steve! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm totin' my Blood Red TC Barlow and Old Red bone Case Peanut today.
Enchanting rojo mojo, Dean! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Today for me is another Two TEWs Day . Both of them are a Lambfoot ....
Harry
My favorite holiday, Harry! ;):cool::cool:

This one today.
6L8gzMW.jpg
Lamb on whole wheat (?) is a great sandwich, Dave! :cool::cool::D

Today was what I'd consider a pretty typical Minnesota winter day: beautiful, sunny and cold. Not quite ⇧that⇧ cold :D, but not too far off, and certainly the coldest day we've had so far this winter. Eleanor (my 3-year-old) and I were out running errands for a good part of the day, and I had this bright yellow TC with me, which I thought paired well with the day's clear skies and sunshine.
Cheerful knife, Barrett! :cool::cool::thumbsup: I'd certainly not describe Michigan winter as "sunny". We had a couple of hours of sun yesterday, which more than doubled our sunshine total for December. :( I need to start carrying a knife like yours during the winter so I can have some sunshine in my pocket!

These two wooden Wednesday totes from Robeson are closely related electricians; a civilian in Walnut and a soldier in Cocobolo, both from the pre WWII era. :)...
Dynamic Robeson duo, JJ! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Today with GEC #83 in Ebony.;):thumbsup:
[/QUOTE]
I always enjoy seeing your little GEC lockbacks, José!

Sowbelly Stockman this week is a Marbles stag bone model (thanks, Randy):
sowbelly.mark.closed.coinpurse.jpg

Regular stockman this week is the medium size in this "Three Bears" Imperial trio (thanks, Mark):
stockx3.mark.main.jpg

Premium canoe this week is from Böker:
b^3canoe.mark.2open.jpg

Econo-canoe is a Rough Rider Diamond Jim canoe (sold as "smooth black bone"):
canoeDJ.mark.open.jpg

- GT

The red stag, the shield, the rounded ends! Terrific knife, Alan! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
(Congrats on the Yankees' pitching acquisition. ;))

Thanks for the peanut praise, Dean, and for the group pic of that beautiful bunch of new Case Barlows! :):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Very handsome JJ Martinez! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Dang, dat's a delightful dark duo! :thumbsup::cool::confused:

:):cool::cool:

I'm always intrigued when I see your Silver Knight (?), Frank! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
I can relate to your crooning comment. I like to sing, but no one else likes me to sing. :rolleyes:

I certainly agree with you on the 2019 ironwood Guardians lambsfoot knives, Vince; all different, and almost all striking! :thumbsup::cool::cool: My attitude toward wood handles on pocket knives has also become much more positive over the past 5 years.

I'd certainly be interested in reading what you find out. :thumbsup:;):thumbsup:

Great to see one of your fantastic Barlows again, Wayne!! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks for the kind comments, JJ. :)
I also appreciate your posting a pic of your 3 classic car knives; what model is that sodbuster style?

Capital couple X 2, JJ! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
The wood on the S&M barlow always gets me!

Handsome pair of knives for you, Jack! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Did you polish the stag handles of your HHB recently? The white gleams in that pic!
Thanks for the compliments you sent my way. :)

I appreciate your writing that, José. :)

That's a really attractive knife! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup: Is that GEC's version of a muskrat? I often forget how many different styles GEC has built on their 66 frame.

Hey, that's how some people describe me! :rolleyes:
That's a dignified Case, John! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks for mentioning my ironwood, Jeff. :)
I hope you can get out and about soon. :thumbsup::thumbsup: I'm not an MD, but I'm a big fan of "range of motion" rehab ASAP when I have some kind of "structural breakdown"; seems to work for me, at least. I agree with you on the value of walking, too. I just checked my FitBit data this morning, and since the week beginning Aug 4 (18 weeks), I've averaged 37.67 miles per week (over 5 mi/day). Don't know if I can keep that up through the snow and ice, but I'll try.

Couple of charmers, Jeff; I really like that Kabar! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks, Tom. :)
Your Lionsteel is a looker! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

You're building up quite a bunch of Bucks recently! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks for sharing your positive opinion of my Valley Jack. :)
Your red muskrat looks lean and lively! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Congrats on the red TC, Dylan; superb red/black pic! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for your remark about my Valley Jack, Harvey. :)
Arresting shot of your rosewood HHB! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks for the unseasonable, but therapeutic, photo, Will! :):thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT
Thanks. That jigged bone two-blade 66 is called the Mink Skinner, which is definitely a Muskrat style knife. They made these in 2010.

Last edited:
Back