What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Brookes and Crookes/Flat Cap(Sheffield)
CE88379A-F397-4DBD-974D-52A1ABBAF3CE_zpsq3ojztri.jpeg

Today's tote has a story, I'm sure; I just don't know it.

bu9WrjA.jpg

zimX2BU.jpg

RkxUrfD.jpg

- Stuart
Smashing in all their splendor :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Can't seem to free up time this week to comment on all the fine carries posted here (and in other threads) lately, so I guess I'll at least post photos of more of the knives I've had with me this week.
Watch Pocket Knife of the Week is a Case half-congress (thanks for the GAW, @leghog):
View attachment 1249277

Big Knife of the Week is a Rough Rider full-size trapper in amber jigged bone:
View attachment 1249278

Miscellaneous Knife of the Week is is an Imperial Diamond Edge Barlow (thanks, for the GAW, Kevin):
View attachment 1249280

Peanut-like Knife of the Week is a Rough Rider Baby Copperhead:
View attachment 1249282

- GT

Your Case Congress is a real treasure, Gary! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

That is certainly a wonderful old Schrade Barlow Dean; really fond of those "pic bone" covers!:):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you! I am very fortunate to be the current caretaker of this piece of cutlery history.

Dean, your Canal Street bocote Forum knife is sure a grand example! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for your endorsement, Dean. :)
I've gotta guess that Goldilocks would consider large Papa Bear too long and small Baby Bear too short, but medium Mama Bear juuust right! :p

Striking "two for the road", Dean! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

- GT

Thank you for kind comments, Gary.

I toted these two old hunters today, both Case 65 SABs from 1940-1964, one in green, the other in red. As comfortable in hand as old boots are on your feet.

8kq3BQ9.jpg

- Stuart
Blades and boots all look to be designed for heavy duty service, Stuart! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

... Though only around 40 years old, this Sword Brand 89 brought huge smiles when it arrived today!

YSETVNY.jpg
Congrats on the new pick-ups you've been showing off lately, Jeff; I really like the covers on this one! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

View attachment 1248016

I get such a kick out of this knife.
My wife got a real kick out of your photo, LT! :D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I tend to prefer "random", rather than "patterned", jigging on bone, but this particular style of GEC patterned jigging really appeals to me (looks like converging vector fields :rolleyes:)! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Thank you, GT! Nice selection of knives you have with you today, although that Boker Canoe is the star of the show.
Thanks, Dylan; the Beer Barrel series from Böker is quite alluring. :)
Nice BF TC! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Brilliant blade shape on your Böker! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Most certainly Gary!!! That sodbuster pattern is a "Bushcraft folder" from BUDK with quite good Chinese 1095!:eek:
Thank you kindly, that unusual wood is what caught my eye!o_O;)
Quite the fantastic fist full of beauties; from the Sowbelly and 3 Stockmans to your pair of Canoes, quite the bounty of cutlery!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I appreciate the sodbuster ID, JJ, as well as the nice compliment on the knives I posted. :)

My totes for today are a couple of Keen Kutters from post WWII, both wearing black composite covers. :)
A couple BSA totes for Saturday, both from Camillus; a whittler from the 60s and a scout from the late 40s. :)
Quality quartet of dark, textured knives, JJ! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks Gary :) Not at all, it's very rare that I do anything more than oil and sharpen a knife :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Thanks again my friend, nice to see what's in your pockets :) I like the 'Three Bears' pic :cool: :thumbsup:
Hope everyone is having a good Friday 13th :eek: ;) Carrying my 2018 Guardians Lambsfoot SFO, and an Old Friend in the form of an IXL Sheepsfoot today :thumbsup:

8tYF5yj.jpg

oyETSmf.jpg
The knives I use for food get washed after every use, so there's some minor polishing going on when I dry them with towels (cloth or paper). ;)
Thanks for your encouragement, Jack. :)
Your ebony Guardians lamb paired with that I*XL make a tandem that you can carry with relish, Jack! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Half/Stop Half/Stop ~ It’s funny how when we get good news from the doc we don’t ask for a second opinion...
:D:thumbsup::cool:

Carrying this pair to ward off the bad luck on this Black Friday the 13th. :D
That ought to keep the voodoo at bay, John! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

Formidable trio of Imperial stockman knives!;):thumbsup:
Thanks, José. :)

Today in my pocket walk one of those wonderful knives.;):thumbsup:

Tremendous TC twins, José!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Case Sowbelly in camouflage Kirinite and Case Texas Jack.

View attachment 1248347
Interesting covers on that sowbelly stockman, Dean! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Again today : IMHO it is the Knife Of The Year
Harry
Certainly the Most Infatuating Knife of the Year for me (and I'm glad the worst of the infatuation went away after a couple of weeks :rolleyes:)! :eek:;)
Harry, I never noticed until now how interesting and mysterious your wedding band appears to be!

It is a cold, overcast, drizzly day here, so I'm totin' some color for "warmth". A VANCO premium pen (1888-1940) and a Royal Brand "SharpCutter" physician's knife (1914-1954):

zgQCNx9.jpg

- Stuart
Those stripes definitely should thaw the pipes, Stuart! :thumbsup:;):thumbsup:

The canoes are captivating, GT, but the Marbles porkie gets my vote for Tote Me Today.
- Stuart
I'm grateful to read your opinion, Stuart. :) That Marbles has some top-notch stag bone IMHO.

Thank you so much, Jeff! The '17 BF knife was the first forum knife that I had any part in. Despite being a darned near indestructible material, I do think a lot of folks here (myself included sometimes) find it to be a bit off-putting as it doesn't conform well to the traditionalists in us where we favor bone, stag, and wood. From a user standpoint, there is hardly anything better and I do prefer it on my fixed blades. From an aesthetic standpoint though, it takes a backseat to most natural materials, in my humble opinion.
A couple clad in black for me today.

ZPekM1K.jpg
I'm with you, Dylan, regarding ambivalence over micarta for a traditional folder. :thumbsup:;)
Looks like you like your knives and your coffee black!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

A little U.S.-made 33OT refitted with stag...

B5K8xjL.jpg
I just got a nice 33OT last week, and now your photo is giving me ideas, Wayne! :rolleyes::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Morning folks, hope you are all enjoying better weather than we are here at the moment, and that you have a great weekend. Thought I'd pair my 2019 Guardians Lambsfoot and an old Joseph Haywood :) :thumbsup:

Nedeipd.jpg

s0zxZyy.jpg
Lucy in the Sky with Stovepipe Kick! :cool::cool::D

This morning I swapped out the Shuffler that I have been using for the last 10 days for the Presidential. The Shuffler is an excellent modern “Euro Barlow”. The Presidential, one of my favorites.

View attachment 1248874
I'll cast my ballot for that Presidential for sure! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Down to just one Cam today~ the TL-29 I re-covered in cow bone dog chew, and a little Klein coping knife I re-did in elk antler dog chew for Stagurday.View attachment 1248928
That's a pair to be proud of, Jeff! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

An old PAL and a Harness Jack today

Qy8xdGb.jpg
Amazing color resemblance, given what I'd guess is quite a few years between those two knives! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Spartan....

20191214_114549.jpg
The knife is a nice Spartan, but the meal doesn't look spartan at all! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Today and tomorrow I have this fine pair. 861 and old patchy.

View attachment 1249038
Tough to beat that vintage pair! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I’m totin’ a favorite today! :)

42321750204_a7f60a5bc0_o_d.jpg
Ron, you have an almost infinite variety of amazing knives, but I might put your osage orange 73 & 82 at the top of the list! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Schrade Cut Co, Walden, NY Barlow.

View attachment 1249054
[/QUOTE]
Always a treat to see the jigging on that Schrade Barlow, Dean; unforgettable! :eek::cool::cool:

Stag/Horn Knife for me this past week is a Joker my daughter bought for me in Spain:
joker.elle.open.mark.jpg

My lambsfoot this week has been Black Jack, my 2018 ebony Guardians SFO:
BJ.nectarine.slip.jpg

- GT

Last edited:
Certainly the Most Infatuating Knife of the Year for me (and I'm glad the worst of the infatuation went away after a couple of weeks :rolleyes:)! :eek:;)
Harry, I never noticed until now how interesting and mysterious your wedding band appears to be!
- GT
Thanks for the very kind words my friend and the noted interest in my 59 year old wedding ring.

The bottom one in this picture for me today .

Harry

Thank you Grateful, it's an ebay purchase so that's iffy at times but this one turned out really well, solid blades also:thumbsup: Your Barlow is aging nicely:cool:

Ebay is definitely hit or miss. Fortunately for me Case hit a home run when they put my Barlow together and the patina is coming along nicely. :D

What an elite treat that pair is, Ron!! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ron, you're obviously not superstitious if you take a coffin jack, sublime as it may be, to a medical check-up!! :eek::D:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Unless it's some kind of reverse psychology superstition you're using. :rolleyes:

Ron, you have an almost infinite variety of amazing knives, but I might put your osage orange 73 & 82 at the top of the list! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
Gary I am always appreciative of your compliments my friend! :) I hadn’t even thought about Friday being the 13th until the nurse was filling out my paperwork and she mentioned it. :eek:

Thanks a lot JJ, fine-looking pair of Imperials there :) :thumbsup:

Hope everyone is having a lovely weekend, and that you enjoy your Sunday :) Carrying these two again today :thumbsup:
7QoYLbt.jpg

hyIbIq2.jpg
Thank you very much, Jack!!! You certainly can't go wrong with those 2 outstanding jacks!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thank you kind sir !! Makes me feel nostalgic to see your fine photo!
Thank you very kindly, Gev!!!
Quality quartet of dark, textured knives, JJ! :cool::thumbsup::cool:
Stag/Horn Knife for me this past week is a Joker my daughter bought for me in Spain:
joker-elle-open-mark-jpg.1249838

My lambsfoot this week has been Black Jack, my 2018 ebony Guardians SFO:
bj-nectarine-slip-jpg.1249849
Thank you Gary!!! A couple of European stunners for you today; great images!;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thank you kindly, JJ. Your two Scouts are both beautiful and practical.
Brookes and Crookes/Flat Cap(Sheffield)
CE88379A-F397-4DBD-974D-52A1ABBAF3CE_zpsq3ojztri.jpeg
Thanks a lot Harvey!!! Beautiful photo of your wonderful old Brookes & Crookes!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back