What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Qj8MyF1.jpg

Very nice knife! I love the subtle acrylic. That’s the #16, right?

Schrade 5OT and Bantam
wnRKh5j.jpg

6nXJf2P.jpg

Took these two for trail walk with dog.
cG0oLuO.jpg

I’ve always liked the look of those 5OTs, but every time I see one for sale, I end up passing on it because it’s overpriced, or beat up/sharpened to a toothpick, or it’s the Schrade+ stainless version. They are nice looking knives, though! :thumbsup:

Today's birthday carry

I tell ya this H20 from Wurrwulf has quickly become one of my favorite belt knives , it cuts and carries so well.
Especially when I'm at work I can put the knife wherever it's most convenient depending on what I'm doing at the time.

Happy (much belated) birthday!

3DB5LgD.jpg

I love those little GEC fixed blades! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The patina is progressing.
evecTo7.jpg

That patina’s looking good, r8shell! What pattern is that GEC? I know I’ve seen it before, but it’s not one I’m very familiar with.

One of my favorite Pairings

Harry

Outstanding pair, Harry! :cool:

I’ve been carrying this #71 Bull Nose for the last few days.

H0jqa5z.jpg

This morning Eleanor and I cleared the driveway of a couple inches of snow we got last night. She asked for a snow shovel for Christmas, but we haven’t had many opportunities to use it since she got it. I think she’s a natural! :D

0SWZWdy.jpg

KcaEUmd.jpg

Last edited:
It’s a Frontier Powder Horn from Imperial. It was gifted to me by @Will Power after I had shown the one Grandad carried since as long as I could remember.

54-D8-A861-EC76-49-B4-B8-BA-CAA0-E71-E0-F45.jpg

The top one is Grandad’s. The rest I picked up to to sort of complete a series. Great solid knives.
FC0290-B3-8085-48-B1-9-D70-A5-A566-E2-B724.jpg
Wow, I've never seen one of those shields polished down like that. It must have been your granddad's favorite. :):thumbsup:

That patina’s looking good, r8shell! What pattern is that GEC? I know I’ve seen it before, but it’s not one I’m very familiar with.
Thanks. It's a #29 Stockyard Whittler. Pretty much my favorite blade combination: clip/coping/awl.
eJpQxRk.jpg

Wow, I've never seen one of those shields polished down like that. It must have been your granddad's favorite. :):thumbsup:

I remember him teaching me how to make a whistle out of a willow branch with it when we were fishing along the banks of the Mississippi River about 40 or more years ago. So I know he at least carried it for 33 years or more.

I remember him teaching me how to make a whistle out of a willow branch with it when we were fishing along the banks of the Mississippi River about 40 or more years ago. So I know he at least carried it for 33 years or more.

That's pretty awesome, so cool that you have a knife with that kind of backstory to it. I have a couple of my great grandfather's knives but he passed when my mother was a little girl, so I never got to meet him.

Well done. :cool::thumbsup:

Thanks! I put that together that a while back for someone’s birthday here; now I like to use it whenever the opportunity presents itself. :D

Thanks. It's a #29 Stockyard Whittler. Pretty much my favorite blade combination: clip/coping/awl.
eJpQxRk.jpg

Oh yeah. For some reason (maybe it was the patina ;)) I was thinking it was an older GEC pattern, but now I remember they just made those last year. I even looked at buying one, but I was torn between that Tidioute jigged bone and the Grits with Butter & Molasses acrylic, and in the end didn’t end up buying either. :confused:

What a wonderful memory.
Oh yeah. For some reason (maybe it was the patina ;)) I was thinking it was an older GEC pattern, but now I remember they just made those last year. I even looked at buying one, but I was torn between that Tidioute jigged bone and the Grits with Butter & Molasses acrylic, and in the end didn’t end up buying either. :confused:
It was a tough call for me between the jigged bone and the osage wood.

That's pretty awesome, so cool that you have a knife with that kind of backstory to it. I have a couple of my great grandfather's knives but he passed when my mother was a little girl, so I never got to meet him.

This knife here Grandad carried on Okinawa during WWII. He gave it to me in 1997, the year my first daughter was born. He used it up in Alaska and in Montana. Can’t be positive, but pretty sure he had it with him in Eastern Montana when he killed this buck, on the left, because he lived a pretty frugal life and didn’t have extra things he didn’t absolutely need. And in keeping with the thread, I did carry it from the safe to the table for pictures:D

1484-FB84-4-B72-4220-AB56-94-EAE1-E15-B8-C.jpg

Great series of photos Harvey; Ari does look like quite the trooper! :D:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thank you kindly, JJ. I hope your Mother experiences rapid healing and recovery. Nice Victorinox Tinker. Quit nice posing your passion for knife collecting with your Father’s passion for numbers.

@Jack Black - Thank you kindly, Jack. Mighty fine images of your Hartshead and Teamster.

@Gevonovich - Thank you kindly, Gev. Two beautiful images. Lovely colors.

Double treat.
C43BBDF9-F909-4D03-9A3C-F6D1596F76FC.jpeg

Just acquired. GEBR.BERNES.Solingen-Otter. Normally, I would leave the older knives untouched, but I really want to carry this one. It needs blade Spa. Other than that, excellent F&F with plenty of snap, 4 inches closed. I’m not certain, but I think the handles are bone. Then there’s the triple fluted bolster.
F3B70506-EB48-4C0D-B1C5-8971AC96DE7E.jpeg

Double treat.
View attachment 1265060

Just acquired. GEBR.BERNES.Solingen-Otter. Normally, I would leave the older knives untouched, but I really want to carry this one. It needs blade Spa. Other than that, excellent F&F with plenty of snap, 4 inches closed. I’m not certain, but I think the handles are bone. Then there’s the triple fluted bolster.
View attachment 1265061
That Otter is really nice. I Agree, it really needs to be carried.

Back